[News] Brazilian Government Denies Association with Israeli Security Company over 2016 Olympics Contracts

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 12 13:28:45 EDT 2015

  Olympics 2016: Brazilian Government Denies Association with Israeli
  Security Company

author Tuesday May 12, 2015 17:51author by BDS National Commitee
*http://www.imemc.org/article/71555*

    More than 30 Brazilian social movements and progressive
    organisations have called on the Brazilian government to exclude
    International Security and Defence Systems (ISDS) from Olympics
    contracts, after the Israeli company announced, in October of 2014,
    that it had been awarded a $2.2bn deal to coordinate security at the
    games.

The BDS National Comittee <http://www.bdsmovement.net/> recently
reported that, on April 8, the Ministry of Justice’s Special Secretariat
for Mega-events (Sesge/MJ) replied to their letter by explaining that
ISDS has not been awarded any contracts.

The reply from Sesge/MJ also stated that “any contract made by Rio 2016
won’t result in compromises by the Brazilian government”, a phrase
campaigners are now interpreting as a clear sign that government
officials were sympathetic to their demands.

ISDS had originally announced it had been awarded a contract by the
Organising Committee for the 2016 Olympic Games. When overall
responsibility for security at the games shifted to the Brazilian
government, Brazilian social movements began calling on the Brazilian
government to ensure that the apparent deal would not remain in place.

The letter to key Sesge/MJ official Andrei Rodrigues signed by Brazilian
social movements, political parties, workers unions, and different
associations set out how ISDS is accused of having ties to coups, death
squares and dictatorships in Central America, as well as close links
with the Israeli military.

Campaigners are now preparing to pressure the Olympics Committee to
cancel a separate “official supplier” deal with ISDS.

Furthermore, Jaman Juma, coordinador of the Stop the Wall movement, said:

“For us, boycotting this company is paradigmatic: Israel develops its
methodologies and technologies through the killing and repression of the
Palestinian people, and then it sells them worldwide. The end of
military and security relations with Israel is an act of defense. Not
only for the Palestinian people, it is an act of defense for humanity.”

Julio Turra, executive director of the biggest Brazilian workers’ union,
CUT, one of the signatories of the letter to Coesrio2016, said:

“We are glad with the information the government distances itself from
ISDS. It would be illegal and shameful to hire a company that develops
its technologies in complicity with Israeli crimes and that accumulates
complaints about its participation in Central American dictatorships.”

Mahmoud Nawajaa, General Coordinador of the BDS Palestinian National
Committee (BNC), said:

“We welcome the fact that the Brazilian government categorically states
it has no commercial relation with ISDS. We expect that no similar
company will be hired. It is important that Brazil walks towards a fully
military embargo against Israel.”

“Brazilians can be sure they will have the support from the Palestinian
and international civil society on this campaign against ISDS in the
Olympic Games.”

As for future actions, Soraya Misleh, from the Front in Defense of the
Palestinian People explained:

“There will be a wide campaign against the contract celebrated with the
2016 Organizing Committee which makes ISDS an ‘official supplier’ for
the Games. We won’t allowed the Olympic Games in our country to have
such company’s logo in its publicity. It is an insult against all those
who believe in human rights and justice.”

Maristela Pinheiro, from the Rio de Janeiro Committee in Solidarity with
the Palestinian People added:

“There will be for sure a strong campaign against the supplier deal
between ISDS and the 2016 Organizing Committee and we’ll keep monitoring
Coesrio. The Olympics can’t beneficiate companies that profit through
human rights violations. The Games can’t be intensifying repressive
practices in our country, or endorse illegal and immoral actions.”

Felipe Butelli, from the Christian Group Kairos Brazil added:

“The call for military embargo has the support of important
international names, the Nobel Peace Prize winners Desmond Tutu and
Perez Esquivel among them. Brazil can’t follow on the opposite direction.”