[News] Selma, Obama and the Colonization of Black Resistance

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 13 12:10:33 EDT 2015

Weekend Edition March 13-15, 2015
*http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/13/selma-obama-and-the-colonization-of-black-resistance/*

<http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/13/selma-obama-and-the-colonization-of-black-resistance/#><http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/03/13/selma-obama-and-the-colonization-of-black-resistance/#>

*The Master of Propaganda *

  Selma, Obama and the Colonization of Black Resistance

by AJAMU BARAKA

    “To cleanse history in the name of a false patriotism that
    celebrates a new illiteracy as a way of loving the United States is
    a discourse of anti-memory, a willful attempt at forgetting the past
    in the manufactured fog of historical amnesia.”

    /— Henry Giroux/

I tried! In my capacity as a member of the Center for Constitutional
Rights’ Board of Directors (CCR), I traveled to Selma on Friday to
attend the induction of Arthur Kinoy and William Kunstler, two of the
founding lawyers of CCR, into the Selma National Voting Rights Museum.
And even though I knew that I would have to endure Obama’s presence in
Selma on Saturday, my plan was to stay in Selma until Sunday to catch up
with friends and participate in the peoples’ crossing of the Edmund
Pettus Bridge on the anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

But I never saw the sun come up in Selma. Before Air Force One ever
entered Alabama airspace, Obama’s presence overshadowed the
commemoration. In conversations on Friday, I heard over and over again
about how Obama was coming to town to symbolically “close the circle” on
the struggle for voting rights. And though it shouldn’t have, I could
not shake the deep sadness that I felt every time I heard this and
similar comments from so many of my people who still had so much
invested in this cheap pro-imperialist hustler that after the induction
on Friday I found myself on Highway 80 heading out of Selma toward
Montgomery.

I made the right decision.

Obama’s presence on Saturday severely crippled most of the
people-centered discussions and activities that were scheduled for that
day. And as the master propagandist that he is, he gave a magnificent
performance blending themes of “American exceptionalism” with the black
middle-class version of black history and black struggle to give an
emotionally charged twist to an otherwise trite and familiar narrative
of racial uplift and progress toward a more perfect union.

In fact his performance was so effective that very few seemed to
remember that just two days before the Selma speech his Department of
Justice announced that it would not indict the Ferguson killer-cop
Darren Wilson.

And none of the mainstream commentators seem to notice the irony in
President Obama proclaiming progress toward a more perfect union the
morning after another unarmed black teen was gunned down by a cop in
Madison, Wisconsin and that Selma and the civil rights movement
reflected the importance of non-violence as a principle to resolve
social conflicts, while 600 members of the 173^rd Airborne were in the
air traveling to Ukraine to train the neo-Nazi Ukrainian national guard
to wage war against their own citizens.

Malcolm X once said that the black freedom movement wasn’t integrated by
white liberals and their Negro collaborators but was instead
infiltrated. That programmatic and ideological infiltration was on full
display in Selma on Saturday. In the 1950s and 1960s, the political and
ideological space was created for liberal infiltration because of state
repression in the 1950s.  A major target of the post-war national
security state in the 50s was the radical black movement and individual
black radicals. Dozens of radical black activists were prosecuted,
jailed, forced out of the country or confined to a form of national
house arrest by having their passports seized. Some of the more
prominent names associated with this repression included W.E.B. Dubois,
Claudia Jones, William Patterson and Paul Robeson.

However, radical human rights organizing and resistance continued,
especially in the South. Building on the work that took new
organizational forms in the 1930s, a solid social base of organized
resistance was established that, while it suffered in the repressive
environment of the 50s, nevertheless, provided the social base for what
was renamed as the “civil rights movement” reflecting the growing
hegemony of more conservative elements of the black freedom movement
that started to garner more liberal institutional support.

The elevation of Dr. King after he was chosen by labor leader E.D Nixon
to be the face of the Montgomery Improvement Association’s bus boycott
and the subsequent creation of the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference (SCLC) that provided Dr. King a broader organizational base
was facilitated by powerful white allies. Dr. King and SCLC didn’t just
give voice to ongoing struggles throughout the Southern region but in
many cases they were grafted onto some of those struggles that had a
more militant, independent working class social base and set of
objectives. And while the racial caste system mitigated the disperate
class perspectives and interests within the movement in the 50s and
early 60s, the experiences of the Lowndes county Black Panther Party,
the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party (MFDP) and the influences of
Malcolm X, Robert F. Williams and the Revolutionary Action Movement
(RAM) as well as other radical black organizations, progressively
sharpened the class and programmatic contradictions of movement by the
mid- 60s.

It was precisely the intensification of the black struggle for
democratic and human rights that resulted in the state concession
reflected in the Voting Rights Act (VRA) of 1965. But it was the
systemic contradiction of ongoing colonial/capitalist reality of the
black poor and working classes in the South and the urban areas where
blacks had migrated during the second great migration that facilitated
the explosion in Watts just five days after the passage of the VRA. The
rebellion in Watts was the first in over three hundred urban rebellions
that would take place over the next few years.

This was the context that facilitated the placement of Dr. King and SCLC
by powerful elements of the ruling elite on front of, and in some cases
on top of work being carried out by local organizations, including
attempting to displace the national influence and work of the Student
Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC).

Today Barack Obama in his role as the President of the U.S. and chief
spokesperson for the white ruling class, and as a representative of the
“new” black professional-managerial class, has been assigned the task to
explain and legitimate the ongoing subjugation of the black poor and
working class five decades after the reform legislation of the 60s.

The speech in Selma, with all of its pro-“American” and settler
colonialist sentimentality was delivered with a world audience in mind.
Its ideological objective was to counter the idea of an irreconcilable
black opposition by co-opting black resistance and imposing a
conservative meaning of black oppositional politics.

The presence of George Bush and the imagery of Bush and Obama with the
masses of black people behind them as they jointly crossed the bridge
was meant to symbolically close any gap between the policies of the Bush
and Obama Administrations’ that may have existed in the imagination of
people outside of the U.S. related to black people and their loyalty to
the U.S. state.

The message that Obama’s speech was meant to convey was that despite
killer-cops, mass incarceration and grinding poverty no one should be
confused: you will not split black folks away from the state because
these black folks /belong/ to us.

And judging by the paucity of criticism or even discussion of the
Department of Justice’s decision last week not to indict Wilson and the
unrestrained praise of Obama’s speech in various black media outlets, it
is once again mission accomplished for the propagandist in chief.

/*Ajamu Baraka* is a human rights activist, organizer and geo-political
analyst. Baraka is an Associate Fellow at the Institute for Policy
Studies (IPS) in Washington, D.C. and editor and contributing columnist
for the Black Agenda Report. He is a contributor to “Killing Trayvons:
An Anthology of American Violence
<http://store.counterpunch.org/product/killing-trayvons/>” (Counterpunch
Books, 2014). He can be reached at info.abaraka at gmail.com
<mailto:info.abaraka at gmail.com> and www.AjamuBaraka.com