[News] Fidel Castro and Evo Morales Condemn US Sanctions on Venezuela

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 10 12:24:51 EDT 2015

  Fidel Castro and Evo Morales Condemn US Sanctions on Venezuela

  Published 10 March 2015

*http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Fidel-Castro-and-Evo-Morales-Condemn-US-Sanctions-on-Venezuela-20150310-0009.html*

Cuba says President Barack Obama's executive order on Venezuela has
“little credibility.”

More Latin American countries rallied behind Venezuela Tuesday to
condemn new U.S. sanctions against the South American nation.

The Cuban government has slammed the U.S. sanctions as “arbitrary and
aggressive.”

“How is Venezuela a threat to the United States? Thousands of kilometers
away, without strategic weapons and without the resources … to conspire
against the U.S. constitutional order; the (White House) declaration has
little credibility,” read a statement published in newspaper Granma.

Former Cuban President Fidel Castro has also praised Venezuelan
President Nicolas Maduro's “brilliant and valiant” response to what he
described as “brutal” U.S. plans against Venezuela. The comments were
made in a short letter to Maduro on Monday night.

Earlier in the day, Bolivia's President Evo Morales said the regional
blocs CELAC and UNASUR should immediately hold an “emergency meeting,”
arguing the U.S. sanctions pose a threat to “all of Latin America and
the Caribbean.”

"We condemn, we repudiate, in the 21st Century we won’t accept this kind
of intervention by the United States,” Morales said. “All of our
solidarity and our support goes to President Maduro, and the
revolutionary Bolivarian government and people of Venezuela.”

UNASUR's head and other regional leaders including Ecuador's President
Rafael Correa have already slammed
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/UNASUR-Supports-Venezuela-Against-Any-External-Interference-20150310-0006.html>
the White House's decision to impose more sanctions on Venezuela.

On Monday, President Barack Obama declared Venezuela an “unusual and
extraordinary threat
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Obama-Declares-Venezuela-a-Threat-to-National-Security-20150309-0011.html>”
to the United States.

Obama also issued sanctions on several high ranking Venezuelan
government officials. The measures were issued under an executive order.
In the past, the Obama administration has condemned Maduro for using
executive orders to pass legislation.

“We believe the separation of powers and the presence of independent
branches of government are essential elements of democracy," a White
House spokesperson said in 2013, after Maduro used an executive order to
pass legislation aimed at stabilizing consumer prices.

Read more about Obama's executive order on Venezuela here
<http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/US-Preparing-for-Military-Aggression-on-Venezuela-20150309-0034.html>.