[News] A window to hell in Gaza

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 10 11:11:23 EDT 2015

  A window to hell in Gaza

Max Blumenthal <https://electronicintifada.net/people/max-blumenthal>
The Electronic Intifada
<https://electronicintifada.net/people/electronic-intifada> 10 July 2015
*https://electronicintifada.net/content/window-hell-gaza/14679*

Spending the day of 17 August in Khuzaa
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/khuzaa> was like peering through a
window to hell. But what we witnessed in the landscape of apocalyptic
oblivion paled in comparison to the experience described to me by two
Palestine Red Crescent
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/palestine-red-crescent-society>
volunteers who had attempted to break through the Israeli military
cordon during the siege of the town.

Twenty-five-year-old Ahmed Awad and 24-year-old Ala’a Alkusofi arrived
at the edge of Khuzaa at a time when Red Cross ambulance crews refused
to travel anywhere near the town. They said they had come to collect the
body of a man whom soldiers had lashed to a tree by both arms and shot
in the leg. When they arrived at the site, the soldiers ordered the
driver of their ambulance, Muhammed Abadla, to exit the vehicle. When he
obliged, they told him to walk five meters forward and switch on a
flashlight. As soon as he flicked the light on, the soldiers shot him in
the chest and killed him.

“It was something I’ll never forget,” Awad recalled, “seeing a colleague
killed like that in front of me. I couldn’t believe what I witnessed.”

The two Red Crescent volunteers told me they later found a man in Khuzaa
with rigor mortis, holding both hands over his head in surrender, his
body filled with bullets. Deeper in the town, they discovered an entire
family so badly decomposed they had to be shoveled with a bulldozer into
a mass grave. In a field on the other side of town, Awad and Alkusofi
found a shell-shocked woman at least 80 years of age hiding in a chicken
coop. She had taken shelter there for nine days during the siege, living
off of nothing but chicken feed and rain water. “She couldn’t believe it
when we found her,” said Alkusofi. “She was sure she would die with the
chickens.”

    Horror stories

In nearly every shattered home I entered in Khuzaa, on every
bomb-cratered street, in destroyed mosques and vandalized schools, I
heard horror stories like this. Every resident I met in this town was
touched by the violence in one way or another. While visiting the town,
I wandered into the courtyard of a rehabilitation clinic for women and
children afflicted with Continuous Traumatic Stress Disorder — a
condition that affects a solid majority of youth in Gaza.

Located on a street lined with four-story apartments pockmarked with
bullets and tank shells, the school was completely empty, but the signs
of an Israeli presence were everywhere. As we entered, we found Stars of
David spray painted by soldiers across the walls
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/murder-holes-and-hooligan-chants-images-israels-war-crimes/14320>,
right below colorful heart-shaped paper cut-outs bearing the names of
students. In the closet of an administrative office that was neatly kept
except for a few scattered papers, I found a spent M72 Light Anti-Tank
Weapon. It was one of the shoulder-mounted launching tubes manufactured
in Mesa, Arizona, by the Norwegian-owned Nammo arms corporation. The
weapon had been used by the Israelis to rocket civilian homes across
Gaza’s boundary regions.

In a classroom across the courtyard, sunrays burst through a gaping hole
in the wall about the size of a 120mm tank shell. They shone light on a
series of colorful posters decorated with matching ribbons that
contained motivational messages. They read:

/It always seems impossible until it’s done /

/Stay alive/

/Look to the future/

/No negative thoughts allowed/

We wandered around the corner, past a group of children filling a jug of
water from a truck that replaced the water tower Israeli forces
detonated, past the giant dome of the Ebad al-Rahman mosque, which now
sat on a pile of rubble next to the toppled water tower like the ancient
ruins of some bygone empire. Nearby, we entered a small courtyard
surrounded by a warren of shattered homes. At the edge of the yard, a
small boy lay impassively in his bed in a room with no walls. A ceiling
fan that looked as though it had been melted dangled above his head. In
the center of the yard sat a gigantic olive green barrel. It was a spent
Giant Viper round — one of the C4-packed mine clearing devices the
Israelis fired into the center of Khuzaa during the assault on the town.
A hen flapped its wings next to the barrel and chased after baby chicks
bouncing through the rubble.

“Where are you from?” an old man called out to me from the road. He wore
large spectacles and a morning robe, his front pocket stuffed with paper
notepads, various cards and a glasses holder. He reminded me of my older
Jewish relatives who came of age before the digital era and grew
accustomed to carrying stacks of business cards, coupons and handwritten
reminders in their shirt and coat pockets along with assorted mints and
pens.

“I’m from America,” I told the man, readying for an indignant response.

“Ahhhh, /Amreeka/,” he grumbled. “I want to thank the American people,”
the man continued, advancing to within two feet of me. “They are nice
people, they give us food and bread and they give the Israelis weapons
to kill us. They have different standards. It would be nice if they
treated us all as humans.”

    “We love life”

He introduced himself as Ali Ahmed Qudeh, the father of Kamal Qudeh, the
doctor who treated the town’s wounded under heavy bombardment and in
spite of being injured himself. Like his son, Ali Ahmed was a supporter
of Fatah <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/fatah>, the rivals of
Hamas <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/hamas>. And like virtually
everyone I met in Gaza, he was an ardent supporter of the armed
resistance of the Qassam Brigades, Hamas’ armed wing. “Our weapons are
not terrorist weapons, our weapons are [for] self-defense,” he insisted.
“Our weapons are to free our land. We are dignified people, we love
life. We don’t hate life like they say. But we’ll die for our land.”

As a group of small children gathered in the courtyard, Ali Ahmed
detailed to me how many family members each child lost in the assault on
Khuzaa. Pointing at the little boy lying in bed, he suggested that the
most devastating consequence of the war was not the death toll, but the
psychological impact on the youngest members of his community.

“That kid wants to make an atomic bomb and obliterate Israel!” he
roared. “Why? Because he saw his family members die in front of him! How
can you raise kids who want to make bombs?”

When I made my way back into the road, I heard Ali Ahmed call after me
again. He was rushing forward through the rubble with a tray of sweets.
“I don’t mean to say that all Americans are bad,” he said, urging me to
take a freshly baked cookie. “It’s the government that’s the problem,
not the people.”

Just then, an Israeli squadron of American-made F-16s roared through the
sky. A small girl standing beside me ducked reflexively at the sound of
the jets, bracing for another missile strike. The war was far from over.

/This essay is excerpted from Max Blumenthal’s new book,/ The 51 Day
War: Ruin and Resistance in Gaza /published by Nation Books./

/Max Blumenthal is an award winning journalist and bestselling author.
His previous books include/ Goliath: Life and Loathing in Greater Israel
/(2013, Nation Books)./