[News] 37 Palestinian Children Exiled From Their Homes In Jerusalem, 253 Under House Arrest

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 27 10:45:59 EST 2015

  Report: “37 Children Exiled From Their Homes In Jerusalem, 253 Under
  House Arrest”

author Tuesday January 27, 2015 12:24author by Saed Bannoura
*http://www.imemc.org/article/70384*

Jerusalem Families Forced To Be Jailers of Their Own Children

    The Palestinian Committee of Detainees and Ex-Detainees has reported
    that Israel’s ongoing kidnappings of Palestinian children in
    occupied Jerusalem have led to more than 1500 abductions, since the
    beginning of 2014, while 37 children are currently not allowed back
    home, and 253 children are forced to live under house arrest.

The Head of the Census Department of the Palestinian Prisoners
Committee, Abdul-Nasser Ferwana, told the IMEMC that the abductions of
the children all took place since the beginning of 2014, but the number
of abductions escalated starting in July.

He said the latest abduction campaign carried out against Palestinian
children is the biggest in many years.

The Committee reported that kidnapped children are sent to Israeli
military courts, and are prosecuted as adults, while the courts
continuously impose high fines on their families. In addition, the
Israeli courts often force the children away from their homes for a
certain period, accompanied by a parent or an older family member, while
many are forced to remain under house arrest for extended periods.

The Committee confirmed that 37 children are currently under orders
denying them access to their own neighborhoods and homes, and 253 more
are currently living as prisoners in their own homes, under house arrest.

The courts force the families to sign affidavits to abide by the
rulings, and if the child violates those agreements, the parents are
themselves imprisoned or fined, and the child sent back to prison.

The Committee said this type of punishment turns the parents into
jailers of their own children, thus turning the verdicts into compounded
punishment against entire families.

Children who are forced to live under house arrest, or those exiled from
their homes and neighborhoods, have to wear ankle monitors directly
supervised by the Israeli Police, and the security forces.

The Prisoners’ Committee denounced the Israeli procedures and rulings
against the children, and said such measures are direct violations of
International Law and all related international conventions on the
protection of children, especially the “Convention on the Rights of the
Child.”

On Monday January 26th, the Palestinian TV published a report about a
child, identified as Ahmad Salhab, 15 years of age, who was forced to
endure house arrest for eight months, followed by two months of exile
from his family home in Jerusalem.

Salhab is allowed to go to school as long as a parent accompanies him
there, and back home, in the morning and after school ends for the day.

He spent the two months of exile from his home at his aunt’s place in
Jabal al-Mokabber in occupied Jerusalem.

“I cannot go to school on my own; I can’t be in the street without a
parent; usually, my mother takes me to school, and my father brings me
home,” Salhab told the Palestinian TV, “I am not allowed to leave home
for any other reason, I can’t even go on a trip with my parents..."

Amjad Abu ‘Asab, head of the Detainees Parents Committee in Jerusalem,
said the Israeli rulings and restrictions are impacting the children’s
relations with their parents, who have to act like jailers at home, in
order to avoid having their children imprisoned by Israel.

“These violations are causing various psychological issues to the
children; many suffer from bladder incontinence due to psychological
trauma,” he said, “The children become more isolated, more distanced
from their families and friends. What Israel is doing is a well
calculated policy to destroy the social fabric of our society.”

Related:

Clashes in East Jerusalem Following Assault of 10-year-old Palestinian
<http://www.imemc.org/article/%E2%80%9Dhttp://www.imemc.org/article/70369%E2%80%9D>

3755 Children Kidnapped In Past Four Years, 1266 in 2014 Alone
<http://www.imemc.org/article/%E2%80%9Dhttp://www.imemc.org/article/70143%E2%80%9D>

Palestinian Children Assaulted While in Israeli Custody
<http://www.imemc.org/article/69473>

Tariq Abu Khdeir Sentenced to House Arrest
<http://www.imemc.org/article/68362>