[News] The Search for Identity - Ariana Varela - an Archives Intern

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 17 15:32:44 EST 2015

    The Search for Identity
    <http://blog.freedomarchives.org/the-search-for-identity/>

Posted on December 15, 2015
<http://blog.freedomarchives.org/the-search-for-identity/>
*http://blog.freedomarchives.org/the-search-for-identity/*<http://blog.freedomarchives.org/the-search-for-identity/#respond>

During my third semester at the Freedom Archives I cataloged the raw
audio materials of Colin Edwards’ series on Californians of Mexican
Descent. In this ten part radio program from the early 1960s, Edwards
interviewed Mexican-Americans from various socioeconomic backgrounds in
order to create a comprehensive series that grasps the multiplicity of
the Mexican-American experience. Through a series of patterned questions
asked to each interviewee, themes including conflict over identities,
pressures towards assimilation and divisions between generations, were
all explored. It was interesting to find that many of the themes present
in this series are sentiments that still exist within Chican@
communites. There is an underlying sense of not qualifying as solely
Mexican or American, but rather needing to successfully navigate through
and occupy both spheres. Although there were many relatable issues, one
thing that struck me when listening to these interviews was the various
outlooks towards discrimination faced by the Mexican-American community.

Accounts of racial, social and economic discrimination varied amongst
the interviewees but having grown up in a predominantly Latino
community, I was unaware of discrimination towards Chican at s in
educational or professional settings. I never felt like a “minority” in
the community which I grew up in and those surrounding me I was always
part of a majority population where there was no discrimination based on
being “other”. It was not until I moved away for college that I was made
so conscious of my ethnicity and culture. At home, it was easy to
navigate being Mexican-American because most people were Latino so there
was a semblance of a shared experience. Now that I have left that
comfort zone and I interact with diverse populations I feel the need to
be an American who simultaneously embodies and educates others on the
whole Latino experience, who points out the intersections of gender,
race and economic standing. In college, a defining feature of my
identity is the fact that I am Mexican. I am often questioned about my
language, customs and asked to challenge ill-informed stereotypes. At
home I am seen as too American because I am not fluent in Spanish and I
don’t retain traditional customs and beliefs, I am deviating from my
upbringing.

After listening to individuals sharing their sentiments and experiences,
I felt a sort of validation. Never before had I worked with materials in
an academic setting that explores what for me is a lived reality. Seeing
this specific form of social history documented and studied in such a
way reinforces the importance of individual lived realities. Even in
institutions of higher education where students are actually given the
chance to study different histories, they don’t always get the chance to
work with such personal accounts that resonate with and reinforce
overarching historical themes.

If you would like to support our internship program you can make a
donation here. <https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>

-Ariana Varela