[News] University of Illinois Chancellor resignation - What Illinois Kept Secret

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 10 11:15:13 EDT 2015

*https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/10/u-illinois-releases-inappropriately-withheld-emails-controversies-over-salaita-and*

  What Illinois Kept Secret

August 10, 2015

    By

Scott Jaschik <https://www.insidehighered.com/users/scott-jaschik>

As Hillary Clinton has learned the hard way, using your personal email
account when doing government work doesn't make the content of those
emails exempt from public records laws. The University of Illinois
System announced
<http://uofi.uillinois.edu/emailer/newsletter/77321.html> its own email
scandal Friday afternoon, admitting that some senior officials -- whom
it did not name -- used private email accounts for official business and
failed to turn over some of those email records in response to public
records requests, as required.

While the university did not name the "certain administrative personnel"
who didn't turn over their private email records, there is at least
circumstantial evidence indicating that Phyllis M. Wise, chancellor of
the flagship campus at Urbana-Champaign, is among them. Many of the
email records that were now released were either from or to the
chancellor. And the announcement of the email violations came a day
after Wise announced that she would be quitting her position
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/07/chancellor-u-illinois-urbana-champaign-resigns> as
of next week.

The emails suggest that the private accounts were used (despite clear
university policy that they are covered by open records requests) to
keep matters private. In one email, Wise quotes Robin Kaler, Wise's
chief spokeswoman, as warning "me and others not to use email since we
are now in a litigation phase. We are doing virtually nothing over our
Illinois email addresses. I am ever careful with this email address and
deleting after sending."

Numerous emails contain references that are likely embarrassing to the
senders and the subjects -- and the email provides a look at the kinds
of conversations that senior administrators never like to be visible.
For instance, Ilesanmi Adesida, provost at Urbana-Champaign, emailed
Wise about the search for a system president whom Adesida wrote in the
email might not be needed. He told the chancellor: "I agree, this place
is messed up."

The emails provide new details on some of the biggest messes at Illinois
in the last two years. They show how Wise and other senior
administrators (and some faculty members) viewed their controversial
decision to block the hiring of Steven Salaita. And the emails show how
the Illinois board chair put strong pressure on the administration to do
something about James Kilgore, an adjunct who briefly lost his job
because of his past involvement with the Symbionese Liberation Army. In
both cases, the email records show high-level administrators and board
members involved in academic decisions normally left to academic
departments.

*The Salaita Case*

he outlines of the Salaita case
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/08/06/u-illinois-apparently-revokes-job-offer-controversial-scholar> have
been clear for a year -- he was offered a tenured job in the American
Indian Studies program at Urbana-Champaign, and the hire was
sufficiently far along that he had quit his previous job (at Virginia
Tech) and been assigned classes to teach at Illinois for fall 2014. But
Wise intervened at the last minute and said that

  she would not forward the Salaita appointment to the board for
approval, and that he didn't have a job. She did so after publicity over
Salaita's Twitter feed, where he wrote passionately about the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict in ways that struck many supporters of
Israel as uncivil and hostile to Israel and supporters of that nation.

Once the controversy started, Salaita and many faculty members
maintained that he had been fired, without the due process Illinois
promises tenured faculty members. This is part of a federal lawsuit
Salaita filed against the university -- and on which a judge on Friday
refused a request by Illinois to dismiss
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/07/judge-rejects-move-u-illinois-dismiss-salaita-lawsuit>.

Wise and her supporters maintained that Salaita was not fired, but that
he simply had never been hired, as the board never gave its approval. As
a result, they said he wasn't entitled to the due process of a tenured
faculty member.

The 294 pages of emails
<https://www.uillinois.edu/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=278006> involving
Salaita released Friday show, however, multiple references by Wise and
other Illinois officials to Salaita already having been offered a job at
the time that Wise blocked him from starting it. The emails don't show a
debate about what to do about a proposed hire moving through the system,
but about one that has effectively been made.

For example, an email from Wise just prior to her telling Salaita he
could not take up his position said, "Let me add that the hateful,
totally unprofessional and unacceptable Twitters have appeared mainly
since July. This is after the decision to hire him and after his
acceptance of our offer. It reveals a side of a person that I believe
makes it difficult for him to contribute to the culture of respect,
collegiality, collaboration that we hold so dear," she wrote.

The emails also make clear that Illinois acted against Salaita on the
basis of the Twitter comments. This could be important legally as he has
maintained -- with backing from numerous academic and civil liberties
groups -- that his posts are protected expression under the First
Amendment. But Wise in her emails suggests that there are limits to
protected expression.

In one, she says, "The real question for me is when does freedom of
speech cross the line into hateful, harassing unprofessional speech and
action." (While there has been much criticism of Salaita's comments and
tone, there have not been reports of unprofessional "action" by him, and
it is unclear what Wise means there.)

The emails also reveal a constant exchange of ideas and gossip about how
various faculty groups at Urbana-Champaign and elsewhere responded to
the controversy as it continued from last summer into the fall. Many
academic departments at Illinois and many groups nationally condemned
the university for preventing Salaita from taking up his position. But
Wise also had strong support from many faculty members in the sciences
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/09/22/salaita-case-illustrates-two-cultures-academe-many-experts-say>,
who viewed Wise's overall management of the university more favorably.

The records that were released show Wise receiving advice from
scientists on the situation and on understanding their colleagues in the
humanities.

Douglas Beck, a physics professor whose emails show sympathy for Wise
and her handling of the situation, wrote to her, "There is a crisis of
value, most deeply felt in the humanities. There is surely a component
of self-pity and desire to play the victim; but I think we too are at
fault in not taking enough time to explain how important we believe,
e.g., the humanities, to be, especially their stand-alone, intrinsic
value (not associated with interdisciplinary etc. activities) ….

"There seems to be a belief that the campus can operate almost
completely as a democracy, where the faculty have the final say in every
important decision. They somehow don't understand or choose to ignore
all the work that goes on outside their offices that allows them to
teach their classes and seminars, read and write, with little
interference …. This may define the two cultures" on campus, he added.

That email message is already being criticized
<http://goodenoughprofessor.blogspot.com/2015/08/when-i-first-started-blogging-about.html?spref=tw> online
by other faculty members.

Salaita did not respond to a request to comment on the emails released
Friday but he did comment on Twitter, and focused on the new evidence
that senior Illinois officials considered that he had in fact been hired.

In one tweet, he wrote, "I wish UIUC apologists would just admit they're
glad I got fired b/c of my views. The 'but, but he wasn't hired' routine
is embarrassing." In another, he said, "Misrepresenting academic hiring
protocol to suit a pro-Israel POV you're too coy to vocalize screws over
everybody, not just political foes."

*The Kilgore Case*

James Kilgore was hired as an adjunct in global studies and urban
planning in 2011 and earned good reviews until 2014, when /The
News-Gazette/, a local newspaper, published an article about his past.
He was hired at Illinois two years after leaving prison, where he served
time for his involvement with a 1975 bank robbery in which a woman was
killed (Kilgore was not the gunman).

He told those hiring him about his past -- he was a member of the
Symbionese Liberation Army,  a group best known for kidnapping the
heiress Patty Hearst. After the /News-Gazette/article ran, Kilgore was
summoned to a meeting with the provost and told that future teaching
there was unlikely and that sections for him to teach -- already
approved by relevant departments -- were being held up
<https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/05/08/contract-renewal-adjunct-criminal-past-raises-academic-freedom-concerns-illinois>.

University officials denied that there was anything out of the ordinary
about their involvement in blocking Kilgore from teaching, but many
professors said it was a violation of the rights of Kilgore and the
departments that wanted him to teach to prevent him from doing so, when
there was no evidence that he had violated any university policies.
After several panels reviewed the situation, Kilgore was permitted to
return to teaching, and he has courses scheduled for this fall. (Kilgore
no longer supports the ideas of the Symbionese Liberation Army.)

What the new emails on Kilgore
<https://www.uillinois.edu/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=278003> show
is that there was strong pressure from Christopher Kennedy, then chair
of the Illinois board, to bar anyone in Kilgore's position from
teaching. Kennedy also expressed the view that the university "needs to,
in many ways, reflect the values of the state." The Kennedy email backs
up the views of many faculty members, who said that Kennedy and other
trustees were inappropriately involved in decisions about faculty hiring.

In an email from Kennedy to Robert Easter, then president of the
university system, after the /News-Gazette/ article appeared, Kennedy
wrote that "the story will be offensive to taxpayers."

"I think they are going to be offended by the notion that their taxes
are going to support the lifestyle and career of a fellow who tried to
overthrow the U.S. government and targeted police officers and innocent
victims for killings," Kennedy said, adding that he believes that those
who serve prison terms deserve the chance to go on with life but that he
was "uncomfortable" with the idea that "the second chance should come
from public support."

Kennedy, a son of Robert F. Kennedy, who was assassinated, noted that he
has personal experiences that shape his opinions on issues. But he said
that the university can't be surprised by incivility by students "given
that we have held up to the students as examples people like this
fellow, who thought it was OK to target cops and noncombatants for
murders as an expression for political disagreement."

And he suggested that the university must generally pay more attention
to the views of state citizens. "I think the university, as the state's
public university, needs to, in many ways, reflect the values of the
state," Kennedy wrote. "If we become too cavalier in our attitudes about
this, then the people of the state and their representatives will
respond. They'll hinder our ability to free ourselves of unwanted
procurement rules, they'll limit our ability to provide supplemental
retirement benefits, they'll acquiesce to a decrease in … support for
the university."

Kilgore, via email to /Inside Higher Ed/, offered this reaction to the
newly released emails:

"These emails show that the motivation to get rid of me came from the
Board of Trustees. They further confirm that early on in this process
the university was aware that I had not concealed anything about my
background when I was hired. This issue has prompted the university to
recognize that addressing people's criminal backgrounds is an issue they
cannot avoid in our present context.

"With 70 million people in the U.S. with criminal records and almost 20
million with felony convictions, we who have felony convictions are no
longer an aberration. I only hope the university will use the
opportunity to develop a policy to open the door to people who have
felony convictions and give them the second chance that their 'Inclusive
Illinois' slogan implies. I also hope that the development of a policy
will eliminate any urges from Board of Trustee members to intervene in
hiring decisions, especially at the level of academic hourly."