[News] Freedom Archives and interns featured on California Report

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat Jul 5 12:15:11 EDT 2014

*http://www.californiareport.org/archive/R201407041630/d*

/[not that we are a museum, but it's a cool story thanks to Theresa
Adams. Unfortunately her voice isn't used on air. But listen at the link
above to our great interns. We recently attended and spoke at their
MetWest graduation. Both Oscar and Guayo are moving on to do great
things (and we hope to stay in touch with them for years to come)]/

    San Francisco Museum Archives Social Activism

Download audio (MP3)
<http://www.kqed.org/.stream/anon/radio/tcrmag/2014/07/2014-07-04d-tcrmag.mp3>

[Archivist Nathaniel More (L) and director Claude Marks in the Freedom
Archive office in the Mission District. (Image credit: Theresa Adams/KQED)]
Theresa Adams/KQED
Archivist Nathaniel More (L) and director Claude Marks in the Freedom
Archive office in the Mission District.

Reporter: Theresa Adams

It’s a place where moments in history are captured. At The Freedom
Archives, the images and words of social activists are collected from
vinyl, tape and film, and then restored, digitized and archived. It
connects political events of the past with information seekers in the
present.

  “We’re fed up with all the exploitation,” says Cesar Chavez in a
speech before hundreds of people about a historic protest, which caused
some consumers to stop buying grapes and made some growers offer fair
wages to migrant workers. “We’re fed up with being the worst-paid
workers in America. We’re fed up with being exploited. We want a new
life. We want a union. We wanted to do something for ourselves and our
families, and they went on strike.”

This audio clip of Chavez — and many others like it — can be found in
the modest offices of The Freedom Archives
<http://www.freedomarchives.org> in San Francisco's Mission District.

“One of the things we find tremendously rewarding is when the material
in the archive can be repurposed,” says archives director Claude Marks.
“We don’t feel an ownership of it as much as a responsibility to protect
and restore this kind of material.”

The archive came to life when a group of film, radio and video producers
found they’d collected tons of material documenting social movements in
the Bay Area and throughout the U.S., Marks says. They decided to
preserve the information in one space and make it available to the
public, some for free.  Filmmakers, commercial producers, teachers and
students all come digging for rare sound treasures.

Oscar Davalos is a senior at MetWest High School in Oakland. He's also
an intern at The Freedom Archives. Because of his interest in the social
movement of the '60s and '70s, he thought it was the perfect place for
an internship.

“A lot of social movements that happened in the past connect to today
and a lot of the struggles happening,” Davalos says.

His favorite discovery so far is a recording of Assata Shakur, a Black
Panther Party member convicted of first-degree murder in 1977. After
escaping from prison in 1979, she sought asylum in Cuba, where she gave
a speech promoting Black Nationalism.

Davalos’ classmate, Jose Cartagena, is also an intern at The Freedom
Archives. He is curious about his family’s life in El Salvador and uses
the archives to piece together bits of information about their time there.

“My parents would tell me some crazy stories that happened to them when
they were in the country when the Civil War started,” Cartagena says.
“While going through the folder, I read some articles and periodicals
and newspapers about stuff that happened there. The connection was
really interesting.”

Students who come through here get a different sort of education and
often begin to really enjoy history, Marks says.

“What they find very life changing oftentimes is that there is actually
a history of communities of resistance that’s not just about memorizing
lists of white presidents over the years,” he says.

Some young people today seem to be uninterested in political and social
movements of the past. Cartagena and Davalos hope to pass along what
they learn about these events to other students, so they see how the
past and present are often intertwined.

They have been so inspired by The Freedom Archives, they say, that they
started their own news blog <http://youngoakland.com>, Young Oakland.

- See more at:
http://www.californiareport.org/archive/R201407041630/d#sthash.dQmFJG3I.dpuf

[...]

the modest offices of The Freedom Archives in San Francisco's Mission