[News] The Militarization of U.S. Police: Finally Dragged Into the Light by the Horrors of Ferguson

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 14 14:32:37 EDT 2014

*https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/14/militarization-u-s-police-dragged-light-horrors-ferguson/*

      The Militarization of U.S. Police: Finally Dragged Into the Light
      by the Horrors of Ferguson

By Glenn Greenwald
<https://firstlook.org/theintercept/staff/glenn-greenwald/> 14 Aug 2014,
8:40 AM EDT 147
<https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/08/14/militarization-u-s-police-dragged-light-horrors-ferguson/#comments>

The intensive militarization of America’s police forces is a serious
menace about which a small number of people have been loudly warning for
years, with little attention or traction. In a 2007 paper
<http://cjmasters.eku.edu/sites/cjmasters.eku.edu/files/21stmilitarization.pdf>
on “the blurring distinctions between the police and military
institutions and between war and law enforcement,” the criminal justice
professor Peter Kraska defined “police militarization” as “the process
whereby civilian police increasingly draw from, and pattern
themselves around, the tenets of militarism and the military model.”

The harrowing events of the last week in Ferguson, Missouri – the fatal
police shooting of an unarmed African-American teenager, Mike Brown, and
the blatantly excessive and thuggish response to ensuing community
protests from a police force that resembles an occupying army – have
shocked the U.S. media class and millions of Americans. But none of this
is aberrational.

It is the destructive by-product of several decades of deliberate
militarization of American policing, a trend that received a sustained
(and ongoing) steroid injection in the form of a still-flowing,
post-9/11 federal funding bonanza
<http://www.salon.com/2011/08/29/terrorism_39/>, all justified in the
name of “homeland security.” This has resulted in a domestic police
force that looks, thinks, and acts more like an invading and occupying
military than a community-based force to protect the public.

As is true for most issues of excessive and abusive policing, police
militarization is overwhelmingly and disproportionately directed at
minorities and poor communities, ensuring that the problem largely
festers in the dark. Americans are now so accustomed to seeing police
officers decked in camouflage and Robocop-style costumes, riding in
armored vehicles and carrying automatic weapons first introduced during
the U.S. occupation of Baghdad, that it has become normalized. But those
who bear the brunt of this transformation are those who lack loud
megaphones; their complaints of the inevitable and severe abuse that
results have largely been met with indifference.

If anything positive can come from the Ferguson travesties, it is that
the completely out-of-control orgy of domestic police militarization
receives long-overdue attention and reining in.

Last night, two reporters, /The Washington Post/‘s Wesley Lowery and
/The Huffington Post/‘s Ryan Reilly, were arrested and assaulted while
working from a McDonald’s in Ferguson
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/13/washington-post-reporter-arrested-in-ferguson/>.
The arrests were arbitrary and abusive, and received substantial
attention — only because of their prominent platforms, not, as they both
quickly pointed out upon being released, because there was anything
unusual about this police behavior.

Reilly, on Facebook
<https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=973389387913&substory_index=1&id=21202821>,
recounted how he was arrested by “a Saint Louis County police officer in
full riot gear, who refused to identify himself despite my repeated
requests, purposefully banged my head against the window on the way out
and sarcastically apologized.” He wrote: ”I’m fine. But if this is the
way these officers treat a white reporter working on a laptop who moved
a little too slowly for their liking, I can’t imagine how horribly they
treat others.” He added: “And if anyone thinks that the militarization
of our police force isn’t a huge issue in this country, I’ve got a story
to tell you.”

Lowery, who is African-American, tweeted a summary of an interview
<https://twitter.com/graceishuman/status/499764717083426816> he gave on
MSNBC: “If I didn’t work for the Washington Post and were just another
Black man in Ferguson, I’d still be in a cell now.” He added: “I knew I
was going to be fine. But the thing is, so many people here in Ferguson
don’t have as many Twitter followers as I have and don’t have Jeff Bezos
or whoever to call and bail them out of jail.”

The best and most comprehensive account of the dangers of police
militarization is the 2013 book by the libertarian /Washington Post
/journalist Radley Balko, entitled “Rise of the Warrior Cops: The
Militarization of America’s Police Forces.”
<http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610392116>
Balko, who has devoted his career to documenting and battling the worst
abuses of the U.S. criminal justice system
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/06/cory-maye-freed-after-10-years_n_890456.html#s303264&title=Bob_Evans_Cory>,
traces the history and underlying mentality that has given rise to all
of this: the “law-and-order” obsessions that grew out of the social
instability of the 1960s, the War on Drugs that has made law enforcement
agencies view Americans as an enemy population, the Reagan-era “War on
Poverty” (which was more aptly described as a war on America’s poor),
the aggressive Clinton-era expansions of domestic policing, all topped
off by the massively funded, rights-destroying, post-9/11 security state
of the Bush and Obama years. All of this, he documents, has infused
America’s police forces with “a creeping battlefield mentality.”

I read Balko’s book prior to publication in order to blurb it, and after
I was done, immediately wrote what struck me most about it: “There is no
vital trend in American society /more overlooked/ than the
militarization of our domestic police forces.” /The Huffington Post’/s
Ryan Grim, in the outlet’s official statement about Reilly’s arrest
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/13/ryan-reilly-_n_5677060.html>,
made the same point: /“Police militarization has been among the most
consequential and unnoticed developments of our time.”/

In June, the ACLU published a crucial 96-page report
<https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/assets/jus14-warcomeshome-report-web-rel1.pdf>
on this problem, entitled “War Comes Home: The Excessive Militarization
of American Policing.” Its central point: “the United States today has
become excessively militarized, mainly through federal programs that
create incentives for state and local police to use unnecessarily
aggressive weapons and tactics designed for the battlefield.”

The report documents how the Drug War and (Clinton/Biden
<http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-bidens-pro-riaa-pro-fbi-tech-voting-record/>)
1990s crime bills laid the groundwork for police militarization, but the
virtually unlimited flow of “homeland security” money after 9/11 all but
forced police departments to purchase battlefield equipment and other
military paraphernalia whether they wanted them or not.  Unsurprisingly,
like the War on Drugs and police abuse generally, “the use of
paramilitary weapons and tactics primarily impacted people of color.”

Some police departments eagerly militarize, but many recognize the
dangers. Salt Lake City police chief Chris Burbank is quoted in the ACLU
report: “We’re not the military. Nor should we look like an invading
force coming in.” A 2011 /Los Angeles Times/ article
<http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-911-homeland-money-20110828-story.html#page=1>,
noting that “federal and state governments are spending about $75
billion a year on domestic security,” described how local police
departments receive so much homeland security money from the U.S.
government that they end up forced to buy battlefield equipment they
know they do not need: from armored vehicles to Zodiac boats with
side-scan sonar.

The trend long pre-dates 9/11, as this 1997 /Christian Science Monitor/
article by Jonathan Landay
<http://www.csmonitor.com/1997/0402/040297.us.us.2.html> about growing
police militarization and its resulting abuses (“Police Tap High-Tech
Tools of Military to Fight Crime”) makes clear. Landay, in that
17-year-old article, described “an infrared scanner mounted on [a police
officer's] car [that] is the same one used by US troops to hunt Iraqi
forces in the Gulf war,” and wrote: “it is symbolic of an increasing use
by police of some of the advanced technologies that make the US military
the world’s mightiest.”

But the /security-ü//ber-alles/ fixation of the 9/11 era is now the
driving force. A June article in
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/us/war-gear-flows-to-police-departments.html>/the
New York Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/09/us/war-gear-flows-to-police-departments.html>
/by Matt Apuzzo (“War Gear Flows to Police Departments”) reported that
“during the Obama administration, according to Pentagon data, police
departments have received tens of thousands of machine guns; nearly
200,000 ammunition magazines; thousands of pieces of camouflage and
night-vision equipment; and hundreds of silencers, armored cars and
aircraft.” He added: “The equipment has been added to the armories of
police departments that /already look and act like military units/.”

All of this has become such big business, and is grounded in such
politically entrenched bureaucratic power, that it is difficult to
imagine how it can be uprooted. As the /LA Times/ explained:

    An entire industry has sprung up to sell an array of products,
    including high-tech motion sensors and fully outfitted emergency
    operations trailers. The market is expected to grow to $31 billion
    by 2014.

    Like the military-industrial complex that became a permanent and
    powerful part of the American landscape during the Cold War, the
    vast network of Homeland Security spyware, concrete barricades and
    high-tech identity screening is here to stay. The Department of
    Homeland Security, a collection of agencies ranging from border
    control to airport security sewn quickly together after Sept. 11, is
    the third-largest Cabinet department and — with almost no lawmaker
    willing to render the U.S. less prepared for a terrorist attack —
    one of those least to fall victim to budget cuts.

The dangers of domestic militarization are both numerous and manifest.
To begin with, as the nation is seeing in Ferguson, it degrades the
mentality of police forces in virtually every negative way and subjects
their targeted communities to rampant brutality and unaccountable abuse.
The ACLU report summarized: “excessive militarism in policing,
particularly through the use of paramilitary policing teams, escalates
the risk of violence, threatens individual liberties, and unfairly
impacts people of color.”

Police militarization also poses grave and direct dangers to basic
political liberties, including rights of free speech, press and
assembly. The first time I wrote about this issue was back in 2008 when
I covered the protests outside the GOP national convention
<http://boingboing.net/2008/08/30/report-massive-warra.html> in St. Paul
for /Salon/, and was truly amazed by the war-zone atmosphere
deliberately created by the police