[News] Civil rights activist Mabel Williams laid to rest in Monroe

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 29 11:15:40 EDT 2014

  Civil rights activist Mabel Williams laid to rest in Monroe

By Adam Bell
abell at charlotteobserver.com <mailto:abell at charlotteobserver.com>

*http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/04/28/4872303/civil-rights-activist-mabel-williams.html#.U1-_vVca3YM

Use link for photos and video
*

MONROE

Her controversial husband made most of the headlines, but Monroe native
Mabel Robinson Williams was recalled Monday as a force for
African-Americans since the early days of the civil rights movement.

Williams, the widow of Robert Franklin Williams, died April 19 in
Detroit after battling breast cancer. She was buried Monday alongside
her husband at Hillcrest Cemetery in Monroe, down the street from their
old home. She was 82.

In the mid-20th century, the Monroe area had a Ku Klux Klan presence and
remained heavily segregated, from lunch counters to swimming pools.

Robert Williams, who ran the local chapter of the National Association
for the Advancement of Colored People, received national attention in
1959 for urging the black community to meet "violence with violence" to
defend themselves as a last resort. He later detailed his story in a
book called "Negroes with Guns" and remained a divisive figure in the
civil rights movement, as prominent leaders like Martin Luther King Jr.
preached nonviolence.

The couple's son, Detroit pastor John Williams, told the Observer before
the service that his mother supported his father every step of the way.
"It's impossible to accurately tell Robert Williams' story without Mabel
Williams. She was right there."

She never hesitated to arm herself to protect her family, her son said.
And he never heard her say anything bad about her husband of nearly half
a century.

At the graveside service attended by more than 60 people, Mabel Williams
was recalled as a generous woman who cared deeply about her family and
her race.

Her cousin, the Rev. Haywood Redfern, officiated and said God had called
the Williamses to do great things. "One thing I want you to know, Robert
and Mabel have always been our heroes."

Elaine E. Steele was a longtime friend of Mabel Williams and civil
rights leader Rosa Parks. Steele said Mabel Williams was a lot like
Parks. "She was the embodiment of pride, dignity and courage," she said.
"She was a warrior for freedom in her own right."

Life in exile

In 1961, the Williams family fled Monroe and later the country after
Robert Williams was accused of kidnapping a white couple in the midst of
a race-related riot. He maintained he was trying to protect them from a
crowd he couldn't control.

The charges landed him on the FBI's most wanted list, and the family
made their way to Cuba, and later Asia.

Robert Williams hosted "Radio Free Dixie" over shortwave radio from
Havana, offering commentary on the civil rights movement. During their
exile, the couple met the likes of Fidel Castro, North Vietnam leader Ho
Chi Minh and Mao Zedong.

They returned to the United States in 1969 and settled in Michigan. The
kidnapping charges ultimately were dismissed, and Robert Williams died
in 1996. Parks spoke admiringly of him at his funeral.

During a 2004 event sponsored by Freedom Archives, which puts recordings
of the social justice movement online, Williams was asked
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Mabel.html>if she minded being in her
husband's shadow.

"We are fighting together for the rights of our people," she said. "I
don't care if my name ever gets out there. If we make moves forward for
our children, then that's what we're all about. That's what the struggle
is about."

Fighting for their rights

About an hour before Monday's service, Monroe resident Michael Eddie
stopped by the cemetery. He knew the couple in the 1950s when he was a boy.

"This is another step of history," Eddie said. "In the black community,
we don't have the fighters we had back then. ... There's no one like
Robert and Miss Mabel."

During the service, Jonathan Blount, who lived near the Williams family
in Monroe, recalled when the police chased Robert Williams into his
yard. "Mabel came out with a shotgun and said, 'I will blow your head
off.' What black woman does that?" asked Blount, one of the founders of
Essence magazine.

He said it was important that the community protects the Williamses'
legacy.

            Bell: 704-358-5696; Twitter: @abell <https://twitter.com/abell>

Read more here:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/04/28/4872303/civil-rights-activist-mabel-williams.html#storylink=cpy