[News] 7 Palestinian civilians wounded; 40 civilians abducted, including 17 children

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 13 14:23:16 EDT 2013

  PCHR Weekly Report: 7 Palestinian civilians wounded; 40 civilians
  abducted, including 17 children

author Friday September 13, 2013 10:36
http://www.imemc.org/article/66108

    In its Weekly Report On Israeli Human Rights Violations in the
    Occupied Palestinian Territories for the week of 05- 11 September
    2013, the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) found that 4
    Palestinian civilians were wounded in Israeli invasions of the West
    Bank. In addition, Israeli forces have continued to use excessive
    force against peaceful protesters in the West Bank. 3 protesters,
    including a photojournalist
    <http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=photojournalist>, were wounded.

Israeli attacks in the West Bank:

Israeli forces conducted 31 incursions into Palestinian communities in
the West Bank. At least 40 Palestinian civilians, including 17 children,
were abducted in the West Bank.

On 07 September 2013, Israeli forces stationed along the annexation wall
between the far south of Hebron, south of the West Bank, and Israel,
opened fire at a number of Palestinian labourers when they attempted to
cross the wall through a hole looking for work. As a result, 2 of them
were wounded. Their wounds were described as moderate. Ali Abu Zuhra
said to PCHR's fieldworker: "I help my father in supporting our
10-member family. I go to work every day through the hole in the
annexation wall that separates Arab al-Ramadeen area, south of Hebron,
from Israel, as I have no work permit because I am still young. At
approximately 14:00 on Saturday, 07 September 2013, I went out of home
in Yatta to al-Daheriya village, where a vehicle took me with other
workers to the area from which we cross the wall. At approximately
15:00, we reached the area about 500 meters away from the hole. We
waited for 15 minutes, because some workers were crossing the wall. I
then decided with my cousin Nour al-Din Abu Ali (21) and other workers
to cross the wall. We actually went to the hole and crossed the wall. We
waited for the vehicle that takes us to work for about a minutes. Then,
we suddenly heard heavy gunfire. We stood still fearing of being wounded
if we tried to run away, but it was in vain. Fire was everywhere around
us. We hurried back to the hole because we did not know the source of
fire. I was wounded by a bullet to the right leg, but I kept running
about 500 more meters. I was few meters away from the vehicle when my
leg hurt me and I fell to the ground. I crawled until the driver helped
me. In the meanwhile, I saw Nour al-Din on the ground before he could
jump through the
hole. Israeli soldiers were surrounding him, while a military ambulance
was in the area. I was taken to a medical centre in al-Daheriya village.
They found out the bullet had entered and exited my leg. I received the
necessary medical treatment. I then took another vehicle and went to
Hebron Hospital, where they discovered the bullet affected my leg nerve.
My uncle Nabil Abu Ali told me his son Nour al-Din was in "Soroka"
Hospital in Israel."

On 08 September 2013, an 18-year-old civilian sustained shrapnel wound
of a sound bomb in the head and a 23-year-old civilian sustained
shrapnel wound of a bullet in the right hand when Israeli forces moved
into Beit Ummar village, north of Hebron. Moreover, a pregnant woman
suffered tear gas inhalation.

Israeli forces established dozens of checkpoints in the West Bank. 9
Palestinian civilians, including a child and a girl, were abducted at
checkpoints in the West Bank.

Israel continued its efforts to create Jewish majority in occupied
Jerusalem.

Israeli authorities forced a civilian to demolish his own house in Jabal
al-Mukabber neighbourhood, under the pretext of non-licensing.

Israeli authorities distributed administrative orders to demolish a
number of commercial facilities and a sports-ground in Selwan village,
under the pretext of non-licensing.

Lands, north of al-Eisawiya village, were levelled to establish a trench
separating the village from the "French Hill" settlement.

Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip:

On 08 September 2013, Israeli gunboats stationed off al-Waha resort,
northwest of Beit Lahia in the northern Gaza Strip, opened fire at
Palestinian fishing boats
<http://rd.bizrate.com/rd?t=http%3A%2F%2Fnetshops.rdr.channelintelligence.com%2Fgo.asp%3FfVhzOC8fBggESSMbIS87QxBqWHFwLx8GTAYEa2ZdH1sPXTZLNzRpAh1HR0BxOg4aBRZEOlNBEUcsKXxdQF9UTTwmQBAEH1IqTSAhPFhGVF9WLSECAgUaTzhTIjAyT15VB0A6IBwMBRVILVdNUUMhKzJZHFNWWGAhHQAIHEU7GSAtOnIDAAACbGZZW00QUTBcLCA2EA5TXF48OQYHRE0HLVBRTUcmeTBFU15eXTMNBg0fFk0yTSQhPU5Xb0NRMCIVCgcfQAFXIj09SFdUXVU%3D%26nAID%3D10043468%26szredirectid%3DSZ_REDIRECT_ID&mid=152388&cat_id=12180101&atom=10471&prod_id=4851678553&oid=4392534737&pos=1&b_id=18&bid_type=0&bamt=40faf703ed63cf62&cobrand=1&ppr=59a31a3dc35defea&rf=af1&af_assettype_id=10&af_creative_id=6&af_id=6784>
that were sailing about 4 nautical miles off the shore. The fishermen
were frightened and fled back to the shore fearing of being abducted or
injured. Neither casualties nor material damage were reported. On 10
September 2013, Israeli navy forces confiscated 2 fishing boats
belonging to Palestinian fishermen off Rafah shore in the southern Gaza
Strip.

Also in the Gaza Strip, on 09 September 2013, Israeli forces stationed
along the border fence, east of al-Bureij refugee camp, abducted 4
Palestinians, including a child, who crossed the fence. Israeli forces
took them to a military site and questioned them., but released them at
approximately 01:00, on the following day.

Israel has continued to impose a total closure and has isolated the Gaza
Strip from the outside world. The illegal closure of the Gaza Strip,
which has steadily tightened since June 2007, has had a disastrous
impact on the humanitarian and economic situation in the Gaza Strip. The
Israeli authorities impose measures to undermine the freedom of trade,
including the basic needs for the Gaza Strip population and the
agricultural and industrial products to be exported. For 7 consecutive
years, Israel has tightened the land and naval closure to isolate the
Gaza Strip from the West Bank, including occupied Jerusalem, and other
countries around the world. This resulted in a grave violation of the
economic, social and cultural rights and a deterioration of living
conditions for 1.7 million people. The Israeli authorities has
established Karm Abu Salem (Kerem Shaloum) as the sole crossing for
imports and exports in order to exercise its control over the Gaza
Strip's economy that has been aggravating for years due to the shortage
of imports. They also aim at imposing a complete ban on the Gaza Strip's
exports.

Israeli settlement activities:

Israeli forces have continued to support settlement activities in the
West Bank and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian
civilians and property.

Settlers threw stones at Palestinian civilians and their vehicles in
al-Sowana neighbourhood.

Hundreds of settlers moved into Ein Selwan in Selwan village to perform
their religious rituals of the Jewish holidays.

On 08 September 2013, Israeli bulldozers continued to level lands
between Deir Ballout and Kofur al-Deek, west of Salfit, and started
building new settlement units. Israeli authorities laid the foundation
stone for the new settlement namely "Leshem" in order to establish a big
settlement complex based on "Ali Zahav" settlement, east of Deir Ballout.

On the same day, Israeli forces accompanied by 2 officers from the
Israeli "Civil Administration" moved into Um Rukba area, the southern
entrance of al-Khader village, south of Bethlehem. They handed Nasser
Saleh Salah (43) a notice to demolish a 30-square-meter agricultural
room and to halt construction works in an under construction
60-square-meter house under the pretext of non-licensing.

On 09 September 2013, a group of settlers from "Beit Eil" settlement
that is established near Ramallah threw stones at Palestinian vehicles
driving over the nearby main street. As a result, windows of 5 vehicles
were damaged.

On the same day, a group of settlers from "Ma'oun" settlement that is
established in the east of Yatta, south of Hebron, cut and damage olive
trees (over 20 years old) in al-Hamra area, east of al-Tawani village,
east of Yatta.

On 10 September 2013, some settlers from the group of "Paying the Price"
punctured tyres of 3 buses and wrote racist slogans such as "Death to
the Arabs", "Stone Terrorists", and "Paying the Price" in al-Thawri
neighbourhood in Selwan village, south of the old town of occupied
Jerusalem.

Israeli attacks on non-violent demonstrations:

3 civilians, including a photojournalist, were wounded when Israeli
forces dispersed peaceful protests against the annexation wall, while
dozens of civilians suffered tear gas inhalation.

During the reporting period, Israeli forces continued the systematic use
of excessive force against peaceful protests organised by Palestinian,
Israeli and international activists against the construction of the
annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank. As a result,
3 civilians, including a photojournalist, were wounded. Furthermore,
dozens suffered tear gas inhalation and other sustained bruises.

Following the Friday prayer, 06 September 2013, dozens of Palestinian
civilians and international and Israeli human rights defenders organised
a peaceful demonstration in Bil'in village, west of Ramallah, in protest
at the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities.
The demonstrators raised the Palestinian flag and made their way towards
the annexation wall. Israeli forces closed the wall gate with barbwire
and when the demonstrators attempted to access the lands behind the
barbwire, they were stopped by Israeli soldiers. The demonstrators threw
stones at the Israeli soldiers who responded with live ammunition,
rubber-coated metal bullets, sound bombs, and tear gas canisters, and
chased them across olive fields as far as the outskirts of the village.
As a result, dozens suffered tear gas inhalation and others sustained
bruises.

Also, following the Friday Prayer, dozens of Palestinian civilians and
international and Israeli human rights defenders organised a peaceful
demonstration in Ni'lin village, west of Ramallah, in protest at the
construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities. The
demonstrators made their way towards the annexation wall. Israeli forces
closed the wall gate with barbwire and, when the demonstrators attempted
to access the lands behind the barbwire, they were stopped by Israeli
soldiers. The demonstrators threw stones at the Israeli soldiers who
responded with live ammunition, rubber-coated metal bullets, sound
bombs, and tear gas canisters, and chased them across olive fields as
far as the outskirts of the village. As a result, dozens of
demonstrators suffered tear gas inhalation and others sustained bruises.

Around the same time on Friday, dozens of Palestinian civilians, Israeli
and international human rights activists gathered at the Martyrs Square
in al-Nabi Saleh village, northwest of Ramallah, to hold a weekly
peaceful protest against the construction of the annexation wall and
settlement activities. The protesters walked towards Palestinian lands
that Israeli settlers from the nearby "Halmish" settlement are trying to
seize. From the morning, Israeli forces had closed all entrances to the
village to prevent Palestinians, international activists, and
journalists from joining the demonstration. Upon their arrival in the
area, Israeli soldiers fired live ammunition, rubber-coated bullets,
sound bombs, and tear gas canisters, chased the demonstrators into the
village and sprayed them and civilian houses with waste water. As a
result, dozens of Palestinians suffered tear gas inhalation and others
sustained bruises.

Around the same time on Friday, dozens of Palestinian civilians from
al-Ma'sarah village, south of Bethlehem, and a number of international
activists and popular resistance activists organized a peaceful
demonstration against the annexation wall and settlement activities.
They gathered in front of al-Shomou' Cultural Centre in the centre of
the village and made their way through the village streets. They raised
Palestinian and Syrian flags and portraits of Palestinian prisoners and
martyrs. When they approached the annexation wall, Israeli soldiers
dispersed the demonstrators with tear gas canisters. They also abducted
Hassan Abdul Karim Breijiya (44), coordinator of the popular committee
against settlement activities, and realised him later on bail.

At approximately 12:30, on Friday, 30 August 2013, dozens of Palestinian
civilians from Kofur Qaddoum, northeast of Qalqilia, and international
activists gathered and made their way through the eastern entrance of
the village in protest at closing that entrance with an iron gate since
al-Aqsa Intifada. Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters, sound bombs
and live ammunition randomly. As a result, dozens suffered tear gas
inhalation. Gas canisters were fired at windows of 2 houses belonging to
the families of Abdul Razeq 'Amer and Tayseer Ishteiwi. Their occupants
suffered tear gas inhalation as well. Moreover, photojournalist Ja'fer
Zahed Ishtaiya (46) was hit by 2 gas canisters to the right and left
legs. Besides, a 36-year-old civilian was hit by a gas canister to the
head and neck, while a 41-year-old civilian was hit by a gas canister to
the right leg.

Recommendations to the international community:

Due to the number and severity of Israeli human rights violations this
week, the PCHR made several recommendations to the international
community. Among these were a recommendation that the UN General
Assembly and Human Rights Council explicitly declare that the Israeli
closure policy in Gaza and the annexation wall in the West Bank are
illegal, and accordingly refer the two issues to the UN Security Council
to impose sanctions on Israel to compel it to remove them;

In addition, the PCHR calls upon the international community, in light
of its failure to the stop the aggression on the Palestinian people, to
at least fulfil its obligation to reconstruct the Gaza Strip after the
series of hostilities launched by Israel which directed targeted the
civilian infrastructure

For the full text of the report, click on the link below:

http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/index.php?option=com_...d=183
<http://www.pchrgaza.org/portal/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9791:weekly-report-on-israeli-human-rights-violations-in-the-occupied-palestinian-territory-05-11-september-2013-&catid=84:weekly-2009&Itemid=183>