[News] Australia’s Secret War on Aboriginal People

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 6 11:28:12 EST 2013

November 06, 2013
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/11/06/australias-secret-war-on-aboriginal-people/

*A Brutal Past and Present*

  Australia’s Secret War on Aboriginal People

by JOHN PILGER

The corridors of the Australian parliament are so white you squint. The
sound is hushed; the smell is floor polish. The wooden floors shine so
virtuously they reflect the cartoon portraits of prime ministers and
rows of Aboriginal paintings, suspended on white walls, their blood and
tears invisible.

The parliament stands in Barton, a suburb of Canberra named after the
first prime minister of Australia, Edmund Barton, who drew up the White
Australia Policy in 1901. “The doctrine of the equality of man,” said
Barton, “was never intended to apply” to those not British and
white-skinned.

Barton’s concern was the Chinese, known as the Yellow Peril; he made no
mention of the oldest, most enduring human presence on earth: the first
Australians. They did not exist. Their sophisticated care of a harsh
land was of no interest. Their epic resistance did not happen. Of those
who fought the British invaders of Australia, the /Sydney Monitor/
reported in 1838: “It was resolved to exterminate the whole race of
blacks in that quarter.”  Today, the survivors are a shaming national
secret.

The town of Wilcannia, in New South Wales, is twice distinguished. It is
a winner of a national Tidy Town award and its indigenous people have
one of the lowest recorded life expectancies. They are usually dead by
the age of 35. The Cuban government runs a literacy programme for them,
as they do among the poorest of Africa. According to the Credit Suisse
Global Wealth report, Australia is the richest place on earth.

Politicians in Canberra are among the wealthiest citizens. Their
self-endowment is legendary. Last year, the then minister for indigenous
affairs, Jenny Macklin, refurbished her office at a cost to the taxpayer
of $331,144.

Macklin recently claimed that, in government, she had made a “huge
difference”. This is true. During her tenure, the number of Aboriginal
people living in slums increased by almost a third, and more than half
the money spent on indigenous housing was pocketed by white contractors
and a bureaucracy for which she was largely responsible. A typical,
dilapidated house in an outback indigenous community must accommodate as
many as 25 people. Families, the elderly and the disabled wait years for
sanitation that works.

In 2009, Professor James Anaya, the respected UN Rapporteur on the
rights of indigenous people, described as racist a “state of emergency”
that stripped indigenous communities of their tenuous rights and
services on the pretext that pedophile gangs were present in
“unthinkable” numbers – a claim dismissed as false by police and the
Australian Crime Commission.

The then opposition spokesman on indigenous affairs, Tony Abbott, told
Anaya to “get a life” and not “just listen to the old victim brigade.”
  Abbott is now the prime minister of Australia.

I drove into the red heart of central Australia and asked Dr. Janelle
Trees about the “old victim brigade”. A GP whose indigenous patients
live within a few miles of $1,000-a-night resorts serving Uluru (Ayers
Rock), she said, “There is asbestos in Aboriginal homes, and when
somebody gets a fibre of asbestos in their lungs and develops
mesothelioma, [the government] doesn’t care. When the kids have chronic
infections and end up adding to these incredible statistics of
indigenous people dying of renal disease, and vulnerable to world record
rates of rheumatic heart disease, nothing is done. I ask myself: why
not? Malnutrition is common. I wanted to give a patient an
anti-inflammatory for an infection that would have been preventable if
living conditions were better, but I couldn’t treat her because she
didn’t have enough food to eat and couldn’t ingest the tablets. I feel
sometimes as if I’m dealing with similar conditions as the English
working class at the beginning of the industrial revolution.”

In Canberra, in ministerial offices displaying yet more first-nation
art, I was told repeatedly how “proud” politicians were of what “we have
done for indigenous Australians”. When I asked Warren Snowdon — the
minister for indigenous health in the Labor government recently replaced
by Abbott’s conservative coalition — why after almost a quarter of a
century representing the poorest, sickest Australians, he had not come
up with a solution, he said, “What a stupid question. What a puerile
question.”

At the end of Anzac Parade in Canberra rises the Australian National War
Memorial, which historian Henry Reynolds calls “the sacred centre of
white nationalism”. I was refused permission to film in this great
public place. I had made the mistake of expressing an interest in the
frontier wars in which black Australians fought the British invasion
without guns but with ingenuity and courage – the epitome of the “Anzac
tradition”.  Yet, in a country littered with cenotaphs not one
officially commemorates those who fell resisting “one of the greatest
appropriations of land in world history”, wrote Reynolds in his landmark
book /Forgotten War/.  More first Australians were killed than Native
Americans on the American frontier and Maoris in New Zealand. The state
of Queensland was a slaughterhouse. An entire people became prisoners of
war in their own country, with settlers calling for their extinction.
The cattle industry prospered using indigenous men virtually as slave
labour. The mining industry today makes profits of a billion dollars a
week on indigenous land.

Suppressing these truths, while venerating Australia’s servile role in
the colonial wars of Britain and the US, has almost cult status in
Canberra today. Reynolds and the few who question it have been smeared
with abuse. Australia’s unique first people are its /Intermenschen/. As
you enter the National War Memorial, indigenous faces are depicted as
stone gargoyles alongside kangaroos, reptiles, birds and other “native
wildlife”.

When I began filming this secret Australia
<http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/oct/22/john-pilger-utopia-watch-trailer-video?CMP=soc_568>
30 years ago, a global campaign was under way to end apartheid in South
Africa. Having reported from South Africa, I was struck by the
similarity of white supremacy and the compliance and defensiveness of
liberals.  Yet no international opprobrium, no boycotts, disturbed the
surface of “lucky” Australia.  Watch security guards expel Aboriginal
people from shopping malls in Alice Springs; drive the short distance
from the suburban barbies of Cromwell Terrace to Whitegate camp, where
the tin shacks have no reliable power and water. This is apartheid, or
what Reynolds calls, “the whispering in our hearts”.

/John Pilger’s film, Utopia,
<http://www.theguardian.com/film/video/2013/oct/22/john-pilger-utopia-watch-trailer-video?CMP=soc_568>
about Australia, is released in cinemas on 15 November and broadcast on
ITV in December. It is released in Australia in January./

/www.johnpilger.com/