[News] Please Support the Work of the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 7 15:14:30 EDT 2013

Dear Friends and Supporters of the Freedom Archives

We still need to increase our donations to meet our upcoming program
needs. *You can donate online*
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005> or mail us
a check!

We are very pleased to report some exciting developments:

*Great Musical News *

The Freedom Archives has just received a planning grant from the
prestigious Recording Academy. We'll be working with renowned
Musicologist Art Sato to preserve over 30 years of his in-depth
interviews with noted innovators in Contemporary Jazz and Latin music.
Art has hosted "In Your Ear" on KPFA for more than 30 years and has
recorded musicians and artists whose work and words have been on the
cutting edge of political, social, and artistic change. We are so
excited and proud to expand and enhance this focus of the Freedom
Archives with materials of great cultural and political significance
that are available nowhere else.

*/Out of Control /by Nancy Kurshan Hot Off the Press!*

* *

The Freedom Archives is happy to announce our publication of an
important book documenting the struggle of the Committee to End the
Marion Lockdown (CEML) first against the barbaric practices at Marion
Federal Prison in Illinois, then nationwide. */Out of Control: A Fifteen
Year Battle Against Control Unit Prisons/* highlights the growing
opposition to control units and the racist and inhumane nature of US
imprisonment. Order the book through our website or send us a check for
$23. In addition, a special online version provides direct links to
documents, pamphlets, and audio and video segments created by or related
to CEML.

*http://www.freedomarchives.org/Out_of_Control/index.html*

We are really excited about this book, the historical context it
provides, and the timely nature of its discussion of control and
isolation units. The book deepens understanding of and solidarity with
hunger strikers in Guantanamo and Palestine---joining the voices of
prisoners and prison activists. As prisoners at California's Pelican Bay
gear up to renew their hunger strike and job actions in July, it's
especially relevant to understand the conditions they face and their
historical legacy of resistance!

* *

* *

*NOW - A New Way to Search the Freedom Archives Online! *

You can now digitally access audio, video, and the full-text of printed
materials and browse through our many collections that date from the
late 1960s to the mid-1990s and chronicle progressive history and the
culture of liberation struggles and movements in the US and
internationally. Millions of thanks to our hard working archival staff
and developers for getting the site up and accessible with a newly
designed search engine.

_www.search.freedomarchives.org <http://www.search.freedomarchives.org/>_

_ _

The search engine is still a work in progress, and we are eager to
increase its usability as well as the amount of online content
available. Please contact us if you have suggestions, are interested in
donating historical materials to our collection, or would like to
volunteer at the office.

*This important work is only possible because of your support. *

You make the difference. These exciting developments for Freedom
Archives are the results of your contributions and material support.

Please consider making a donation to ensure our growth and help
strengthen deeply needed voices of struggle and change.

*You can donate online*
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005> or mail us
a check. Better yet, you can become a monthly sustainer on line,
spreading out your support and providing us with dependable monthly income.

In Solidarity,

Claude Marks, Director and Walter Turner, Board President