[News] The U.S. judiciary exonerated hundreds of other "Zimmermans" since 2012

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sat Jul 20 11:09:45 EDT 2013

Kali Akuno
323 422-6025
kaliakuno at mxgm.org <mailto:kaliakuno at mxgm.org>

Arlene Eisen
415 305-7835
arlene_eisen at sbcglobal.net <mailto:arlene_eisen at sbcglobal.net>

_For Immediate Release*:*_* *

*/The U.S. judiciary exonerated hundreds of other “Zimmermans” since 2012/ *

George Zimmerman, the self-appointed neighborhood watchman, acquitted of
the murder of Trayvon Martin, is not alone.

In 2012, police officers, security guards and self-appointed keepers of
the peace killed 313 Black men, women and children.  Like the killing of
Trayvon Martin, 288 of these 313 extrajudicial killings involved
unnecessary, excessive force. Yet, only 26 of the killers were ever
charged with a crime—that is the judicial system ruled 91% were
justified.[1] <#13ffc65dab19fc11__ftn1>

After the Zimmerman verdict additional research found that of the 15
security guards and self-appointed keepers of the peace charged with a
crime, only four have been convicted. And of the 11 police officers
charged, none have been convicted.

“/This data demonstrates that Zimmerman’s acquittal follows the norm
that systemically criminalizes Black people and institutionalizes denial
of our human rights, /” says *Kali Akuno*, an organizer with the
*Malcolm X Grassroots Movement (MXGM)*.

/"Any one of these people killed could have been my son or your husband
or daughter”, /remarked *Arlene Eisen*, member of the Malcolm X
Solidarity Committee and author of the *Report.*/ “The more research I
did, the more obvious it became, that lawsuits and tweaking laws won’t
protect our children or prevent the next George Zimmerman.”
/

*Akuno* announced a comprehensive campaign of mass action to challenge
hyper-surveillance, stop and frisk, mass incarceration and executions of
Black people. “/Now is the time for direct action to educate and exact a
price for the continued denial of Black peoples’ human rights. We join
the Boycott of Florida and the call to Free Marissa Alexander—the
Florida Black woman sentenced to 20 years for firing a gun in the
direction of her abusive husband. / For details, go to www.mxgm.org
<http://www.mxgm.org> or www.operationghettostorm.org
<http://www.operationghettostorm.org>

[1] <#13ffc65dab19fc11__ftnref1> . This data comes from */Operation
Ghetto Storm: 2012 Annual Report on the Extrajudicial Killings of 313
Black People by Police, Security Guards, and Vigilantes/*, by Arlene
Eisen, MA, MPH, published by Malcolm X Grassroots Movement, April 2013,
download at
http://mxgm.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Operation-Ghetto-Storm.pdf
or
http://www.operationghettostorm.org/uploads/1/9/1/1/19110795/operation_ghetto_storm.pdf