[News] Israeli Soldiers Attack, Evict, Bab Al-Shams, Arrest Dozens

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 14 11:33:56 EST 2013

  */2 articles follow/*

  Israeli Soldiers Attack, Evict, Bab Al-Shams, Arrest Dozens

Sunday January 13, 2013 06:22author by Saed Bannoura - IMEMC News
http://www.imemc.org/article/64878

Thousands of Israeli soldiers and policemen attacked, on Saturday at
dawn, the Bab Al-Shams Palestinian village, installed east of in
occupied East Jerusalem, and forcibly removed dozens of activists

The soldiers dragged several activists into the ground, attacked
reporters and journalist and declared the area as a closed military
zone, several injuries were reported.

The Israeli decision to evacuate the village came, on Saturday, through
a direct order issued by Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, and
his right-wing fundamentalist cabinet.

Israeli daily, Haaretz, reported that by midnight Saturday, the order
was signed by Osnat Mandel, head of the Israeli High Court division of
the Justice Ministry, under the claimed that "the people and the tends
must be removed due to security considerations".

The Israeli Police said that the eviction order, issued by the court,
prohibits the army from removing the tens, but orders the removal of the
people staying there.

Also, the so-called Israeli Civil Administration Office, run by the
occupation in the West bank, claimed that the Palestinian tent village
"was installed on state land".

But four Bedouin families living in the area confirmed that they own the
land, and even showed deeds proving ownership.

Dr. Mustafa Barghouthi, secretary-general of the Palestinian National
Initiative, who was also at the Palestinian village, stated that
hundreds of Israeli soldiers invaded the village after surrounding it,
and attacked the nonviolent activists camped there, and started
kidnapping them.

The soldiers violently attacked the residents, including journalists,
elderly and women, and dragged several resident onto the ground.

The soldiers repeatedly interrupted the work of local reporters,
flashing their lights onto the camera, and pushing the reporters away,
and dragged dozens of activists into buses that were brought by the army
to the area.

On Saturday evening, Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, ordered
the army "to remove the Palestinians and their supporters from the
Palestinian outpost" that was installed on privately-owned Palestinian
lands to send a message to Israel and the entire world that this land is
the land of Palestine, and the Palestinian people have the right to
inhabit it.

The army installed dozens of roadblocks around the area to prevent
Palestinian traffic and surrounded the Bab Al-Shams where around 200
activists installed around 20 tents declaring the Bab Al-Shams
Palestinian village, in the area were Israeli illegally declared it
intends to build thousands of homes for Jewish settlers, east of
occupied east Jerusalem.

The Israeli decision to build the illegal settlements in the occupied
state of Palestine came after the Palestinians managed to obtain an
observer state status at the UN -- General Assembly.

The Israeli decision was met with international condemnation, but the
settler-led government of Benjamin Netanyahu, approved the illegal
settlement project.

The so-called E1 settlement project aims at linking the Maale Adumim
illegal settlement, where 35000 reside, with occupied East Jerusalem,
thus illegally confiscating Palestinian lands and blocking geographical
continuity in the occupied West Bank.

This illegal Israeli project would divide the West Bank into two parts,
and would completely isolate it from occupied East Jerusalem, an issue
that would prevent the establishment of a viable Palestinian state.

Abdullah Abu Rahma, a Palestinian nonviolent activist from the West Bank
village on Bil'in, who was also detained when the army attacked and
evicted Bab Al-Shams, stated that this village is on private Palestinian
land, and that the Palestinians are not invading anybody's property, as
they are establishing a village in the land of Palestine.

"We tied our hands, chained ourselves with each other to prevent the
soldiers from removing us", Abu Rahma said, "The Soldiers violently
attacked us, beat us, and injured at least 10"

He added that there will be more nonviolent activities, and that the
struggle for Bab Al-Shams, the nonviolent struggle for the liberation of
Palestine will continue as the Palestinians are practicing their
internationally-guaranteed right.

It is worth mentioning that the Palestine TV was live streaming from Bab
Al-Shams, and the army repeatedly tried to interrupt the stream, pushing
the reporters, and using large flashlight, pointing them against the
camera to disrupt the images.

  Eviction of Bab Al Shams exposes Israel as a lawless state

Max Blumenthal <http://electronicintifada.net/people/max-blumenthal>
http://electronicintifada.net/content/eviction-bab-al-shams-exposes-israel-lawless-state/12090
<http://electronicintifada.net/people/electronic-intifada>
Ramallah <http://electronicintifada.net/location/ramallah>

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/benjamin-netanyahu> was clearly
troubled by the establishment of Bab Al Shams
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/bab-al-shams>, a Palestinian protest
village erected on privately-owned Palestinian land, the planned route
of what Israel calls the "E-1 <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/e-1>"
corridor in the occupied West Bank.

The E-1 area was to be capstone of Israel's settler-colonial enterprise,
a long segment of housing units expanding east from the Jews-only
mega-settlement of Maale Adumim, permanently severing East Jerusalem
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/east-jerusalem> from the rest of the
West Bank and virtually slicing the West Bank in half. And now, 400
Palestinians and their supporters stood directly in the way of the plan.

"We will not allow anyone to touch the corridor between Jerusalem and
Maaleh Adumim," Netanyahu declared ("Israeli security forces evacuate
activists from Palestinian tent outpost in E-1 area
<http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israeli-security-forces-evacuate-activists-from-palestinian-tent-outpost-in-e-1-area.premium-1.493531>,"
/Haaretz/, 13 January).

On 12 January, Netanyahu dispatched a lawyer from the justice ministry
to the high court
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/israeli-high-court> to argue for the
immediate eviction of Bab Al Shams. Despite the government's vehement
objections to the presence of the Palestinian village, the high court
issued a temporary injunction preventing its eviction for six days
pending further deliberations.

As the clock struck midnight on Saturday night, Netanyahu summoned his
lawyers to author a statement overriding the high court. Treating the
court's ruling as a mere suggestion, the Israeli justice ministry
concocted a justification that was as ludicrous as it was predictable:
"There is an urgent security need to evacuate the area of the people and
tents," it claimed, suggesting without evidence that a few hundred
unarmed activists presented a grave threat to public safety.

    Journalists banned

I arrived at the site of Bab Al Shams about two hours before Netanyahu
ordered its eviction. The main entrances to the tent encampment were
sealed off by squads of Israeli police. A police commander told me and
other journalists that no reporters were allowed inside the area. Though
he claimed to hold a formal order from the military, he failed to
produce any kind of documentation.

An Israeli journalist told me he had been told earlier in the evening by
Israeli army GOC Central Commander Nitzan Alon that he was free to
travel anywhere in the West Bank, but that "this [Bab Al Shams] was
something different."

In order to enter Bab Al Shams, me and three colleagues had to first
navigate the narrow, pothole-scarred roads of al-Zaim, an impoverished
Palestinian town severed from the rest of the Jerusalem municipality by
Israel's separation wall
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/israels-wall-west-bank> and a
checkpoint. Though al-Zaim is already an overcrowded, under-serviced
ghetto prevented from expanding to meet the needs of a growing
population, the construction of the E-1 corridor would enclose it on all
sides, consolidating its isolation and forced immiseration.

At a muddy field strewn with trash at the outskirts of al-Zaim, we
climbed out of a small car and hiked towards Bab Al Shams, walking for 3
kilometers along a craggy path in the bone-chilling cold. There were no
signs of any army presence on our way, only vehicle caravans heading out
of the village to gather more supplies for the next day.

When we arrived at the base of the tent encampment, we found Palestinian
National Initiative Chairman Mustafa Barghouti giving an interview to
one of many international news outlets embedded in the village.
Barghouti had helped provide Bab Al Shams with medical supplies,
supplementing a growing infrastructure that included an Internet hotspot
and a kitchen.

At the entrance of the village, I found about a dozen residents of Bilin
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/bilin> village huddled around a
campfire, sipping coffee and smoking cigarettes. "Forget about the
food," Billin popular committee leader Abdallah Abu Rahme joked. "If we
don't have cigarettes and coffee we won't survive a night here."

    Popular struggle

For almost eight years, the popular struggle
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/popular-resistance> had been focused
in rural villages near the Green Line, the 1949 armistice line marking
the boundary between Israel and the occupied West Bank. Residents in
these areas have waged a relentless unarmed struggle against the
separation wall.

In the past year, activists began to take their tactics beyond the
weekly ritual of village-based protests, organizing creative direct
actions like the blocking of settler access roads and a raucous protest
in the Rami Levy settlement supermaket. Bab Al Shams was evidence of the
new era of protest in Palestine, attracting Palestinian activists from
inside Israel and from northern West Bank cities like Nablus
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/nablus> and Jenin
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/jenin> not normally associated with
the popular struggle.

I spoke to Hamde Abu Rahme, a videographer from Bilin, about the
progression of protest tactics from the embryonic phase of the popular
struggle to the birth of Bab Al Shams.

"The people here have so much practice with resistance over the years,
and that explains our success," Abu Rahme told me. "We have a strong
system of organization and of deciding what we all want, how to best
handle the army, and how to make sure everyone's needs are looked after.
With all the roads closed, it wasn't easy to make this village happen,
but people still came through the mountains and were willing to stay
here for three days without enough food, without shower, in the freezing
cold. You can see that people really want to be here, that they are not
acting because they have to be here."

Abir Kopty <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/abir-kopty>, a
Palestinian feminist and human rights activist serving as spokesperson
for the Popular Struggle Coordination Committee
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/popular-struggle-coordination-committee>,
challenged the widely reported notion that Bab Al Shams was simply a
Palestinian version of an Israeli "settlement" or "outpost."

"There is a huge difference here," she told me. "We are building on our
own land unlike the settlers who are occupying and grabbing land that
isn't theirs."

At the same time, Kopty conceded that organizers of the protest village
were reacting directly to Israel's colonial tactics.

"I do admit that we want to change the rules of the game," she said.
"Israel has been imposing facts on the ground and we are doing exactly
the same. We want to impose facts on our land. So, yes, it might seem
that we have taken a model from them but the difference is that we are
building on our land and we are not taking others' land and building on it."

At around 12:30am, I rode out of Bab Al Shams in the back of a pickup
truck loaded to the gills with journalists and activists. We had no idea
whether the army was set to raid tonight, or if it might wait another
day. With the news that the high court had issued a temporary injunction
against the eviction, we assumed the government would wait to secure
formal permission. We were wrong.

Towards the end of the rocky path leading into Bab Al Shams, and just
outside al-Zaim, we barreled by a detachment of Israeli border police
officers milling around a group of jeeps. It was clear now that the raid
was imminent, and that even if we wanted to re-enter Bab Al Shams, there
was no way back inside.

    Forced evacuation

Two hours later some 500 border police troops in full riot gear marched
into Bab Al Shams and carried its inhabitants away by force. According
to reports from some of the 150 or activists inside, the police attacked
journalists, pushing them to the periphery of the encampment so they
could not record the brutality. Photos of those injured during the raid
suggest that the police severely assaulted those who refused to leave
quietly. Six Palestinians, including the artist and activist Hafez Omar
(a photograph of injured Omar
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1828129&l=d340c10326&id=185129341509315>
is circulating on Facebook), were so badly wounded they required
treatment at the Ramallah Hospital.

Under pressure from right-wing upstarts amidst a heated election
contest, Netanyahu ordered the eviction of Bab Al Shams in flagrant
contempt of the country's high court. And not one of the judges issued a
word of protest. In a state guided not by the democratic rule of law,
but by the colonial imperatives of the occupation, Netanyahu's roguery
was business as usual.

/Max Blumenthal is an award-winning journalist and best-selling author./