[News] To end the occupation, dissolve the Palestinian Authority

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 11 18:13:54 EST 2013

  To end the occupation, dissolve the Palestinian Authority

Iyad Burnat
*http://electronicintifada.net/content/end-occupation-dissolve-palestinian-authority/12990*
<http://electronicintifada.net/people/iyad-burnat>

My head feels like it will explode. There are many urgent questions but,
like most Palestinians, I feel a sense of incomprehension as I listen to
the news about John Kerry's
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/john-kerry> recurring visits, and
the talk of a Palestinian state and lasting peace.

When people step away from their TV screens and go out into the street,
they experience a different reality. They experience heavily armed
soldiers storming, killing and imprisoning.

They experience checkpoints
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/checkpoints> dotting the roads. They
experience bulldozers and equipment uprooting their olive trees and
building houses for Israeli settlers
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/settlers> on their land.

What is happening? Where is the peace? Where are the negotiations? And
who is Kerry anyway?

To the Palestinian Authority
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/palestinian-authority> negotiators,
I ask: What are you doing?

    Israel gains time

Allow me to travel with you twenty years back in time to the start of
Oslo negotiations <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/oslo-accords>,
which also marked the beginning of the attempted eradication of our
dream of an independent Palestinian state. The Zionists have always
aimed to gain time in order to impose a /fait accompli/ on the
Palestinian people.

More time is tantamount to more construction of colonies; the number of
colonies that were constructed since Oslo has doubled, bringing the
number of Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/west-bank> --- including East
Jerusalem <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/east-jerusalem> --- to as
many as 650,000, according to some figures
<http://mondoweiss.net/2011/05/netanyahu-claims-there-are-650000-settlers-not-just-half-a-million.html>.

More time means more checkpoints and more separation walls, all of which
put the entire Palestinian people in ghettoes and Bantustans
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/bantustans> where they cannot move
securely through the barriers of humiliation and the gates of indignity.
That's what negotiations have brought us.

    Brazen

And now, shamelessly and brazenly, you are talking about a Palestinian
state on twelve percent of historic Palestine? Where is this Palestinian
state? And what are its borders?

Who gave you the right to negotiate on my behalf? Who gave you the right
to prevent my children from visiting the sea, which is not farther than
25 kilometers from where we live? They have not seen it in their whole
lives.

Who gave you the right to prevent my children and me from visiting
Jerusalem <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/jerusalem>? That great
city is only 20 kilometers from my home, but we can only hear about it
in the news and see it in pictures.

Who gave you the right to negotiate on my right to live in freedom,
peace and security? Such rights are inalienable and cannot be usurped or
surrendered by anyone.

And when will your negotiations come to an end? Will any agreement be
subject to a popular referendum in which the entire Palestinian people
living in Palestine and in the diaspora participate?

You recognize quite well that these negotiations are absurdly hollow and
meaningless, and that you are certain that the primary beneficiary from
these negotiations will be the Israeli occupation. So why do you cling
on to these negotiations with tooth and claw?

I am quite sure that these negotiations will not achieve peace, or a
Palestinian state.

    Doomed to failure

Reality suggests that Israeli occupation forces will not abide by the
outcome of these negotiations, just as Israel has refused to abide by
the outcome of previous negotiations --- under the pretext of security.

If the negotiations fail --- and I'm sure they are doomed to failure ---
what will happen next? What are the alternatives and what are your
plans? What is your strategy for ending the occupation?

I am disheartened to say that after these failed negotiations there will
be more failed negotiations. You are divided and quarreling among
yourselves.

Your goals are not national. You do not work in the best interests of
the people, but for partisan and factional interests.

What a pity that you do not believe in our right to live in freedom,
like other peoples of the world.

Freedom is not something that is given to people. It is something that
is gained.

We will not gain our freedom except through popular resistance, in which
all segments of the Palestinian people are unified against the
occupation, in an organized popular intifada.

There will not be a popular intifada before the Palestinian Authority is
dissolved, and a unified, principles-centered national leadership is
formed. Only such leadership can take forward a global intifada to end
the occupation once and for all.

/Iyad Burnat organizes regular protests against Israel's wall in the
West Bank village of Bilin./