[News] Quebec & Students - The Government Has Gone Too Far

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 23 15:24:15 EDT 2012

<http://translatingtheprintempserable.tumblr.com/post/23612256391/the-government-has-gone-too-far-le-monde>The
Government Has Gone Too
<http://translatingtheprintempserable.tumblr.com/post/23612256391/the-government-has-gone-too-far-le-monde>Far

http://translatingtheprintempserable.tumblr.com/
Le Monde   May 21, 2012
<http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article/2012/05/21/quebec-le-gouvernement-est-alle-trop-loin_1704653_3222.html>
<http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article/2012/05/21/quebec-le-gouvernement-est-alle-trop-loin_1704653_3222.html>Original
French Text:
<http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article/2012/05/21/quebec-le-gouvernement-est-alle-trop-loin_1704653_3222.html>http://www.lemonde.fr/ameriques/article/2012/05/21/quebec-le-gouvernement-est-alle-trop-loin_1704653_3222.html

After more than three months of demonstrations
and student strikes, the government of Quebec
tabled a bill on Thursday, 17 May, that seeks to
curb the right to demonstrate. Friday, we asked
for Quebec residents to send us their accounts of
what has been happening, to better understand how
the student movement is seen by the rest of the
population, and whether this bill has met with approval from Quebeckers.

Among the numerous responses we received, many
web users­students and others­are outraged by a
law that they judge to be an attack on democracy.
Many deplore this law, even as they recognize
that the strike movement has shown great
endurance and continues to affect certain
students, who have been blocked from going to
their classes. Others, however, are delighted at
the magnitude of the mobilisation occurring
within a generation that is often described as “self-involved”.

Here is a selection of our readers’ stories:
    * Unanimously against the law, by Murielle
Marchand, 24 years old, doctoral student
I have been studying in Quebec for a year and a
half, at a university that has not been very
affected by the strike (hardly a week of general
striking happened), even if many students on
campus have been mobilized (by wearing red
squares just about everywhere, for example, or by
organizing a burial ceremony for democracy). In
the research lab where I work, everyone has given
their opinion on the student conflict at least
once, and the least that you could  say is that
opinions are radically divided: some people
openly support the students by wearing their
little red squares, others criticise them for
complaining about nothing even as they use
exorbitantly expensive telephones. But in any
case, the most popular opinion is that it’s a
good thing for young people to understand how
important it is to be interested in politics. I
will clarify that the difference of opinion
between my colleagues disappeared this morning:
the new law that makes the student strike illegal
has brought everyone together
 in opposition to Bill 78.
    * A disgraceful law, by Isabelle Poyau, 47
years old, assistant director of a national
environmental organization in Montreal
I am appalled. I immigrated to Quebec twenty-five
years ago because I love this pluralistic, open,
joyful society. And for weeks I have been proud
to watch as a generation that people call
self-involved has been able to  stand up and
create a civil protest movement for access to
education with intelligence, pacifism, courage
and creativity. The government has responded with
contempt and arrogance, and added fuel to the
fire by voting in a law that goes against the
fundamental freedoms of expression and assembly,
making Quebec into a police state. All around
me­friends, colleagues, fellow metro users, from
all generations­I see only people who are
scandalized, not by student actions, but by the
government’s attitude and by this disgraceful law.
    * No other choice, by Olivier Dion, computer
technician, 24 years old, Lévis (Quebec)
This law is unfortunately the only possible
solution for the moment, its goal being above all
to stop protestors from blocking access to
schools to the users who would like to continue
going to class and finish their studies. It’s not
the best solution, but faced with the
demonstrators’ lack of maturity and their lack of
motivation to negotiate, we have no other choice. [
]
    * In Ottawa, “I pay much more,” by Esther
Lacasse, 34 years old, Cantley, civil law student
at University of Ottawa in Ontario
Let’s be clear: Here in Quebec, the majority of
Quebeckers are for an increase in tuition fees
and against the strike. Let’s not take the fact
that a minority is making a lot of noise as an
indication of public opinion. We are far from
being oppressed; we are very well treated. The
debate is expanding; unions are getting involved;
it’s becoming a bit ridiculous. A minority is
blocking access to school for the majority of
students who want to study. It is false to say
that 300, 000 students are on strike, because a
minority, even one that calls for democracy, has
decided for the others. Those who simply want to
study are not going to go into the streets to
protest: they’re peaceful and for real. There is
no police violence. On the contrary. The police
have proven themselves extremely patient, but
they cannot let people break down doors and smash
windows. They have a thankless job. The Liberals
have even gained popularity, because they have
stuck to the hardline approach
. I’m a student at
U of O, where I pay much more, and with a job, I
can  pay what I have to. Quebeckers are tired of
protests and violence; an emergency law
might  change something, now that all other options have been exhausted.
    * Quebec is tired, by Bruno Guérin, 20 years old, student
Quebeckers are tired of the student strike
movement that has been on-going for a long time
throughout the province, but primarily in
Montreal. Student leaders have lamented the
government’s lack of openness regarding the
tuition fee increase. But the government has
sweetened its offer three times already,
attempting to calm this social crisis. The
student leaders have not wanted to make the best
of these offers to settle the crisis: they’ve
remained firm. But at the same time, they
formally signed one of the agreements proposed by
the government. Which in the end they didn’t
respect, claiming in their defence that the
students didn’t accept the offer at their general
assemblies. I was on strike for five weeks and
participated in student general assemblies.
Misinformation is given to the students; student
leaders only talk about information that will
help them  pursue their fight against the hike.
The restrictions placed on the freedom to
demonstrate is not a measure that most Quebeckers
approve of; however, it’s important to
acknowledge that Bill 78, which tries to control
demonstrations, will cease to be law in July
2013. So it’s temporary. It’s a tool that the
government can use to settle the crisis, when
they’re dealing with students who have turned a deaf ear to their offers.
    * “The Charest government has gone too far,”
by Alexandre Turgeon, doctoral candidate in
history at Université Laval, Québec
I have been on strike since 2 March
. Like many
others, I’m upset to see that the student strike
continues and nothing is working. There’s no way
out of the crisis in sight, and no will­on either
side­to come up with a compromise that will be
acceptable for all parties. Faced with the
opinion polls that claim that Quebeckers approve
of the government’s decision to increase tuition
fees, I came to the sad conclusion that the
students had lost.  Across the board. I’ve seen
some of my friends, who had proudly worn the red
square since the beginning, stop wearing it. So I
was extremely surprised to learn  that the
Charest government tabled an emergency law, a
real declaration of war against the students,
where the freedom of association, the freedom to
demonstrate  and the right to free expression are
taken apart, seriously amputated by the measures
found in this law. As I write these words, Bill
78 is about to be adopted by the National
Assembly. Criticism toward this scandalous and
unjust law are coming from all sides­in the
street, on social networks. Today, my friends are
again wearing the red square. Even I plan on
doing it­and I never have before. The Charest
government has gone too far, and we plan on making them retreat.
    * “It’s not just students protesting,” by
Coralie Muroni, 31 years old, executive assistant in Montréal
I am French, a salaried worker living in Quebec
for three years now, and I totally support the
demonstrations. I have participated in a number
of them, on my bike in the rain, on foot at
night, red square among red squares in the
streets of Monteal. It’s not just students
demonstrating: workers, retirees and others have
swelled the ranks from the very beginning. On the
social networks, I am surrounded by red. After
fourteen weeks of strikes, the debate on tuition
hikes has become a social conflict, a conflict
that the government has chosen to settle with
authoritarian measures: Bill 78 clearly impairs
the freedom of expression. How is it possible for
this law, which denies a fundamental principle of
democracy, to be passed?
 Whether you’re for or
against the tuition fee hike, the stakes are now
much higher. And I hope that these people, whom I
love very much and to whom I may someday belong, will not let this  pass.
    * “The government has let things rot for more
than three months,” by Fabien Maillé Paulin, 25
years old, student at Université de Montréal.
I am a student in East Asian studies at UdeM. My
association was one of the first to vote for the
strike at the beginning of a mobilization that
has gone on to be the largest student protest
movement in Quebec history. I’ll admit that when
we started out, we got involved a bit carelessly.
The struggle has not lacked twists and turns. But
the tremendous work of mobilizing has not even
proven to be our greatest challenge. It was the
government’s will not to yield an inch on the
tuition fee hike that threw many people off. Well
prepared for this public outcry, the government
has held a hard-line position, responding to
student protests with a campaign of
infantilization and disparagement, preferring,
for example, to call the student strike a
“boycott.” After a month and a half of strikes,
the Minister of Education finally met with
students and made two successive offers that did
not have anything to do with the cause of the
strike. Claiming that students were being too
rigid, the government finally decided to turn to
an emergency law, after having let the situation
rot for more than three months. Of course,
everyone felt and feels affected. The workers,
who suffer through these disruptions that seek to
grab the prime minister’s attention. The
students, some of whom have completely upended
their studies to support the student movement.
And above all, our hope that our government might
be able to deal with a disagreement with the youth without repressing them.
    * The use of authority to bring things back
to normal by Matthieu Zouzinc, Montreal
Not a Quebecker but a French person living in
Quebec for many years now (and an ex-student in
Quebec), I am mostly struck by the way the
conflict has played out and the various parties’
frozen positions
. I am shocked by the absence of
real negotiations between the government and the
student associations. This emergency law is an
excellent illustration of the climate in which
opposition to the tuition increase is occurring.
As for the population in general, I think that a
majority are starting to become irritated by the
length of the conflict, and especially by the
turn events have taken with various incidents
(smoke bombs thrown in the metro, blocking the
bridge that brings commuters to Montreal during
rush hour, breaking windows, etc.). Even if these
measures seem extreme, the use of authority to
bring things back to normal and  force people
back into their classrooms seems well-received by the public.
    * A sad day for democracy, par François
Jacques, 58 years old, Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville
I have been a teacher in primary school for
thirty-four years. Many of the students who I
taught were among those demonstrating and are
still out there. I am proud of them. People often
say that young people are egocentric and don’t
think about society. This is untrue. It’s obvious
that what is going on touches them and upsets
them. However, the real cause of this negligence
is the government’s permissiveness, based on the
idea that the movement would run out of
steam­which hasn’t happened. They refused from
the beginning to discuss things seriously with
the students, and when they did, they did not
demonstrate good faith. The result has been an
unjust law that cuts through freedom of
expression and gives increased powers to the
police, who have on several occasions shown
themselves to lack professionalism. It is certain
that the longer the situation lasts, the more
excesses will happen. The government will not
resolve this crisis by adopting a stronger
position. I doubt that a solution will be
possible without listening and without a
good-faith dialogue. This movement is similar to
May ’68, and it concerns the future of our
society. I believe this is a sad day for
democracy, just as it was during the War Measures
Act in 1970. Quebec’s motto is: Je me souviens­I
remember. We’ll see if the students and the
people will know, during the next election, how
to  live according to their motto.

Translated from the original French by
<http://translatingtheprintempserable.tumblr.com/>Translating
the printemps érable.

*Translating the printemps érable is a volunteer
collective attempting to balance the English
media’s extremely poor coverage of the student
conflict in Québec by translating media that has
been published in French into English. These are
amateur translations; we have done our best to
translate these pieces fairly and coherently, but
the final texts may still leave something to be
desired. If you find any important errors in any
of these texts, we would be very grateful if you
would share them with us at
translatingtheprintempsderable at gmail.com. Please
read and distribute these texts in the spirit in
which they were intended; that of solidarity and the sharing of information.