[News] America as a Shining Drone Upon a Hill

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun May 13 22:34:59 EDT 2012

America as a Shining Drone Upon a Hill
On Staring Death in the Face and Not Noticing

By <http://www.tomdispatch.com/authors/tom>Tom Engelhardt
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175541/tomgram%3A_engelhardt%2C_predator_nation/?utm_source=TomDispatch&utm_campaign=60cd1fc1b5-TD_Engelhardt5_13_2012&utm_medium=email#more

Here’s the essence of it: you can trust America’s
crème de la crème, the most elevated, responsible
people, no matter what weapons, what powers, you
put in their hands.  No need to constantly look over their shoulders.

Placed in the hands of evildoers, those weapons
and powers could create a living nightmare;
controlled by the best of people, they lead to
measured, thoughtful, precise decisions in which
bad things are (with rare and understandable
exceptions) done only to truly terrible
types.  In the process, you simply couldn’t be better protected.

And in case you were wondering, there is no
question who among us are the best, most lawful,
moral, ethical, considerate, and judicious
people: the officials of our national security
state.  Trust them implicitly.  They will never give you a bum steer.

You may be paying a fortune to maintain their
world -- the
<http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/06/national-security-state/>30,000
people hired to listen in on conversations and
other communications in this country, the 230,000
employees of the Department of Homeland Security,
the
<http://projects.washingtonpost.com/top-secret-america/articles/a-hidden-world-growing-beyond-control/>854,000
people with top-secret clearances, the
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us/politics/awlaki-killing-is-awash-in-open-secrets.html>4.2
million with security clearances of one sort or
another, the
<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1>$2
billion, one-million-square-foot data center that
the National Security Agency is constructing in
Utah, the gigantic
<http://blogs.reuters.com/gregg-easterbrook/2011/01/20/undisciplined-spending-in-the-name-of-defense/>$1.8
billion headquarters the National Geospatial
Intelligence Agency recently built for its 16,000
employees in the Washington area -- but there’s a
good reason.  That’s what’s needed to make truly
elevated, surgically precise decisions about life
and death in the service of protecting American
interests on this dangerous globe of ours.

And in case you wondered just how we know all
this, we have it on the best authority: the
people who are doing it -- the only ones, given
the obvious need for secrecy, capable of judging
just how moral, elevated, and remarkable their
own work is.  They deserve our congratulations,
but if we’re too distracted to give it to them,
they are quite capable of high-fiving themselves.

We’re talking, in particular, about the use by
the Obama administration (and the Bush
administration before it) of a
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175489/>growing
armada of remotely piloted planes, a.k.a. drones,
grimly labeled Predators and Reapers, to fight a
nameless, almost planet-wide war (formerly known
as the Global War on Terror).  Its purpose: to
destroy al-Qaeda-in-wherever and all its wannabes
and look-alikes, the Taliban, and anyone
affiliated or associated with any of the above,
or just about anyone else we believe might
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175447/tomgram%3A_engelhardt,_washington%27s_field_of_screams/>imminently
endanger our “interests.”

In the service of this war, in the midst of a
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174965>perpetual
state of war and of wartime, every act committed
by these leaders is, it turns out, absolutely,
totally, and completely legal.  We have their
say-so for that, and they have the documents to
prove it, largely because the best and most
elevated legal minds among them have
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/world/middleeast/secret-us-memo-made-legal-case-to-kill-a-citizen.html>produced
that documentation in secret. (Of course, they
dare not show it to the rest of us, lest lives be endangered.)

By their own account, they have, in fact, been
covertly exceptional, moral, and legal for more
than a decade
(<http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2012/may/07/john-yoo-jose-padilla-torture-lawsuit/>minus,
of course, the odd
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/13/070813fa_fact_mayer>black
site and
<http://news.antiwar.com/2012/05/09/destroyed-videos-showed-us-torture-victim-vomiting-and-screaming/>torture
chamber) -- so covertly exceptional, in fact,
that they haven’t quite gotten the credit they
deserve.  Now, they would like to make the latest
version of their exceptional mission to the world
known to the rest of us.  It is finally in our
interest, it seems, to be a good deal better
informed about America’s covert wars in a year in
which the widely announced “covert” killing of
Osama bin Laden in Pakistan is a major selling
point in the president’s reelection campaign.

No one should be surprised.  There was always an
“overt” lurking in the “covert” of what now
passes for “covert war.”  The CIA’s global drone
assassination campaign has long been a
<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/05/cia-chief-drones-only-game-in-town-for-stopping-al-qaeda/>bragging
point in Washington, even if it
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/us/politics/awlaki-killing-is-awash-in-open-secrets.html>couldn’t
officially be discussed directly before, say,
Congress.  The covertness of our drone wars in
the Pakistani tribal borderlands, Somalia, Yemen,
and elsewhere really turns out to have less to do
with secrecy --
<http://www.thenational.ae/news/world/middle-east/us-drone-strikes-kills-17-al-qaeda-militants-in-abyan>just
about every covert drone strike is reported,
sooner or later, in the media -- than assuring
two administrations that they could pursue their
drone wars without accountability to anyone.

A Classic of Self-Congratulation

Recently, top administration officials seem to be
<http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may/06/opinion/la-oe-mcmanus-column-transparency-on-drones-20120506>fanning
out to offer rare peeks into what’s truly
on-target and exceptional about America’s drone
wars. In many ways, these days, American
exceptionalism is
<http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/02/opinion/la-oe-engelhardt-american-exceptionalism-20111202>about
as unexceptional as apple pie.  It has, for one
thing, become the everyday language of the
presidential
<http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/02/obama-rebuffs-romney-on-exceptional-america/>campaign
trail.  And that shouldn’t surprise us
either.  After all, great powers and their
leaders tend to think well of themselves.  The
French had their “mission civilisatrice,” the
Chinese had the “mandate of heaven,” and like all
imperial powers they inevitably thought they were
doing the best for themselves and others, sadly
benighted, in this best of all possible worlds.

<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1608461548/ref=nosim/?tag=tomdispatch-20>
[]
Sometimes, though, the American version of this
does seem... I hate to use the word, but
exceptional.  If you want to get a taste of just
what this means, consider as Exhibit One a
<http://www.wilsoncenter.org/event/the-efficacy-and-ethics-us-counterterrorism-strategy>recent
speech by the president’s counterterrorism
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2048317,00.html>“tsar,”
John Brennan, at the Woodrow Wilson International
Center for Scholars.  According to his own
account, he was dispatched to the center by
President Obama to provide greater openness when
it comes to the administration’s secret drone
wars, to respond to critics of the drones and
their legality, and undoubtedly to put a smiley
face on drone operations generally.

Ever since the Puritan minister John Winthrop
first used the phrase in a sermon on shipboard on
the way to North America,
“<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_upon_a_Hill>a
city upon a hill” has caught something of at
least one American-style dream -- a sense that
this country’s fate was to be a blessed paragon
for the rest of the world, an exception to every
norm.  In the last century, it became “a shining
city upon a hill” and was regularly cited in presidential addresses.

Whatever that “city,” that dream, was once
imagined to be, it has undergone a largely
unnoticed metamorphosis in the twenty-first
century.  It has become -- even in our dreams --
an up-armored garrison encampment, just as
Washington itself has become the heavily
fortified bureaucratic heartland of a war
state.  So when Brennan spoke, what he offered
was a new version of American exceptionalism: the
first “shining drone upon a hill” speech, which
also qualifies as an instant classic of self-congratulation.

Never, according to him, has a country with such
an advanced weapon system as the drone used it
quite so judiciously, quite so -- if not
peacefully -- at least with the sagacity and
skill usually reserved for the gods.  American
drone strikes, he assured his listeners, are
“ethical and just," "wise," and "surgically
precise” -- exactly what you’d expect from a
country he refers to, quoting the president, as
the preeminent “standard bearer in the conduct of war.”

Those drone strikes, he assured his listeners,
are based on staggeringly “rigorous standards”
involving the individual identification of human
targets. Even when visited
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/anwar-al-awlakis-family-speaks-out-against-his-sons-deaths/2011/10/17/gIQA8kFssL_story.html>on
American citizens outside declared war zones,
they are invariably “within the bounds of the
law,” as you would expect of the preeminent “nation of laws.”

The strikes are never motivated by vengeance,
always target someone known to us as the worst of
the worst, and almost invariably avoid anyone who
is even the most mediocre of the
mediocre.  (Forget the fact that, as Greg Miller
of the Washington Post
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-seeks-new-authority-to-expand-yemen-drone-campaign/2012/04/18/gIQAsaumRT_story.html>reported,
the CIA has recently received permission from the
president to launch drone strikes in Yemen based
only on the observed “patterns of suspicious
behavior” of groups of unidentified individuals,
as was already true in the Pakistani tribal borderlands.)

Yes, in such circumstances innocents do
unfortunately die, even if unbelievably rarely --
and for that we couldn’t be more regretful.  Such
deaths, however, are in some sense salutary,
since they lead to the most rigorous reviews and
reassessments of, and so improvements in, our
actions. “This too,” Brennan assured his
audience, “is a reflection of our values as Americans.”

“I would note,” he added, “that these standards,
for identifying a target and avoiding... the loss
of lives of innocent civilians, exceed what is
required as a matter of international law on a
typical battlefield.  That’s another example of
the high standards to which we hold ourselves.”

And that’s just a taste of the tone and substance
of the speech given by the president’s leading
counterterrorism expert, and in it he’s no
outlier.  It catches something about an American
sense of self at this moment.  Yes, Americans may
be
<http://ap-gfkpoll.com/uncategorized/may-2012-poll-findings>ever
more down on the Afghan war, but like their
leaders, they are high on drones.  In a February
Washington Post/ABC News poll,
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-finds-broad-support-for-obamas-counterterrorism-policies/2012/02/07/gIQAFrSEyQ_story.html>83%
of respondents supported the administration’s use
of drones.  Perhaps that’s not surprising either,
since the drones are generally presented here as
the
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175507/tom_engelhardt_remotely_piloted_war>coolest
of machines, as well as cheap alternatives (in
money and lives) to sending more armies onto the Eurasian mainland.

Predator Nation

In these last years, this country has pioneered
the development of the most advanced killing
machines on the planet for which the national
security state has
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175195/nick_turse_the_drone_surge>plans
decades into the future.  Conceptually speaking,
our leaders have also established their “right”
to send these robot assassins into any airspace,
no matter the
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4a8cc3c-96c0-11e1-847c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1ubYwZkbC>local
claims of national sovereignty, to take out those
we define as evil or simply to protect American
interests.  On this, Brennan couldn’t be
clearer.  In the process, we have turned much of
the rest of the planet into what can only be
considered an American
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/archive/175535/tom_engelhardt_the_Obama_conundrum>free-fire
zone.

We have, in short, established a remarkably
expansive set of drone-war rules for the global
future.  Naturally, we trust ourselves with such
rules, but there is a fly in the ointment, even
as the droniacs see it.  Others far less
sagacious, kindly, lawful, and good than we are
do exist on this planet and they may soon have
their own fleets of drones.  About
<http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/19/opinion/cortright-drones/index.html>50
countries are
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/sunday-review/coming-soon-the-drone-arms-race.html>today
buying or
<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/11/drone-world/?pid=859&viewall=true>developing
such robotic aircraft, including Russia, China,
and Iran, not to speak of Hezbollah in
Lebanon.  And who knows what terror groups are looking into suicide drones?

As the Washington Post’s David Ignatius
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/politicizing-the-drone-debate/2012/05/02/gIQArTMTxT_story.html>put
it in a column about Brennan’s speech: “What if
the Chinese deployed drones to protect their
workers in southern Sudan against rebels who have
killed them in past attacks? What if Iran used
them against Kurdish separatists they regard as
terrorists? What if Russia used them over
Chechnya? What position would the United States
take, and wouldn’t it be hypocritical if it
opposed drone attacks by other nations that face
‘imminent’ or ‘significant’ threats?”

This is Washington’s global drone conundrum as
seen from inside the Beltway.  These are the
nightmarish scenarios even our leaders can
imagine others producing with their own drones
and our rules.  A deeply embedded sense of
American exceptionalism, a powerful belief in
their own special, self-evident goodness,
however, conveniently blinds them to what they
are doing right now.  Looking in the mirror, they
are incapable of seeing a mask of death.  And yet
our proudest export at present, other than
Hollywood
<http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Official-Avengers-Box-Office-Numbers-Even-Bigger-Than-You-Thought-30796.html>superhero
films, may be a stone-cold robotic killer with a
name straight out of a <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093773/>horror movie.

Consider this as well: those “shining drones”
launched on campaigns of assassination and
slaughter are increasingly the “face” that we
choose to present to the world.  And yet it’s
beyond us why it might not shine for others.

In reality, it’s not so hard to imagine what we
increasingly look like to those others: a
Predator nation.  And not just to the parents and
relatives of the more than
<http://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/2011/08/11/more-than-160-children-killed-in-us-strikes/>160
children the Bureau of Investigative Journalism
has documented as having died in U.S. drone
strikes in Pakistan.  After all, war is now the
only game in town.  Peace?  For the managers of
our national security state, it’s neither a word
worth mentioning, nor an imaginable condition.

In truth, our leaders should be in mourning for
whatever peaceful dreams we ever had.  But
mention drones and they light up.  They’re having
a love affair with those machines.  They just
can’t get enough of them or imagine their world or ours without them.

What they can’t see in the haze of exceptional
self-congratulation is this: they are
transforming the promise of America into a
promise of death. And death, visited from the
skies, isn’t precise. It isn’t glorious. It isn’t
judicious. It certainly isn’t a shining
vision.  It’s hell.  And it’s a global future for
which, someday, no one will thank us.

Tom Engelhardt, co-founder of the
<http://americanempireproject.com/>American
Empire Project and the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1608460711/ref=nosim/?tag=tomdispatch-20>The
American Way of War: How Bush’s Wars Became
Obama’s as well as
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/155849586X/ref=nosim/?tag=tomdispatch-20>The
End of Victory Culture, runs the Nation
Institute's
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/>TomDispatch.com. His
latest book is
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1608461548/ref=nosim/?tag=tomdispatch-20>The
United States of Fear (Haymarket Books).

Follow TomDispatch on Twitter @TomDispatch and
join us on <http://www.facebook.com/tomdispatch>Facebook.

Copyright 2012 Tom Engelhardt