[News] World powers rush to plunge Syria into war

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed May 9 12:33:13 EDT 2012

World powers rush to plunge Syria into war
By Pepe Escobar

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/NE10Ak03.html

(Satire alert)

DAMASCUS - World powers are racing against time to plunge Syria into
all-out civil war, United Nations leader Ban Ki-moon advised, as a
watchdog reported "thousands" of killings of civilians on YouTube by
the Syrian regime.

Speaking after a key United Nations Security Council meeting on
Syria, officials described in detail the "brutality" of President
Bashar al-Assad's forces and said attacks by opposition groups are
"non-existent".

We are in a race against time to promote full-scale civil war -
"death on a potentially massive scale," officials guaranteed. The UN
already estimates that well over 9,000 people have died in the
14-month uprising against Assad while rights groups have put the
number at more than 11,000, every single one of them a victim of the
ruthless Assad regime.

"The government continues to assault its people," the UN secretary
general said. He also criticized the Syrian government for holding
parliamentary elections on Monday. Observers instead evoked the
example of the Saudi royal family, when it appointed a committee of
princes to decide on their succession. Western powers at the time
praised it as the most important step in the history of democracy
since the 1789 French Revolution.

Iran, a staunch ally of the Assad regime, said the elections were a
step towards reform - something immediately dismissed by world powers
as "mullah propaganda".

At least 100 people were killed on YouTube across Syria by regime
forces as the vote was taking place, the one-man, one-legged,
London-based, Gulf-financed Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported.

Troops swept through al-Tamanaa village in Idlib province during the
night, firing shells and bursts of gunfire at random. Scores of
civilians died at the hands of battalions of snipers in the central
city of Homs.

Regime forces also carried out raids and arrests in the town of Douma
in Damascus province, taking scores of young men to an undisclosed
location, according to the Observatory.

The UN-backed truce that went into effect April 12 has failed to take
hold as it was expected, considering it was just a stopgap measure to
prepare for full civil war.

"The international community is facing tremendous difficulties", an
unnamed official said. "We tried regime change via a UN Security
Council resolution, twice, but we were blocked by the Soviets and
communist China. Now our only hope is for NATO [North Atlantic Treaty
Organization] to decide on unilateral action."

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, addressing thousands in
southern Turkey, refused to be deterred by the "difficulties". He
declared, "The glorious day of regime change is at hand". Erdogan
added, "We won't deviate from our all-encompassing policy of neo-Ottomanism."

Pro-government Syrian media said turnout was high in the election
that marked the first time Syria has held a vote since the adoption
in February of a new constitution allowing for multi-party polls.

"Millions of Syrians defied terrorism and chose their representatives
in parliament," said the daily Al-Watan, which estimated voter
turnout at 60%. Yet pictures of crowds outside polling stations in
Damascus were dismissed by world powers as crude forgeries.

In an avalanche of YouTube videos posted online from Deraa, where the
uprising started in March 2011, the Syrian National Council showed
empty streets and all shops closed in protest against the elections.

The opposition dismissed the vote as a ploy by the regime to buy time
and derail the international community from its serious commitment to
civil war.

The new 24-hour Arabic-language channel, Sky News Arabia, a joint
venture between Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahayan, owner of the
English football club Manchester City, and British broadcaster BSkyB,
owned by phone-hacking enabler Rupert Murdoch, described the events
in Syria as "a hopeful precedent towards regime change".

Sky News Arabia - which boasts an impartial "editorial advisory
committee" including two members from the stable of Rupert Murdoch's
News Corp - has promised to outmaneuver Qatar-based al-Jazeera into
depicting the Assad regime as "worse than Hitler".

Sheikh Mansour, reached for comments in Abu Dhabi, said, "Next
weekend we [Manchester City] will be crowned Premier League
champions. Then we will be able to concentrate on winning Syria. We
should not waiver; the future of democracy is at stake."

Pepe Escobar is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0978813820/simpleproduction/ref=nosim>Globalistan:
How the Globalized World is Dissolving into Liquid War (Nimble Books,
2007) and
<http://www.amazon.com/Red-Zone-Blues-snapshot-Baghdad/dp/0978813898>Red
Zone Blues: a snapshot of Baghdad during the surge. His most recent
book, just out, is
<http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Does-Globalistan-Pepe-Escobar/dp/1934840831/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233698286&sr=8-1>Obama
does Globalistan (Nimble Books, 2009).

He may be reached at pepeasia at yahoo.com