[News] The Hoodie & The Hijab — Our Common Struggle for Human Rights

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 30 11:17:55 EDT 2012

     History
     Humor
     Money
     Lifestyle »
     Profiles
     Memoir
     Blogs »

     Social Justice »
     The Hoodie & The Hijab — Our Common Struggle for Human Rights

Social Justice
March 25, 2012

The Hoodie & The Hijab — Our Common Struggle for Human Rights

Written by: RoyaAziz
http://www.dominionofnewyork.com/2012/03/25/the-hoodie-the-hijab-our-common-struggle-for-human-rights/#.T3XNj9WepRT

s a good friend prepares to put together a book
on the topic of hijab in America I referred her
to an incident during then-Senator Barack Obama’s
televised presidential campaign rally in Detroit
when two hijabis were barred from sitting behind
him. The event occurred at a time when there was
close scrutiny of Obama’s identity: the phonetic
similarity to Osama, his very Arab middle name,
Hussein, and, of course, the rumors that he was
actually a practicing Muslim, not that there was
anything wrong with that, to borrow the
inappropriate disclaimer. Obama apologized to the
women and vowed to fight discrimination of this
sort. To many American Muslims it was perplexing
because much of the racism directed at Obama at
the time was being couched in anti-Muslim bias.
At that moment he was not Obama the inspiring
candidate, but Obama the typical American who showed his own anti-Muslim bias.

In the wake of 9/11, American Muslims took to
Islamophobia with some borrowed humor: ‘driving
while black’ became ‘flying while Muslim.’ And
so, as it is with wearing a hoodie, wearing a
hijab elicits similar prejudices, as Geraldo
Rivera reminded us during his TV appearance last
week. In the same commentary where he claims
Trayvon Martin was killed because of his
sweatshirt, Rivera cites Juan Williams’ comments
about being scared when he sees Muslims in
religious garb at the airport (one presumes hijab
is among the articles of clothing that terrify
Williams). Rivera writes that Williams was
copping to his fears, but it was a cowardly cover
— if a black man like Williams, whom Rivera
pointedly refers to as “among America’s sharpest
commentators” can say he’s scared of Muslim
women, it should be valid for him to say that a
black kid in a hoodie had it coming. The
implications of his comparison are unsettling.

While anti-Muslim bias is nowhere near on the
same level as the racism encountered by
generations of black Americans, for American
Muslims there are some clear parallels. My veiled
friends are often regarded with looks of
confusion, disgust and/or plain fear. As a former
hijabi, I know the stares. Shaima Alawadi, who
wore a headscarf, died Saturday after being
brutally beaten with a tire iron in her own home,
ostensibly because she was Muslim and Arab, which
are often erroneously conflated to be one and the
same. She was just 32 and a mother of five. The
Southern Poverty Law Center details similar hate
incidents against Muslims dating between 2001-2011.

Interestingly, one of America’s earliest
introductions to Islam came from the Nation of
Islam. This introduction was accompanied by
American fears of Black Muslim militancy. Decades
later, public awareness of Islam has expanded
beyond the NOI, but the associations and fear of
violence remain. For Muslims — converts,
immigrants and generations born here, Latinos,
Asians, whites and others — Muhammad Ali and
Malcolm X are among our few mainstream
representatives, but their black identity and
struggle for civil rights is more established
than their identity as Muslims. When Yassin Bey
(Mos Def) raps “Black like the veil that the
Muslimina wear
 black like the slave ship belly
that brought us here,” young American Muslims
identify with the lyrics. We see a blending of
Muslim identity with American history, but these
representations are not quite cultural
mainstream. Islam is primarily associated with
Muslims outside of America, inspiring images of
foreigners from strange lands, which in turn
shaped perceptions of Muslims in America. Edward
Said in his 1997 edition of Covering Islam
details how U.S. media representations of Muslims
contributed to negative public perceptions in the
years before September 11. As DoNY contributor
Bilen Misfen recently wrote, a large part of the
problem is that a culture of fear continues to be
reinforced by the media, contributing to the
presumptions of guilt and suspicions, of black
people as criminals and American Muslims as terrorists.

The hoodie and hijab also converge with the issue
of civil rights. My generation was taught in
American schools about melting pots. For a girl
whose family migrated from xenophobic Germany to
California in 1989, it was the kind of message
that shaped my myth of America. Yet today
American Muslims do not contend with Islamophobia
alone, but with the very real possibility that a
donation to a charity or a monitored phone call
could warrant “material support” for terrorism.
The surveillance of Muslim-owned restaurants by
the NYPD and FBI programs that will be
declassified in the distant future recall the era
of COINTELPRO. Civil rights attacks are sometimes
framed as controversies. They are not
controversies — they are violations that apply to
everyone, Muslim or not — and they’re a reminder
of the scary powers of law enforcement when certain communities are targeted.

In the wake of the murders of Trayvon Martin,
Shaima Alawadi and others like them, I recall
Malcolm X’s words: we don’t face a black problem,
a religious problem, or even an American problem — it’s a human problem.