[News] Burson-Marsteller, Alan Gross, and the light at the end of the tunnel

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 29 10:45:29 EDT 2012

Burson-Marsteller, Alan Gross, and the light at the end of the tunnel

Posted on March 28, 2012
http://machetera.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/burson-marsteller-alan-gross-and-the-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-2/

The lesson at the Salpêtrière (1887), by Pierre-André Brouillet (1857 - 1914)

PR as Valium - español, traducido por Manuel Talens, de Tlaxcala

Machetera

Saltpêtrière is a legendary Parisian
hospital.  Built in the 17th century, it was
known as the cradle of neurosciences for having
hosted great teaching doctors such as Charcot,
Babinski and Freud.  In the image above, a famous
painting by Pierre-André Brouillet, the French
doctor Jean-Martin Charcot is portrayed
explaining how to diagnose hysteria in a female
patient whose name has gone down in the annals of
medical history: Blanche Wittman.

The scene is unmistakably sexist: a roomful of
men deciding how to treat a woman for a condition
whose very etymology reveals its sexism.  Simply
by virtue of the fact that she is a woman, she is
at the mercy of their decisions. A victim.  The
two nuns waiting to catch Blanche as she
collapses are mere voiceless spectators.  The men
in this image know everything, the women, nothing.

A century and a quarter later, the story behind
this painting suggests nothing so much as the
case of Judy Gross, the wife of the USAID
contractor imprisoned in Cuba. Paternalism
remains very much alive, and both The New York
Times and Washington Post confirm this through
their participation in the inane media campaign
to pressure Pope Benedict XVI to counsel Cuba to
exchange Rene González for Alan
Gross.  Counseling Cuba, as though it were an
unruly child, not a sovereign country, is
offensive enough.  But it’s nothing new.  The
counsel that Judy Gross is receiving on the other
hand, is another matter.  Instead of being
treated as an active subject, capable of taking
her future into her own hands, Judy’s campaign to
bring her husband home is being managed and
reported by people who have their own, very different priorities.

Paul Berger’s revelation in The Jewish Daily
Forward, that the Burson-Marsteller public
relations firm is behind this silly PR campaign,
was an unexpected development.  For one thing, I
wonder, if Berger had not broken the story, would
The Washington Post ever have admitted it?

A New York Times editorial followed by a
Washington Post feature story promoting a papal
solution are not things that appear by
accident.  At first, I’d imagined it was the
State Department’s doing, but naturally that kind
of lobbying would have been unseemly. So this is
how it really went: Hillary Clinton handed the
talking points to her good friend Don Baer, who
is not only the Vice-Chair of Burson-Marsteller,
but was also Bill Clinton’s speechwriter. Baer
got the sign-off from Mark Penn
(Burson-Marsteller’s CEO and chief strategist on
Hillary’s blundering 2008 campaign) and voilà,
the machinery at both newspapers (and a few
others) sprang to life, encouraging a
González-Gross trade facilitated by the pope.

González is the first of the Cuban Five to have
been released from prison after serving the
maximum sentence for failure to register as a
foreign agent – not, as the Post erroneously
reported, for “spying.”  There’s a
difference.  But we can dissect the Post piece another day.

González is currently on probation in Florida,
while ten Russians who were caught two years ago
as unregistered foreign agents are already home
again in Russia, having been swiftly deported
without facing trial.  The same thing cost
González more than thirteen years of his
life.  Obviously being caught as an unregistered
foreign agent in Miami means something totally
different from being caught for the same thing in
New Jersey.  Especially if you’re Cuban.

Alan Gross, on the other hand, is the US citizen
who is barely two years into his fifteen-year
sentence in Cuban prison, for working to set up a
clandestine internet network there, in violation
of Cuban law. It wasn’t a “humanitarian” project,
no matter how hard Burson-Marsteller
insists.  That was the cover.  Cuban Jews already had internet access.

Offering a virtually free man in exchange for an
imprisoned one works pretty well as a stalling
tactic, evidently, but it’s not a negotiating
strategy.  As the long-time Cuba observer Walter
Lippmann correctly points out, “Israel traded a
thousand Palestinians for one Israeli
soldier.  Washington traded ten Russians caught
here for four Russians caught there spying for
the United States.  Why can’t Washington trade
five Cubans for one US citizen?”  No reason, I
imagine, except for the fact that Hillary Clinton has been calling the shots.

Berger reported that Judy Gross’s criticism of
Obama and US policy toward Cuba was part of a new
approach that “coincides” with
Burson-Marsteller’s involvement.  Perhaps in
timing only.  I’m quite sure that the talking
points Don Baer handed her did not include that.
Even if it were part of some bizarre contrarian
strategy, how far could such criticism go when
Baer is channeling Clinton, who still works for
Obama, until she quits to run against Jeb in 2016?

I have no inside information but I’m willing to
bet that Judy’s well-founded criticism of Obama
was a case of the client escaping the
Burson-Marsteller corral and speaking her mind. Well, it happens.

Oddly enough, I think it reveals a tiny point of
light at the end of the tunnel.  Clinton, Penn,
Baer, and Burson-Marsteller are producing a
miserable script for the Gross family: as tragic
victims and wrongly persecuted Jewish do-gooders
dependent on a miracle from a Catholic
pope.  This campaign is nothing more than a way
of stalling for time, blowing smoke up the
Gross’s backside until Obama’s election is out of
the way.  To the extent that Judy Gross becomes
impatient with the official script, and lets her
real frustration show, she’s one step nearer the
exit.  The pope as her last hope?  Really?  I
certainly hope not.  There are other options.

Playing nice and waiting for Obama and Clinton to
run out the clock for their own electoral desires
should not be one of them, however. Media
pressure on the US Government combined with some
adept social media work and clever alliances, on
the other hand, could actually accomplish
something, but it almost goes without saying that
any PR firm taking dictation from Hillary Clinton
has no incentive to provide this.

Alan and Judy Gross

In fact, as long as Burson-Marsteller is running
the show, the two sides will continue to talk
past one another.  Closing the gap that separates
Alan Gross’s friends and family from the friends
and family, indeed, the millions in the
international community, who want to see the same
for the Cuban Five is one way – possibly the only
way – to move closer to a solution.  And as it
happens, an opportunity is approaching.

With miraculous timing, the International
Committee for the Freedom of the Cuban 5 has
scheduled several days of activities in
Washington in a few weeks (April 17-21), complete
with an all-star list of guests.  It would be
tragic if at least a few people from the Gross
camp didn’t escape their Burson-Marsteller
minders to see what that’s all about.

Stephen Kimber is one of the stars on the
agenda.  Kimber kindly provided me with an
advance copy of his soon-to-be published book,
“What Lies Across the Water” and it’s magnificent
– meticulously researched, honest and
impartial.  For anyone who wants to understand
exactly what the Cuban Five were doing in Miami,
and the subsequent tragedy of their unjust
convictions and incarceration, it is the
definitive source.  Not to mention, a compelling
read.  I wish it had been published ten years
ago.  If there’s one book the Grosses and those
who truly care about finding a solution for their
dilemma need to read, it’s this one.

And
Cindy Sheehan is coming!  What a
gift!  Honestly, if Judy Gross doesn’t go just to
talk to Cindy, who wrote the book on how to
pressure a president, I’ll have to conclude that
Burson-Marsteller is holding her hostage to prevent it.

Finally, there’ll be a picket/rally in front of
the White House.  Let me just suggest that if the
Gross camp were to take the opportunity to join
with the Cuban Five camp at this rally, it would
be a normal PR executive’s dream come true.  The
press would find it irresistible.  It would be a
sign of real movement, and it sells
itself.  Naturally, for all those reasons, the
Clinton-Baer-Penn-Burson-Marsteller crew will say no.

All the more reason for Judy Gross to toss the
Blanche Wittman role on the rubbish heap, and do it.

Machetera and Manuel Talens are members of
Tlaxcala, the international network of
translators for linguistic diversity.  This
article and translation may be reprinted as long
as the content remains unaltered, and the source,
author, and translator are cited.