[News] You can help support the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 13 17:23:10 EDT 2012

  Summer 2012

Dear friends,

Thank you so very much for your support of the
Freedom Archives. We pride ourselves on using
your contributions wisely and staying true to our
mission of documenting the struggles of past
movements and building for future generations.

Our film, COINTELPRO 101, has been an outstanding
success both nationally and internationally. The
film won the best documentary award at the Delta
International Film and Video Festival in
Cleveland, Mississippi and has been shown
throughout the United States at festivals, on
campuses, and in our communities. The film was an
official selection of the Free Speech Film
Festival in Philadelphia and was shown recently
at UC Davis to mobilize students in response to
the pepper spray attacks by UC Davis police and
to support other students being prosecuted for
successfully forcing US Bank off campus.

COINTELPRO 101 was also featured at an event in
Havana, Cuba hosted by the prestigious Cuban
institution OSPAAAL­Organization for Solidarity
with the Peoples of Asia, Africa, and Latin
America. OSPAAL was formed shortly after the
Cuban Revolution and has been a primary vehicle
for cultural and political links between peoples
of the Third World. The event was held to demand
the release of the Cuban 5 and three Puerto Rican
political prisoners held in the United States. WHAT AN HONOR!

In a continuing effort to get the film out far
and wide, Freedom Archives Director Claude Marks
will be touring London with the film in mid-June!

We are nearing completion of a short video on US
political prisoner Herman Bell. Herman was
recently denied parole again­unfortunately not an
uncommon experience for a longtime political
prisoner and former Black Panther Party member.
The video features Herman’s family and
actor/activist Danny Glover. Our work on the case
of Herman Bell and his comrade Jalil Muntaqim is
a continuation of our active support for the San
Francisco 8. You can read more about Herman at
www.freethesf8.org/Herman_Bell.html.

Your support also made possible the release of
the second edition of our Robert and Mabel
Williams Resource Guide which will be available
in June. This 84-page book can be used on its own
or in connection with our audio CD Robert F.
Williams: Self Respect, Self Defense & Self
Determination. This is the unique story of a
lifelong freedom fighter, told though the voice
of Mabel Williams, his wife and comrade,
describing their militant struggles with the Klan
in North Carolina, through exile and organizing
in Cuba, China, Vietnam, and Africa, and eventually back to the United States.

Make sure that you get a copy for yourself, your
library, or your organization. The first edition has completely sold out.

It is during these times that we are reminded
about the importance of preserving the past, and illuminating the future.

We are able to do this ground breaking work only
with your financial support and our shared
commitment to the goals of the Freedom Archives.

Our network has grown by leaps and bounds,
allowing our work to reach movements nationally
and around the world. We are frequently contacted
by activists, students, historians, and community
members who seek to explore and make use of the
multifaceted resources of the Archives.

Our phones are busier than ever and our volunteer
staff works hard to classify our growing
collections­audio, video, and documents­and post
summaries on our searchable database.

We are in a strong position to continue and build
on the successes of the past 12 years and to
ensure that the Freedom Archives is here for
generations to come. Only you can make that
possible. Please help us go forward by making a
<https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=33005>contribution
or become a monthly sustainer.

We deeply appreciate your support!

Claude Marks