[News] Muslims file federal suit to stop NYPD spying

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 6 10:55:09 EDT 2012

Muslims file federal suit to stop NYPD spying

Published June 06, 2012

Associated Press
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/06/nj-muslims-file-federal-suit-to-stop-nypd-spying/

WASHINGTON –  Eight Muslims filed a federal
lawsuit Wednesday in New Jersey to force the New
York Police Department to end its surveillance
and other intelligence-gathering practices
targeting Muslims in the years after the 2001
terrorist attacks. The lawsuit alleged that the
police activities were unconstitutional because
they focused on people's religion, national origin and race.

It is the first lawsuit to directly challenge the
NYPD's surveillance programs, which were the
subject of an investigative series by The
Associated Press since last year. Based on
internal NYPD reports and interviews with
officials involved in the programs, the AP
reported that the NYPD conducted wholesale
surveillance of entire Muslim neighborhoods,
chronicling daily life including where people
ate, prayed and got their hair cut. Police
infiltrated dozens of mosques and Muslim student
groups and investigated hundreds more.

Syed Farhaj Hassan, one of the plaintiffs,
stopped attending one mosque as often after he
learned it was one of four where he worships that
were included in NYPD files. Those mosques were
located along the East Coast from central
Connecticut to the Philadelphia suburbs, but none
was linked to terrorism, either publicly or in the confidential NYPD documents.

Hassan, an Army reservist from a small town
outside of New Brunswick, N.J., said he was
concerned that anything linking his life to
potential terrorism would hurt his military security clearance.

"Guilt by association was forced on me," Hassan said.

The NYPD did not respond to questions about the
lawsuit but noted the New Jersey attorney general
determined last month that NYPD activities in New Jersey were legal.

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly has said his
department is obligated to do this type of
surveillance in order to protect New York from
another 9/11. Kelly has said the 2001 attacks
proved that New Yorkers could not rely solely on
the federal government for protection, and the
NYPD needed to enhance its efforts.

Hassan said he served in Iraq in 2003 to stop the
atrocities of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's secret police.

"I didn't know they had one across the Hudson,"
he said, referring to the NYPD intelligence division.

California-based Muslim Advocates, a civil rights
organization that meets regularly with
representatives of the Obama administration, is
representing the plaintiffs in the case for free.

"The NYPD program is founded upon a false and
constitutionally impermissible premise: that
Muslim religious identity is a legitimate
criterion for selection of law-enforcement
surveillance targets," the lawsuit said.

New Jersey lawmakers were outraged earlier this
year when they learned of the surveillance. But
after a three-month review, the state's attorney
general found that the NYPD did not violate any
state laws when it spied on Muslim neighborhoods
and organizations. The attorney general found no
recourse for the state of New Jersey to stop the
NYPD from infiltrating Muslim student groups,
video-taping mosque-goers or collecting their
license plate numbers as they prayed.

No court has ruled that the NYPD programs were
illegal. But the division operates without
significant oversight: The New York City Council
does not believe it has the expertise to oversee
the intelligence division, and Congress believes
the NYPD is not part of its jurisdiction even
though the police department receives billions in federal funding each year.

Members of Congress and civil rights groups have
urged the Justice Department to investigate the
NYPD's practices. A Justice Department
spokeswoman said they are still reviewing the
requests. Federal investigations into police
departments typically focus on police abuse or
racial profiling in arrests. Since 9/11, the
Justice Department has never publicly
investigated a police department for its
surveillance in national security investigations.

Because of widespread civil rights abuses during
the 1950s and 1960s, the NYPD has been limited by
a court order in what intelligence it can gather
on innocent people. Lawyers in that case have
questioned whether the post-9/11 spying violates
that order. The lawsuit filed Wednesday is a separate legal challenge.

The NYPD and New York officials have said the
surveillance programs violated no one's
constitutional rights, and the NYPD is allowed to
travel anywhere to collect information. Officials
have said NYPD lawyers closely review the intelligence division's programs.

"The constitutional violation that the NYPD did
commit was blanket surveillance of a group based
on religion," said Glenn Katon, Muslim Advocate's
legal director. He said a program that treats
people differently based on religion, national
origin or race is subject to the Constitution.
"That's the crux of our claim," he said.

A George Washington University law professor,
Jonathan Turley, said it would be a challenge to
convince the government that the NYPD's practices
were illegal because the courts and Congress have
allowed more and more surveillance in the years
since 9/11. But, he said, most of these questions
have been handled in policy debates and not in the court systems.

Nineteen-year-old Moiz Mohammed, a sophomore at
Rutgers University, said he was moved to join the
lawsuit after reading reports that the NYPD had
conducted surveillance of Muslim student groups
at colleges across the Northeast, including his
own. He said the revelations had made him nervous
to pray in public or engage in lively debates
with fellow students ­ a practice he said he once
most enjoyed about the college atmosphere.

"It's such an unfair thing going on: Here I am, I
am an American citizen, I was born here, I am law
abiding, I volunteer in my community, I have
dialogues and good relationships with Muslims and
non-Muslims alike, and the NYPD here is surveilling people like me?"

"We feel as though it was a violation of our
constitutional and our civil and our human
rights," said Abdul Kareem Muhammad, one of the
plaintiff's in the case. Muhammad is the imam of
the Newark mosque, Masjid al-Haqq. That mosque
was listed and pictured in a September 2007 NYPD report on Newark.

"We have a very strong objection to that,"
Muhammad said. "We condemn and denounce every form of terrorism."

Muhammad said he and other Muslim community
leaders have not been given assurances that the
NYPD is no longer conducting surveillance on their communities.

"That's become very disturbing, too," Muhammad
said. "There's a possibility that this is still going on."

___

Associated Press reporters Matt Apuzzo and Adam
Goldman in Washington, Samantha Henry in Newark,
and Tom Hays and researcher Judith Ausuebel in
New York contributed to this story.

Read more:
<http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/06/nj-muslims-file-federal-suit-to-stop-nypd-spying/#ixzz1x1cZofwm>http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/06/nj-muslims-file-federal-suit-to-stop-nypd-spying/#ixzz1x1cZofwm