[News] Students Step Up Tucson Walkouts - Arizona high schools may soon offer Bible classes

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 25 12:57:30 EST 2012

2 articles follow

Students Step Up Tucson Walkouts

Protest School District Folly and Mexican American Studies Banishment

by <http://www.commondreams.org/jeff-biggers>Jeff Biggers

As the
<http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/22/how-tucson-schools-changed-after-mexican-american-studies-ban/?hpt=hp_c4>nation
watches the Tucson Unified School District’s
spiral into disarray, hundreds of students walked
out of their Tucson schools Monday in a
coordinated protest against the
<http://azstarnet.com/news/local/neto-s-tucson-mex-american-studies-teachers-students-are-left/article_b20814cf-c212-5bbf-aa29-34a21bd681c9.html>banishment
of the district’s acclaimed Mexican American Studies program.

Pouring into the downtown Tucson area from
Pueblo, Cholla and Tucson high schools, among
other institutions, the students brought their
march to the offices of floundering Tucson
Unified School District (TUSD) administrators. In
recent days, administrators and board members
have issued a series of
<http://www.salon.com/2012/01/18/tucson_says_banished_books_may_return_to_classrooms/>conflicting
and
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/in-the-aggregate/2012/01/22/mark-stegeman-constituent-letter-needs-some-clarification/>inaccurate
statements and carried out the extreme actions of
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2012/01/22/video-mexican-lies-and-videotape/>confiscating
books in front of children. Last week, a recently
hired assistant superintendent from Texas made
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQv3tm6um0w&feature=related>a
troubing call for the deeply rooted Tucson
students–many of whom trace their ancestors to
the town founders– to “go to Mexico” to study their history.

In a district with over 60 percent of the
students coming from Mexican American
backgrounds, the TUSD board “dismantled its
Mexican-American studies program, packed away its
offending books, shuttled its students into other
classes,” according to an
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/opinion/sunday/rejected-in-tucson.html?_r=1>editorial
in the New York Times on Sunday, because “it was blackmailed into doing so.”

The New York Times referred to the extremist
measures of Arizona state superintendent of
public instruction John Huppenthal on January
10th, who threatened to withhold millions of
dollars if TUSD didn’t terminate the
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/profiles-in-courage-on-fr_b_927726.html>nationally
acclaimed program immediately.

As her Tucson school district prepares to
celebrate the 140th anniversary of its founding
by Mexican American immigrant Estevan Ochoa,
Cholla High School student Ahtziri Iñiguez noted
that she was following the march in the footsteps
of her brother, a graduate of the Mexican American Studies Program.

“I think it’s very unfair that people here don’t
let us learn about our own culture,” she said.
“My brother took (Mexican American Studies)
classes his junior year and he would go home and
discuss with my Mom and interested me in
education, so I knew I wanted to take these classes.”

Less than two months away from the
anniversary<http://www.cesarchavezholiday.org/>
celebration of Arizona native and United Farm
Worker leader Cesar Chavez, Iñiguez added: “We
did this walk out to prove if you want something
you should fight for what you believe in, because
if you don’t do anything, nothing will change.”

Known as the “Sheriff Arpaio of Ethnic Studies,”
Arizona education chief John Huppenthal defended
his campaign slogan to “stop la raza” in an
extraordinary<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/18/debating_tucson_school_districts_book_ban>
Democracy Now debate on TV last week. The Tea
Party activist Huppenthal has referred to Mexican
American students as
“<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/az-school-chief-compares-_b_985390.html>Hitler
Jugend,” and raised concerns across the nation
about<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/did-arizona-education-chi_b_879584.html>
possible criminal behavior last summer when he
openly misrepresented the results of an
independent audit that praised the Mexican
American Studies program and found it in
compliance with Arizona’s bizarre Ethnic Studies law.

State Rep. Sally Gonzales introduced
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2012/01/19/rep-sally-gonzales-introduces-hb2654-to-repeal-ethnic-studies-ban-in-arizona/>a
bill to repeal the Ethnic Studies crackdown last
week. A similar bill to repeal Arizona’s
notorious SB 1070 immigration law was also being introduced.

Instead of surrendering to Huppenthal’s
crackdown, many community leaders in Tucson
called on the Tucson Unified School District
board to join a federal
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/ethnic-studies-emergency-_b_1095869.html>court
suit against the state and summon the Civil
Rights Division of the Department of Justice to
follow up their investigation of
<http://www.salon.com/2011/12/16/sheriff_joe_takes_another_hit/singleton>Arpaio
and investigate Huppenthal for racial profiling,
hate crimes, fraud and even extortion.

Last month, when the DOJ charged Arpaio with
“chronic culture of disregard for basic legal and
constitutional obligations” and a “widespread
pattern or practice of
activities that
discriminate against Latinos,” Tucson supporters
of Ethnic Studies wonder if similar charges could
be made for Attorney General Tom Horne and
Superintendent Huppenthal, who have
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/invoking-violent-imagery-_b_957407.html>invoked
violent imagery and pathologically
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/precious-knowledge-arizona_b_875702.html>singled
out only Tucson’s Mexican American Studies program.

Jeff Biggers is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1593761511?tag=commondreams-20/ref=nosim>The
United States of Appalachia, and more recently,
<http://www.amazon.com/dp/1568584210?tag=commondreams-20/ref=nosim>Reckoning
at Eagle Creek: The Secret Legacy of Coal in the
Heartland (The Nation/Basic Books).

Arizona high schools may soon offer Bible classes

http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2012/01/23/arizona-high-schools-may-soon-offer-bible-classes/

by
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/author/alia-beard-rau/>Alia
Beard Rau on Jan. 23, 2012, under
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/category/arizona-republic-news/>Arizona
Republic News

Arizona’s public and charter high-school students
could soon earn credit for learning about the
influence of the Old Testament on art or how
biblical references are found throughout literature.

Rep. Terri Proud, R-Tucson, has proposed
legislation that would make Arizona the sixth
state in the nation to allow schools to offer a
high-school elective course on the Bible.
Currently, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, South
Carolina and Oklahoma have laws allowing such classes.

State law currently doesn’t ban the use of the
Bible, or any other religious document, as part
of a public-school class curriculum as long as it
is for academic purposes and does not involve
sectarian ideas or religious devotion. But Proud
said teachers and school districts are still
often afraid to even discuss religion in their classrooms.

“There is this false perception that separation
of church means absolutely no religion in school,
that the Bible is not allowed,” Proud said. “That is absolutely not true.”

Her legislation, she said, makes it clear that
teachers can teach the Bible “in a very restricted way.”

“A lot of it has to do with debunking a lot of
ignorance that our districts are trying to force
upon the teachers,” she said. “There are people
out there who hate the Bible and everything about
it. That’s fine, but don’t deprive our children
of biblical literature because of your personal feelings.”

House Bill 2473 would allow public and charter
high schools to offer an elective course on the
“critical evaluation and examination of the Bible
as a literary work” starting June30, 2013.

HB 2563 would require the State Board of
Education to determine the requirements for a
high-school course called “The Bible and its
Influence on Western Culture.” The course must
include the history, literature and influence of
the Old and New testaments on laws, history,
government, literature, art, music customs, morals, values and culture.

The course must follow state and federal law in
maintaining religious neutrality and
accommodating diverse religious views. Course
credits must count toward graduation.

“The regulations are very specific,” Proud said.
“We don’t want anybody to go rogue on this topic.”

Marc Victor, a Chandler attorney who has
represented groups including the Freedom from
Religion Foundation in
separation-of-church-and-state issues, said he
has no problem with the legislation.

“To deny that the Bible has had a substantial
influence on our culture, our laws and our
ethics would be ridiculous,” Victor said. “If
it’s done in an intellectually honest, non-biased
way for educational purposes, it’s a great idea.”

Doug Kilgore with the Arizona Education
Association disagrees, calling it a solution in search of a problem.

“Teachers, as long as they are even-handed, can
already include the Bible in their curriculum,” he said.

But he said he questions the constitutionality of
specifically allowing a course on the Bible
without addressing other religious texts.

The Washington, D.C.-based Americans United for
Separation of Church and State has been closely
monitoring these classes in states that have passed similar legislation.

Senior policy analyst Rob Boston said there is no
legal problem with laws allowing schools to offer
such classes on the Bible. But there have been
problems with some of those doing the teaching.

“These types of classes sound good in theory, but
in practicality they can be very difficult to pull off,” Boston said.

He said there is rarely any teacher training
offered for those teaching the course, making it
challenging for teachers to walk the line between academic and proselytizing.

He said lawmakers typically have more interest in
these classes than students do. Georgia, which
has offered the course for several years, has
seen dwindling interest, Boston said. As a
result, many districts have stopped offering the course.

Boston also suggested lawmakers need to think
carefully about whether they really want what they are asking for.

“Many people consider the Bible to be the literal
rule of God and believe accounts to be history,”
he said. “But the academic views of the Bible
usually hold that the Bible is a collection of
stories and myths. So are teachers supposed to
ignore the overwhelming majority of scholars and
give equal billing to a fundamentalist idea?”

Both bills have been assigned to the House
Education Committee but do not yet have a hearing date.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 23rd,
2012 at 10:13 pm and is filed under
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/category/arizona-republic-news/>Arizona
Republic News.You can follow any responses to
this entry through the
<http://tucsoncitizen.com/arizona-news/2012/01/23/arizona-high-schools-may-soon-offer-bible-classes/feed/>RSS
2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a
response. Pinging is currently not allowed.