[News] Dead Iraqis Occupy Wall Street

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 6 16:22:22 EST 2012

DEAD IRAQIS OCCUPY WALL STREET

             With the war in Iraq now officially
over and the Occupy Wall Street movement less
visible, life in New York was expected to return
to normal. Instead, several recent passersby in
Manhattan’s financial district have reported
seeing thousands of deceased Iraqi civilians
taking up residence at Zuccotti Park. The park
served for two months in the fall of 2011 as a
protest base for thousands of OWS activists.

             Although the Iraqis remain largely
silent and immobile, some witnesses claim to have
seen individual deceased mothers, students, and
the elderly holding up the backs of old pizza
boxes, on which have been scrawled the English words, “Remember Me.”

             Public reaction has been mixed. Some
say the dead are “occupying” the park in
nonviolent protest; others accuse the Iraqis of
faking their own deaths in order to flout U.S.
immigration laws. The Bloomberg administration,
having evicted hundreds of living protesters from
the park in mid-November, has thus far maintained a wary tolerance.

             “I’m not sure we can give twinkles
to this new batch of malcontents,” stated Mayor
Michael Bloomberg at a press conference
yesterday, wiggling his upwardly pointing fingers
in the OWS sign of agreement. “But so long as
they don’t discourage business as usual, New York will allow them to stay.”

             “In your face, Bloomberg!” shouted
Sally Street, an Occupy movement protester
interviewed in an atrium on Wall Street, where an
activist meeting was taking place.

             “Just let the cops try and bust
these Iraqis,” continued Ms. Street, one of
Zuccotti Park’s recent evictees. “These folks are
impervious to pepper spray. They don’t mind the
cold weather. They never sleep, so they don’t
need blankets or tents. And they’re clearly not
going to bug the local merchants to use their
bathrooms. Hey, this is what democracy looks like.”

             Other OWS protesters greeted this
statement with downwardly wiggling “de-twinkle”
fingers, to express disagreement. “Why do you
have to be dead in order to occupy public space?”
queried Mike Check, frequent presence at the OWS
General Assembly. “I mean, if these Iraqi dudes
are supposed to be, uh, no longer with us, how come they’re still with us?”

             “Maybe we need them here,” called a
lone voice somewhere amid the crowd. “Maybe, if
we want the Occupy movement to last, we’ve got to
see the ordinary people our government has killed
all over the world as part of the 99 percent.”

             According to an unofficial count,
the number of deceased Iraqis inhabiting Zuccotti
Park is around 126,000. Interestingly, this
figure coincides with the conservative estimate
of Iraqi civilians killed as a direct result of
military violence since the war began in March
2003. Other sources claim the Iraqi death toll is
well over 1,000,000, not counting another 500,000
Iraqis, mostly children, who died due to earlier
U.S. economic sanctions against Iraq.

             “Oh, who cares how many of those
ne’er-do-wells expired?” remarked Marge N. Call,
financial analyst whose condominium is near
Zuccotti Park, and who had strolled by walking
her daschund. “It was bad enough when living
Americans were drumming and defecating here, but
dead Arabs? Even if they’re clean and quiet
they’re much more annoying, morally.” Ms. Call
walked briskly away, neglecting to clean up her dog’s leavings.

             “This is also an insult to the 3,000
Americans who perished so tragically on September
11,” added Eustace Tilley, prosperous
man-about-town, who frequently appears on the
cover of The New Yorker. Mr. Tilley, who
spearheaded “Bless Our Bull,” an ad hoc committee
to protect the Wall Street “Charging Bull”
sculpture from anti-capitalist vandals, explained by crunching some numbers.

             “If you divide 126,000 by 3,000, you
get exactly 42. That is the greater real value of
each of the people who were lost at the World
Trade Center, compared to the unwashed Iraqi
dead. Please note that the value of those who
died on 9-11 increases almost exponentially when
you factor in additional numbers of ordinary
civilians killed in Afghanistan and Pakistan
because of U.S.-sponsored military ventures.”

             Perhaps it is because they feel an
affinity with others of low market value that the
Iraqi dead keep entering the country. Stories
have begun circulating that some of these Iraqis
are migrating to various foreclosure sites, and
sit silently among former homeowners and Occupy movement protesters.

             Accounts such as these are, to many
politicians, cause for alarm. “Isn’t it obvious
these – things – are illegal aliens?” asked
Republican Presidential hopeful Rick Santorum.
“As soon as our backs are turned, they’re going
to reproduce. Their little zombie terrorist
anchor-babies will grow up to demand voter ID cards and burn our Bibles.”

             Anonymous White House insiders,
however, describe such opinions as shortsighted.
They add that the U.S. is lucky to be hit with an
occupation of the Iraqi dead, and not the Iraqi
living. “Imagine what we’d have to deal with if
the 3.5 million Iraqis made refugees by the war
were to come here,” speculated one source. “We
wouldn’t have the faintest idea what to do.”

             In quick agreement, the other
anonymous White House sources responded with a
unanimous flurry of twinkle-fingers, earnestly waving skyward.

                                                                             ©
Susie Day 2012