[News] Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - 164 years of occupation!

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 1 10:38:17 EST 2012

2 pieces follow

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo 1848
Feb 2, 1848-2012  -  164 years of occupation!

Because in the 1836 to 1900', we as a Mexican@ Indigenous people were
displaced by force off our lands in South Texas and what is now the
Southwestern United States, and by the 1900's we were working what
were our lands but now under Gringo ownership. The invaders and
occupiers became the owners and we became 'cheap' wage-labor,

Because the clauses guaranteeing the land ownership of Mexican and
Indigenous people north of the borderline established by the War of
the United States against Mexico 1845-48 and under the protection by
the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo but that were VIOLATED repeatedly and
with impunity,

Because our people suffered a campaign of terror and death at the guns
of white racist vigilantes, lynchings by White mobs, the mass savage
killings by the Texas Rangers, and genocide under the Slave Republic
of Texas and under United States occupation and military control that
turned the northwestern part of Mexico, into the now Southwest of the
United States,

Because we have been treated and have experienced genocide in
indigenous peoples and lands, national oppression as a people,
exploitation as a working class, racism and racial segregation, mass
deportations as migrant workers and youth experience incarceration not
education,

And because, our people have a story of unending struggle and
resistance against the violence, national oppression, racist
segregation, class exploitation, mass deportations, and inequality

We believe that we must recognize the US-Mexico border line and the
Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo of 1848, as ILLEGAL! (It is a border
imposed by military force, war, invasion and oppression) and denounce
them every year on this date,

We must rescue and revive our peoples struggles and stories; A
regeneration of our culture, universal human rights, indigenous roots,
and languages, and connection to the land that is not U.S. Centric,

We must decolonize our lands, our minds, spirits and our people for we
are for all practical and political purposes treated as an internal
colony within the entrails of the monster.

We reject the assimilationist models of hegemonic power, capitalism
and imperialism, colonialism and white supremacy and hold high our
goal for liberation, not just reform; but true democracy, and
universal equality for all!

Another United States is Possible and Necessary for another world to
be possible and happen!

Discussion Paper On Immigration 2012
Mexican National Liberation Movement

The recent history of the Mexican people in the
United States of America clearly shows that we as
a community started out on the right track by
attempting to transform our situation and to
create a better life for our children. However,
much of the energy that we generated in the year
2005 was quickly taken away from us by the powers
that be. The Catholic Church, along with the
Labor Unions, could not allow the Mexican people
to start to define for themselves what we needed
as a people. They could not let the feelings of
our people run free. They felt like they had to
corral that energy and so they moved to harness
all of our people’s energy and redirected all our
momentum down a road that they picked for us –
the road towards reform. They said to us that we
had to exercise our power within the parameters
set down by the Democratic Party, Labor Unions
and the Catholic Church. These institutions could
not allow for an independent base to emerge
within the confines of the United States, and so
the only way to harness this power was to direct
it in the direction of political reform and
completely away from the direction of
independence, which the powers that be knew that
the United States population would never accept.
Those of our people who were first generation or
second generation bought into the whole question
of democracy, while never understanding
historically what the Mexicans that had lived
here since the termination of the Mexican
American war had experienced. An so they took our
people down the road to reform and what
transpired was the corruption of all that energy,
the same energy that could have given us some
form of substance, methodically evaporated into nothing.

We must look to what has historically transpired
with the Mexican population since the Alamo or
since the Mexican American war. We are a very
resilient people but we have to make some
historical analysis of our current situation. We
as Mexicans are the only people that had a war
waged against them and who also reside within the
confines of this country. The Mexican American
war was the cession of Texas and the battle at
the Alamo. Because of this, we cannot allow the
criminalization of our people and the term
illegal to be applied to us as humans. We must
counter this attack with the fact that the United
States stole and plundered our land and raped our
people. We as Mexicans have a right to be here on
our land. We have to fight for this position
today as the Empire is engulfed in wars of
conquest in the Middle East. How can this Empire
propose democracy in the world and build a wall
of infamy against our people? We as a people have
to rise up to their challenge as original people
in the Americas, as the original inhabitants of
Turtle Island. Why do we want to be part of an
empire that is destroying people in all parts of
the world? This is the same empire that has
created the conditions in Mexico where 51 % of
our people live in poverty and 25 % live in
extreme poverty. This means that only 20 % of our
people are making it. This is a reality that all
of Latin America currently faces.

As Mexicans and Latinos we must understand what
is happening in our homelands to be able to wage
a struggle to emancipate our people-be it in
Mexico or all of Latin America. All people who
come here from all the different parts of the
Americas have to understand that these
territories, the seven states that were plundered
during the Mexican American war, are all part of
occupied Mexico. This is why we have to have a
different view on the question of immigration.
For the Mexican people this is really a question
of migration from one part of our country to the
other. People who choose not to hear this really
do not understand history- you can distort it but
you can never change it. As Mexicanos we are part
of the original people of the Americas, and
because of this we can never turn our backs on
our history, as it is the door that will take us
to our future. There can never be any reform for
us in this empire because this empire was never
created to accommodate us, it was created to
plunder and rape our natural resources and our
Mother Earth. If we as a people believe that we
can accommodate ourselves to this empire then we
have to also face the reality of going all over
the world to kill people in their own homeland so
that the empire can take control of their natural
resources and gain control of the almighty
dollar. If that’s what you as an individual are
willing to do to accommodate yourself to be a
part of this country then you have lost touch
with your humanity. We as a people have to fight
on both sides of the imposed border to affect
change and to align ourselves with what really
represents humanity and learn from other people
in the world who have fought for the independence
of their countries. Let us band together with the
other five and a half billion people that work
every day for fifty cents, one dollar or two
dollars a day. In the words of Mao, we must
“organize the many to defeat the few.” It often
seems like such an insurmountable task but
everywhere in the world there is poverty and
there is struggle and even though it has its own
dynamics we have to understand why this situation
exists. We have to stop blaming ourselves for our own oppression.

The following legislative actions prove the
historical contradictions of the so called
democracy of the United States. The original
fugitive slave act of 1793 was a federal law that
was written with the intention of enforcing
Article 4- section 2 of the United States
Constitution. In 1850 the only people who had to
deal with the question of papers and legality
were African Americans. In recognition of
southern support for California’s admission to
the union as a free state and ending the slave
trade in the District of Columbia, Congress
enacted the Fugitive Slave Act to assist the
south with maintaining a tight rein on
slaveholders’ property. Existing laws had created
a system designed to enforce the institution of
slavery. Southern states usually had slave codes
that prevented slaves from being at large without
a pass. All this is very similar to Apartheid/
South African pass laws and today's papers for
undocumented immigrants. The key word in all of
this is racial profiling. This new law declared
that any federal marshal or other officials who
did not arrest a runaway slave was liable of
receiving a $1,000 fine and six months in prison.
Law enforcement officials everywhere now had a
duty to arrest anyone suspected of being a
runaway slave based on no evidence other than a
claimant’s sworn testimony of ownership. Any
individual providing food or shelter was subject
to six month imprisonment and a $1,000 fine. The
new laws created a new force of federal
commissioners empowered to pursue fugitive slaves
in any state and return them to their owners. No
statute of limitations applied, and so even those
slaves who had been free for many years could be
and were returned to the slave traders. All this
sounds like the Department of Homeland Security
and Immigration and Customs enforcement, known as I.C.E.

The Fugitive Slave Act was passed and used
against the African American community from 1865
to 1965. Jim Crow type laws were used to
completely control all aspects of African
Americans’ lives in the United States. The
Chinese Exclusion Act was also passed by Congress
in 1882 and signed into law by President Chester
A. Arthur. A ten year moratorium was passed for
the first federal law proscribed entry of an
ethnic working group on the premise that it
endangered the good order of certain localities.
In 1924 after the assassination of Zapata, Villa
and Magon and the termination of the Mexican
Revolution, the border patrol was created to
maintain the division and control of the Mexican
people. The border patrol agents were recruited
from the Arizona, California and Texas rangers.
The first wave of massive deportations occurred
between 1929 and 1939 during the depression years
under the Herbert Hoover administration when a
million were deported to Mexico. This is not
included in the history text books due to the
fact that out of the one million deported,
600,000 were Mexican Americans, legal citizens born in the United States.

This was followed by the internment of Japanese
Americans in 1942. 110,000 Japanese Americans
were sent to internment camps. Executive order
9066 was issued Feb. 19, 1942 and signed into law
by president Franklin D Roosevelt. In 1944 the
Supreme Court upheld the Constitutionality of the
Interment order. The united states census bureau
assisted the internment efforts by providing
confidential neighborhood information on Japanese
Americans. Those that were as little as 1/16
Japanese could be placed in internment camps.
Following this, and not to be out done in 1950,
President Truman’s Administration instituted
operation Wetback and deported one million two
hundred thousand Mexicans. To name the
deportation act “Wetback” was a racist
vilification of our people. The attacks on the
Mexican community continued. In 1994 after
campaigning for proposition 187 in California,
Governor Pete Wilson was reelected on the
anti-Mexican wave that was created by
proposition187. This proposition prohibited an
education for the children of undocumented
immigrants, as well as denied them of all social
services. This law was later rescinded as it was declared unconstitutional.

Proposition 187 was the new wave of repression
that was unleashed by the fascist sector in the
United States against the Mexican people. Prior
to this in 1985, California passed the English
only law that was also aimed at the Mexican
community. This English only movement was
spearheaded by the Federation of American
Immigration Reform (FAIR), an organization headed
by John Tanton - an individual known for his
anti-immigrant views. FAIR received funding in
the amount of $1.3 million from the Pioneer Fund.
This fund was established in 1937 and was based
on the Nazi philosophy of Eugenics. In 1996 the
Bill Clinton Administration picked up on the
California proposition and signed into law the
Illegal Immigration and Immigrant Responsibility
Act [IIRIRA], which did two things. It expanded
the number of deportable crimes; and made
noncitizens who were subject to removal to be
detained without being able to post bond. This
was followed by Operation Gatekeeper. Operation
Gatekeeper created the new corridors that would
eventually build the first walls on the San Diego
and Texas side, while pushing migrants to cross
through the Sonora Dessert. It is estimated that
4,000 to 12,000 migrants have lost their life
since the passing of Operation Gatekeeper.

In 2003, the Department of Homeland Security,
ICE, and the Office of Detention and Removal
(DRO) met to develop a document entitled Endgame.
Endgame is a 10-year strategic plan to pursue,
arrest and deport every undocumented person in
the country by 2012 that according to the
National Network For Immigrant and Refugee Rights
report entitled “Injustice for All: The Rise of
the U.S. Immigration Policing Regime” developed
the infrastructure for a future “Immigration
Policing Regime” and repression in the form of
Raids, Racial Profiling, 287(g) Police/ICE
collaborations, the creation of more Detention
and Deportation facilities, and the Secure Communities program.

In 2005 the U.S House of Representatives approved
the Sensenbrenner law [HR 4437] that criminalized
not only undocumented immigrants but also anyone
who offered them moral or material support. It
should be noted that Sensenbrenner had a business
investment in the Olive Branch Restaurant chains
that employed undocumented workers. Senate Bill
1070 was passed in April of 2010 by the
legislature of the state of Arizona. 1070 was
introduced by Republican state Senator Russell
Pearce. Russell Pearce has ties with Neo Nazi
organizations, and also attends rallies while
conducting speeches before many of their groups.
The main author of SB 1070 is Kris Kobach. Kobach
is a law professor at the University of
Missouri-Kansas City. Kobach also works for FAIR.
Kobach has a long history of involvement in
Kansas politics, as he was once a Republican
candidate for congress in 2004. According to
several newspaper articles, many contributions to
his campaign came from white supremacist groups.
Kobach and his cronies, all legal conspirators,
made the concept of “rational suspicion” a
standard for determining who is or isn’t an
undocumented immigrant. Let us apply this concept
to them and see where it leads us. Senate Bill
1070 violated the U.S. Constitution, the Treaty
of Guadalupe Hidalgo, [United States / Mexico
1848] and the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Alabama’s H.B 56 was passed on June 16th 2011.
Five things we should understand about this law:
H.B.56 requires police to stop anyone who they
suspect may have possibly broken a law and
inquire about their immigration status. Secondly,
the new law makes it illegal for undocumented
immigrants to enroll in or attend public
colleges. Thirdly, the new law makes it illegal
for undocumented people to apply for or solicit
work. Subsequently, this new law makes it illegal
to rent property to those who are undocumented
and lastly and perhaps most shockingly, the new
law requires employees of public schools to
determine and report approximately how many
students-children or teenagers- are undocumented,
regardless of how much proof may exist. According
to a report titled “Shattered Families” a report
from the Applied Research Center, the Obama
administration has deported 46,000 parents of
children who are U. S. citizens within the first
six months of 2011. In that same time period,
government data shows a total of 397,000
expulsions in the fiscal year 2011. This means
that “almost one in four people deported is the
parent of a United States citizen child,” said
Seth Freed Wessler, the reports chief
investigator and author. After parents are
deported, the researchers found that families
remain separated for long periods, with child
welfare agencies and juvenile courts often moving
in to terminate the parental rights of deported
immigrants. Children who don’t have other
immediate family are then put up for adoption.
The deportation of undocumented immigrants in
2011 has left 5,100 children languishing in
foster homes. The researchers concluded that
controversial federal programs such as Secure
Communities, which allows federal authorities to
screen fingerprints of those arrested by local
police in order to detect undocumented
immigrants, has turned parts of the country into
deportation hot spots “where families are being torn apart.”

All of the previously mentioned actions were
taken against people of color. As we traverse
through the door of United States history we
should be able to have a clearer picture of our
future in this country. In seeking reform we have
allowed the ultra-right wing of the Republican
Party, and the government in its totality, to
criminalize a social working class movement by
creating the term Illegal Alien. We have to
respond to the fascist alliance that has been
formed by the ultra-right wing of the Republican
Party, the Democratic Party, neo Nazis, the
KKKlan and the tea party. Let us begin to build a
movement of our people that can defend our future generations.

In conclusion, we pose this question: are the
Mexican people affected by the question of Genocide?

On December 9th 1948, Resolution 260 {III} A of
the United Nations General Assembly adopted
“Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of
the Crime of Genocide.” declared entry into force
on the 12th of January 1951, stating:

In the present Convention, genocide means any of
the following acts committed with intent to
destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic,
racial or religious group, is genocide, as such:

A) Killing members of the group
B) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group
C) Deliberately inflicting on the group
conditions of life calculated to bring about
itsphysical destruction in whole or in part;
D) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
E) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

***

M.L.N.M.