[News] Artists alter Islamophobic ads on SF buses, MUNI adds disclaimers

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 20 10:31:53 EDT 2012

  Artists alter Islamophobic ads on SF buses, MUNI adds disclaimers

Submitted by nora on Sat, 08/18/2012 - 16:15
http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora/artists-alter-islamophobic-ads-sf-buses-muni-adds-disclaimers

The original ad. (Photographer unknown)

After artists altered the ad. (Photographer unknown)

Days after shockingly racist and Islamophobic ads
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora/hate-group-places-islamophobic-advertisements-san-francisco-buses>
started appearing on city buses in San Francisco --- paid for by a
notorious anti-Muslim group led by notorious racist Pamela Geller
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/pamela-geller> --- anonymous artists
wheatpasted over the ads with an image of a hand and a stamp with the
words "HATE SPEECH."

Additionally, the San Francisco Municipal Transit Authority (SFMTA)
posted full-sized disclaimer placards on MUNI buses that carry the
Islamophobic ads. The disclaimer says that "SFMTA policy prohibits
discrimination based on national origin, religion, and other
characteristics, and condemns any statements that describe any group as
"savages."

MUNI's disclaimer, which is placed next to the racist ads.

(ABClocal.go.com <http://electronicintifada.net/people/abclocalgocom>)

As Zahra Billoo <http://electronicintifada.net/tags/zahra-billoo>, the
executive director of the San Francisco Bay Area chapter of the Council
on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said on The Electronic Intifada
podcast this week
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora/electronic-intifada-weekly-podcast-featuring-zahra-billoo-rise-islamophobia-us>,
MUNI made it clear "that they would not be removing the ads," because as
vile as the message was, "it was likely protected by the First
Amendment." However, the community has mobilized and was in talks with
MUNI and the SF Human Rights Commission to determine the impact of the
ads and how to move forward. Earlier in the week, the SFMTA announced
that the revenue from the ads would be directed to the Human Rights
Commission.

Pamela Geller and her group "thrives on lawsuits," Billoo added. "She
goes from city to city, waiting for someone to turn her down, so that
she can sue them. She's using lawsuits to essentially blackmail other
cities into submission." After New York City's transit agency rejected
the same ads, Geller filed a lawsuit and won a temporary injunction last
month when a federal judge ruled that Geller's ads were protected by the
First Amendment.

"San Francisco said, ok, we're not going to touch that with a ten-foot
pole," Billoo said. "We'll give her the ad space. And so they caved
because of the fear [of a lawsuit]."

To hear more of our important interview with Zahra Billoo, listen to our
podcast
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora/electronic-intifada-weekly-podcast-featuring-zahra-billoo-rise-islamophobia-us>.

In other news, The Gothamist reported on a new ad
<http://gothamist.com/2012/08/16/islamophobic_billboard_at_metro-nor.php> from
Pamela Geller and her Islamophobic hate group that turned up at the
Hartsdale Metro-North station in Hartsdale, New York. The poster reads,
"19,250 Deadly Islamic Attacks Since 9/11/01* (*And Counting)" and "It's
Not Islamophobia, It's Islamorealism."

Geller's new ad in New York.

(supertrampnyc <http://electronicintifada.net/people/supertrampnyc> /
The Gothamist <http://electronicintifada.net/people/gothamist>)

The Gothamist reported:

    Naturally, this upsets a local Westchester politician.

    Paul Feiner, the Greenburgh Town Supervisor, tells the Daily
    Politics that he wants the MTA "to warn passengers that the ads
    could be upsetting and don't represent Metro-North's views or that
    of the community," noting, "There are many Muslims residing in
    Greenburgh and in our villages. They should not be discriminated
    against. the posters encourage hatred, discrimination and do not
    help the efforts to fight hate crimes."

    Feiner added that he wants the MTA to donate the ad profits to an
    anti-discrimination campaign, "I feel it's not a violation of free
    speech for Metro North to put up a competing sign and it's also not
    a violation of free speech if they donate the profits to an
    anti-defamation league or an organization that objects to hate
    crimes. I feel that it should be clear that the people of Metro
    North and the town do not support this message."

    The poster is from the American Freedom Defense
    Initiative (from Pamela Geller), which complained about some Jewish
    organizations criticizing the ads, "Look how tough these Jews are
    when it comes to going after their own who are brave enough not to
    hide behind the genocidal rhetoric of the annihilators. Are we to
    understand that these liberal Jews sanction the jihad war on
    innocent civilians in Israel?