[News] The Intelligence Bureaucracy That Ate Our World

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 4 14:05:38 EDT 2012

Tomgram: Engelhardt, The Intelligence Bureaucracy That Ate Our World

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/175524/tomgram%3A_engelhardt%2C_the_intelligence_bureaucracy_that_ate_our_world/#more
Posted by Tom Engelhardt at 9:07am, April 3, 2012.

[Note for TomDispatch Readers: To catch Timothy
MacBain’s latest Tomcast audio interview in which
I reflect on the unnatural growth of the U.S.
national security state, click here, or download
it to your iPod here.  It's a subject that lies
at the heart of my new book, The United States of
Fear, a signed, personalized copy of which -- for
a contribution of $75 -- is still yours by
visiting our donation page.  My thanks to all of
you who have already given.  Your generosity keeps this website afloat! Tom]

Data Mining You
How the Intelligence Community Is Creating a New American World
By Tom Engelhardt

I was out of the country only nine days, hardly a
blink in time, but time enough, as it happened,
for another small, airless room to be added to
the American national security labyrinth.  On
March 22nd, Attorney General Eric Holder and
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper,
Jr. signed off on new guidelines allowing the
National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC), a
post-9/11 creation, to hold on to information
about Americans in no way known to be connected
to terrorism -- about you and me, that is -- for
up to five years.  (Its previous outer limit was
180 days.)  This, Clapper claimed, “will enable
NCTC to accomplish its mission more practically and effectively.”

Joseph K., that icon of single-lettered anonymity
from Franz Kafka’s novel The Trial, would
undoubtedly have felt right at home in Clapper’s
Washington.  George Orwell would surely have had
a few pungent words to say about those anodyne
words “practically and effectively,” not to speak of “mission.”

For most Americans, though, it was just life as
we’ve known it since September 11, 2001, since we
scared ourselves to death and accepted that just
about anything goes, as long as it supposedly
involves protecting us from terrorists.  Basic
information or misinformation, possibly about
you, is to be stored away for five years -- or
until some other attorney general and director of
national intelligence think it’s even more
practical and effective to keep you on file for
10 years, 20 years, or until death do us part -- and it hardly made a ripple.

If Americans were to hoist a flag designed for
this moment, it might read “Tread on Me” and use
that classic illustration of the boa constrictor
swallowing an elephant from Saint-Exupéry’s The
Little Prince.  That, at least, would catch
something of the absurdity of what the National
Security Complex has decided to swallow of our American world.

Oh, and in those nine days abroad, a new word
surfaced on my horizon, one just eerie and ugly
enough for our new reality: yottabyte.  Thank
National Security Agency (NSA) expert James
Bamford for that.  He wrote a piece for Wired
magazine on a super-secret, $2 billion,
one-million-square-foot data center the NSA is
building in Bluffdale, Utah.  Focused on data
mining and code-breaking and five times the size
of the U.S. Capitol, it is expected to house
information beyond compare, “including the
complete contents of private emails, cell phone
calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts
of personal data trails -- parking receipts,
travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital ‘pocket litter.’”

The NSA, adds Bamford, “has established listening
posts throughout the nation to collect and sift
through billions of email messages and phone
calls, whether they originate within the country
or overseas. It has created a supercomputer of
almost unimaginable speed to look for patterns
and unscramble codes. Finally, the agency has
begun building a place to store all the trillions
of words and thoughts and whispers captured in its electronic net.”

Which brings us to yottabyte -- which is, Bamford
assures us, equivalent to septillion bytes, a
number “so large that no one has yet coined a
term for the next higher magnitude.”  The Utah
center will be capable of storing a yottabyte or
more of information (on your tax dollar).

Large as it is, that mega-project in Utah is just
one of many sprouting like mushrooms in the
sunless forest of the U.S. intelligence
world.  In cost, for example, it barely tops the
$1.7 billion headquarters complex in Virginia
that the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency,
with an estimated annual black budget of at least
$5 billion, built for its 16,000
employees.  Opened in 2011, it's the
third-largest federal building in the Washington
area.  (And I’ll bet you didn’t even know that
your tax dollars paid for such an agency, no less
its gleaming new headquarters.)  Or what about
the 33 post-9/11 building complexes for
top-secret intelligence work that were under
construction or had already been built when
Washington Post reporters Dana Priest and William
Arkin wrote their “Top Secret America” series back in 2010?

In these last years, while so many Americans were
foreclosed upon or had their homes go
“underwater” and the construction industry went
to hell, the intelligence housing bubble just
continued to grow.  And there’s no sign that any
of this seems abidingly strange to most Americans.

A System That Creates Its Own Reality

To leave the country, of course, I had to briefly
surrender my shoes, hat, belt, computer -- you
know the routine -- and even then, stripped to
the basics, I had to pass through a scanner of a
sort that not so long ago caused protest and
upset but now is evidently as American as apple
pie.  Then I spent those nine days touring some
of Spain’s architectural wonders, including the
Alhambra in Granada, the Mezquita or Great Mosque
of Cordoba, and that city’s ancient synagogue
(the only one to survive the expulsion of the
Jews in 1492), as well as Antonio Gaudí’s Sagrada
Família, his vast Barcelona basilica, without
once -- in a country with its own grim history of
terror attacks -- being wanded or patted down or
questioned or even passing through a metal
detector.  Afterwards, I took a flight back to a
country whose national security architecture had
again expanded subtly in the name of “my” safety.

Now, I don’t want to overdo it.  In truth, those
new guidelines were no big deal.  The information
on -- as far as anyone knows -- innocent
Americans that the NCTC wanted to keep for those
extra 4½ years was already being held ad
infinitum by one or another of our 17 major
intelligence agencies and organizations.  So the
latest announcement seems to represent little
more than bureaucratic housecleaning, just a bit
of extra scaffolding added to the Great Mosque or
basilica of the new American intelligence
labyrinth.  It certainly was nothing to write
home about, no less trap a fictional character in.

Admittedly, since 9/11 the U.S. Intelligence
Community, as it likes to call itself, has
expanded to staggering proportions.  With those
17 outfits having a combined annual intelligence
budget of more than $80 billion (a figure which
doesn't even include all intelligence
expenditures), you could think of that community
as having carried out a statistical coup
d'état.  In fact, at a moment when America’s
enemies -- a few thousand scattered jihadis, the
odd minority insurgency, and a couple of rickety
regional powers (Iran, North Korea, and perhaps
Venezuela) -- couldn’t be less imposing, its
growth has been little short of an institutional
miracle.  By now, it has a momentum all its
own.  You might even say that it creates its own reality.

Of classic American checks and balances, we, the
taxpayers, now write the checks and they, the
officials of the National Security Complex, are
free to be as unbalanced as they want in their
actions.  Whatever you do, though, don’t mistake
Clapper, Holder, and similar figures for the
Gaudís of the new intelligence world.  Don’t
think of them as the architects of the structure
they are building.  What they preside over is
visibly a competitive bureaucratic mess of
overlapping principalities whose “mission” might
be summed up in one word: more.

In a sense -- though they would undoubtedly never
think of themselves this way -- I suspect they
are bureaucratic versions of Kafka’s Joseph K.,
trapped in a labyrinthine structure they are
continually, blindly, adding to.  And because
their “mission” has no end point, their edifice
has neither windows nor exits, and for all anyone
knows is being erected on a foundation of quicksand.

Keep calling it “intelligence” if you want, but
the monstrosity they are building is neither
intelligent nor architecturally elegant.  It is
nonetheless a system elaborating itself with
undeniable energy.  Whatever the changing cast of
characters, the structure only grows.  It no
longer seems to matter whether the figure who
officially sits atop it is a former part-owner of
a baseball team and former governor, a former
constitutional law professor, or -- looking to
possible futures -- a former corporate raider.

A Basilica of Chaos

Evidently, it’s our fate -- increasing numbers of
us anyway -- to be transformed into intelligence
data (just as we are being eternally transformed
into commercial data), our identities sliced,
diced, and passed around the labyrinth, our bytes
stored up to be “mined” at their convenience.

You might wonder: What is this basilica of chaos
that calls itself the U.S. Intelligence
Community?  Bamford describes whistleblower
William Binney, a former senior NSA
crypto-mathematician “largely responsible for
automating the agency’s worldwide eavesdropping
network,” as holding “his thumb and forefinger
close together” and saying, “We are that far from
a turnkey totalitarian state.”

It’s an understandable description for someone
who has emerged from the labyrinth, but I doubt
it’s on target.  Ours is unlikely to ever be a
Soviet-style system, even if it exhibits a
striking urge toward totality; towards, that is,
engulfing everything, including every trace
you’ve left anywhere in the world.  It’s probably
not a Soviet-style state in the making, even if
traditional legal boundaries and prohibitions
against spying upon and surveilling Americans are
of remarkably little interest to it.

Its urge is to data mine and decode the planet in
an eternal search for enemies who are imagined to
lurk everywhere, ready to strike at any
moment.  Anyone might be a terrorist or,
wittingly or not, in touch with one, even
perfectly innocent-seeming Americans whose data
must be held until the moment when the true
pattern of eneminess comes into view and everything is revealed.

In the new world of the National Security
Complex, no one can be trusted -- except the
officials working within it, who in their eternal
bureaucratic vigilance clearly consider
themselves above any law.  The system that they
are constructing (or that, perhaps, is
constructing them) has no more to do with
democracy or an American republic or the
Constitution than it does with a Soviet-style
state.  Think of it as a phenomenon for which we
have no name.  Like the yottabyte, it’s something
new under the sun, still awaiting its own strange and ugly moniker.

For now, it remains as anonymous as Joseph K. and
so, conveniently enough, continues to expand
right before our eyes, strangely unseen.

If you don’t believe me, leave the country for
nine days and just see if, in that brief span of
time, something else isn't drawn within its
orbit.  After all, it’s inexorable, this rough
beast slouching through Washington to be born.

Welcome, in the meantime, to our nameless new
world.  One thing is guaranteed: it has a byte.

Tom Engelhardt, co-founder of the American Empire
Project and the author of The American Way of
War: How Bush’s Wars Became Obama’s as well as
The End of Victory Culture, runs the Nation
Institute's TomDispatch.com. His latest book, The
United States of Fear (Haymarket Books), has just
been published.  To listen to Timothy MacBain’s
latest Tomcast audio interview in which
Engelhardt reflects on the unnatural growth of
the U.S. national security state, click here, or download it to your iPod here.

Follow TomDispatch on Twitter @TomDispatch and join us on Facebook.

Copyright 2012 Tom Engelhardt