[News] Operation Establish a Sovereign Bantustan

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 2 13:25:18 EDT 2011

Operation Establish a Sovereign Bantustan

Submitted by Jalal Abukhater on Fri, 09/02/2011 - 11:16
http://electronicintifada.net/blog/jalal-abukhater/operation-establish-sovereign-bantustan

I chose to include the term
“<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/bantustans>bantustan”
in the title because it literally describes the
desperate move the Palestinian leadership is leading Palestine into:

“But it’s no exaggeration to propose that this
idea, although well-meant by some, raises the
clearest danger to the Palestinian national
movement in its entire history, threatening to
wall Palestinian aspirations into a political
cul-de-sac from which it may never emerge. The
irony is indeed that, through this maneuver, the
PA is seizing ­ even declaring as a right ­
precisely the same dead-end formula that the
African National Congress (ANC) fought so
bitterly for decades because the ANC leadership
rightly saw it as disastrous. That formula can be
summed up in one word: Bantustan,”  wrote
<http://electronicintifada.net/blog/jalal-abukhater/node/8543>Virginia
Tilley in “Bantustans and the unilateral declaration of statehood.”

If we can’t learn from recent history, what will
we ever achieve? We are being lured into a trap
where the rights of millions of dispossessed
refugees are at risk, but who is listening?

I said it before and I am willing to say it a
thousand times more: Our struggle is not a
struggle for symbolic statehood; it is a struggle
to gain Palestinians’ basic rights! For more than
six decades we have been fighting for our
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/right-return>right
of return, our right to live in our ancestral
homeland, our right to be treated as equal
citizens, our right to live in dignity. And our
leadership is risking all of that in order to
establish a sovereign state on a tiny piece of
land of our much bigger homeland.

It was only a few months ago when I published my
first ever widely-read article on my personal
blog, which was later
<http://972mag.com/letter-to-israeli-left-choose-one-state-not-apartheid/>published
on +972 magazine. In that article, originally
titled “How do you define coexistence” and later
titled “Letter to Israeli Left: chose one state,
not apartheid,” I questioned the motives of many
Israeli anti-occupation leftist groups, and asked
them to endorse the one democratic state solution
as it is the only solution out there that could
end the struggle and guarantee justice and equality for both sides.

If I have learned anything from debating with my
Palestinian friends in the last few weeks about
the September move, it is that I should address
them, my fellow Palestinian countrymen, in the
same tone, if not harsher regarding this topic.
Let us get over talking hope, and move to
understand actions and consequences of this move.

I believe that if I was to see the West Bank and
Gaza instantaneously liberated as soon as the
United Nations recognizes us as a state, I
wouldn’t worry as much because then the
leadership would be slightly more able to sort
out bigger matters related to refugees. But the
ground reality says something else.

Quoting Ali Abunimah’s
<http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/opinion/2011/04/2011413152522296883.html>opinion
piece on Aljazeera English news site, he says:

Lebanon has been a member state of the United
Nations since 1945 and yet this did not prevent
Israel from occupying southern Lebanon from 1978
until 2000. Israel’s occupation of Lebanon ended
not because of any international pressure, but
only because the Lebanese resistance drove Israel
and its collaborating militias out. [
]
Similarly, since 1967 Israel has occupied the
Golan Heights, which belong to Syria (also a UN
member since 1945). There has been virtually no
armed resistance on the Golan Heights nor has
there been any international pressure for Israel
to withdraw or for Syrian refugees to return to
their homes. [
] Why would the situation in the
“State of Palestine” be any different?

Legal perspective

Besides the fact on the ground in the West Bank
that the Israeli occupation is going nowhere
after 20 September, our leadership insists that
this is the time to declare statehood ignoring
many consequences of this action. The Palestinian
delegation to the United Nations has been warned
that the September move risks the rights of all
diaspora and 1948 Palestinians as it officially
“<http://maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=415804>terminates
the legal status held by the PLO in the UN since
1975 that it is the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.”

In his seven-page
<https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/238962-final-pdf-plo-statehood-opinionr-arb.html>legal
document, Guy Goodwin-Gill, a professor of
international law at Oxford University, sheds
light on the legal risks behind the recognition
of the Palestinian state. He said that millions
of Palestinian refugees are at risk of losing
their representation at the UN if the bid succeeds. He concludes:

“In my opinion, current moves to secure
recognition of statehood do not appear to reflect
fully the role of the Palestinian people as a
principle party in the resolution of the
situation in the Middle East. The interests of
the Palestinian people are at risk of prejudice
and fragmentation, unless steps are taken to
ensure and maintain their representation through
the Palestinian Liberation Organization, until
such time as there is in place a State competent
and fully able to assume these responsibilities towards the people at large.”

It is worth mentioning too that Guy Goodwin-Gill
is a
<http://maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=415804>member
of the team that won the 2004 non-binding
judgment by the International Court of Justice
that the route of
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/israels-wall-west-bank>Israel’s
wall was illegal.

Meanwhile, the Boycott National Committee has
issued
<http://www.bdsmovement.net/2011/bnc-reiterates-its-position-on-september-7794>its
own statement warning of harsh consequences to the UN statehood bid.

Bad move

Many non-Palestinian activists, rights groups,
politicians, and lawyers are voicing their
concerns, but not all are able to protest the
Palestinian leadership’s decision because it is
an exclusively Palestinian matter. Unfortunately,
not many Palestinians are fully aware of the
risks, and currently over 6.5 million
Palestinians in the diaspora are going to face
the consequences of an action taken by someone
they didn’t vote for or agree that he speaks for
them. The UN move for the state is an action a
low percentage of Palestinians agree upon, but
unfortunately it is going to be forced upon them.

The Palestinian leadership in Ramallah is fully
aware of the consequences of this move, but
personally I feel that their action is coming
from anger towards the failing peace process that
they went into for decades. This anger is pushing
them for an irrational move, anything that they’d
be able to claim as a success of their own,
ignoring consequences. This move aims to separate
and break the bond between Palestinians all over
the world, the Palestinian leadership should know
better and seek a solution that guarantees the
rights of all the Palestinians they “represent.”

Security Council Veto

Whenever you talk about the September bid for the
state, you hear Veto. Everyone is almost certain
that the United States will use its veto power to
halt any unilateral attempt seeking a declaration
of a Palestinian state on
<http://electronicintifada.net/tags/1967-lines>1967
lines; some say the Palestinian UN delegation
will seek other routes to bypass the Security
Council, and others say it will be the end of the road.

Most Palestinians I meet claim that the move for
the state in the United Nations is a win-win
situation. If we succeed, we get our state. If we
don’t succeed, we’d avoid the consequences of
having succeeded and we can seek another
solution. It is irrational, I know. But those
Palestinians are ready and will gladly accept any
outcome from the September move.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu opposes
the Palestinian move because he benefits when he
maintains control over all of the illegal
settlements in the West Bank. He wants to
maintain control over all strategic areas and
water wells and springs. He aims to maintain our
status quo living in many separate, open air
prisons across the West Bank. But, in my opinion,
I believe there is no reason US President Barack
Obama would oppose the move for two states.

Personally, I doubt the United States will use
its veto power. The United States is able to put
an end to 64 years of continuous struggle and
favor the Zionist end of the equation in this
solution. Of course, having said this, putting an
end to our struggle in this way will harm us a lot as I have argued earlier.

The two-state solution will cause fragmentation
of the Palestinian people, more separation
between those in the West Bank and Gaza, those in
Israel, and those living in the diaspora. It will
forcibly take away the rights of millions.