[News] Isolation of Sa'adat continued - Call from Occupied Palestine to the Occupy Movement

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 28 10:06:56 EDT 2011

<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/1027takeaction.html>Take<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/1027takeaction.html>
Action - Isolation of Ahmad Sa'adat continued in violation of promise
to prisoners

<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/1027takeaction.html>A Call from Occupied
Palestine to the Occupy Movement

  <http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/>The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat
www.freeahmadsaadat.org + info at freeahmadsaadat.org
Twitter:<http://twitter.com/freeahmadsaadat>http://twitter.com/freeahmadsaadat

October 27, 2011

Only one week after promising Palestinian political prisoners that
isolation would end and that all prisoners in isolation would be
returned to the general population, in order to convince those
prisoners to end their hunger strike, Israeli authorities have
announced their intention to continue the isolation of Ahmad Sa'adat
for at least one more year.

As reported by the Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights
Association, an Israeli court in Bir Saba issued a ruling on October
27, 2011 to extend the isolation of Ahmad Sa'adat for an additional
year. Ahmad Sa'adat has already been held in isolation for over two
and one-half years. His release from isolation was a key demand of
Palestinian prisoners' recent hunger strike - and was promised to
them one week ago.

The ruling, which was based on secret evidence like all such rulings,
dates back to August 8 but was not released until today; Ahmad
Sa'adat was not accompanied by lawyers in the hearing.

<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/oct18hospital.html>The prison
administration had promised to end isolation following Palestinian
prisoners' hunger strike. This decision is tantamount to torture -
and a direct violation of the agreement with Palestinian prisoners to
end their hunger strike, which had drawn the eyes of the world to
their struggle.

20 Palestinian prisoners remain in isolation, despite the strike's
suspension on October 17. Israel had promised that they would be
released from isolation immediately following the release of 477
prisoners in a prisoner exchange agreement - however, Israel's prison
administration has acted in complete violation of its word.

On October 18, UN Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan Mendez called in
the UN General Assembly for all use of isolation longer than 15 days
to be banned, saying that isolation can cause "severe mental pain or
suffering" and "can amount to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading
treatment or punishment when used as a punishment, during pre-trial
detention, indefinitely or for a prolonged period...Segregation,
isolation, separation, cellular, lockdown, supermax, the hole, secure
housing unit... whatever the name, solitary confinement should be
banned by states as a punishment or extortion technique."

The punishment, isolation and extortion of Ahmad Sa'adat for his
ongoing courage and commitment as a leader of Palestinian prisoners
and the Palestinian people must end. International action and
solidarity is necessary!

The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat reprints the following call
received from activists in Palestine:

A Call from Occupied Palestine to the Occupy Movement - From occupied
Palestine, from our occupied lands, from our camps of refuge, from
the prisons of torture and the prisoners of freedom, from our stolen
lands, our chained borders, our demolished homes and our revolution,
our commitment, our struggle for freedom:

For us, the word occupation has always stood for colonialism, land
theft, genocide, dispossession, and death. It is a word and a concept
we have fought to bring to an end for over sixty years. Yet the
Occupy movement that has arisen in public squares, in cities and
towns around the world, from the centre of imperialism in the US,
Wall Street itself, is an occupation that can serve as a source of
hope for liberation, for decolonization, for an end to the racist
occupation of our homeland.

Seeing the youth of the West in the streets rejecting the brutal
consequences of the system of imperialism and capitalism once more,
we salute you, we stand with you, and we call: "Occupy Wall Street,
Liberate Palestine!"

Our political prisoners stood steadfast through three weeks of hunger
strike and have today been confronted by yet one more lie, another
broken promise on the heap of lies and broken promises of the
occupier - rather than our prisoners being freed from isolation, they
are remaining in isolation. Ahmad Sa'adat, Palestinian national
leader, having already spent two and a half years in solitary
confinement, is slapped with yet one more year.

We call upon you to make it clear that despite solitary confinement,
Ahmad Sa'adat and the Palestinian prisoners are not isolated, and are
part of a global movement and global solidarity. We call upon you to
raise the voices, the pictures, and the stories of Palestinian
political prisoners at Occupy Wall Street and all Occupy movement
events. We, the Palestinian people are also the 99%, those victimized
by war profiteers, by racism, by imperialism, by displacement and
genocide. Our thousands of prisoners remain in the prisons of the
illegal, illegitimate occupier.

Raise their voices among yours, and stand together for the liberation
of Wall Street, Palestine, and all of our oppressed and stolen land and people!

Take Action!

1. Picket, protest or call
<http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/About+the+Ministry/Diplomatic+missions/Web+Sites+of+Israeli+Missions+Abroad.htm>the
Israeli embassy or consulate in your location and demand the
immediate freedom of Ahmad Sa'adat and all Palestinian political
prisoners. Make it clear that you expect the demands of Palestinian
prisoners on hunger strike to be immediately implemented, including
an immediate end to the isolation of Ahmad Sa'adat!  Send us reports
of your protests at Israeli embassies and consulates.

2. Bring the struggle of Palestinian prisoners to Occupy protests, as
will happen in New York City on Friday, October 28
(<http://www.existenceisresistance.org/archives/1176>Existence is
Resistance Kuffeya Day) and has happened in
<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/ijan107.html>New York, Chicago and San
Francisco. Download and distribute
the<http://freeahmadsaadat.org/flyer-as.pdf>flyer, hold a rally or
teach-in and express solidarity.

3. Distribute the <http://freeahmadsaadat.org/flyer-as.pdf>free
downloadable Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat flyer in your community
at local events.

4. Write to the International Committee of the Red Cross and other
human rights organizations to exercise their responsibilities and act
swiftly to demand that the prisoners' demands are implemented. Email
the ICRC, whose humanitarian mission includes monitoring the
conditions of prisoners, at
<mailto:JER_jerusalem at icrc.org>JER_jerusalem at icrc.org, and inform
them about the urgent situation of Ahmad Sa'adat. Make it clear that
isolation is a human rights violation, a form of torture, and that
Palestinian prisoners were coerced into stopping their hunger strike
with false promises of the recognition of their rights, and that the
ICRC must stand up and play its role to defend prisoners' rights.

5. Email the Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat at
<mailto:info at freeahmadsaadat.org>info at freeahmadsaadat.org with
announcements, reports and information about your local events,
activities and flyer distributions.
The Campaign to Free Ahmad Sa'adat

<http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/>http://www.freeahmadsaadat.org/

<mailto:info at freeahmadsaadat.org>info at freeahmadsaadat.org