[News] To Occupy And Unoccupy

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Oct 12 11:34:23 EDT 2011

To Occupy And Unoccupy

Posted on
<http://nothingtobegainedhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/to-occupy-and-unoccupy/>October
7, 2011
http://nothingtobegainedhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/to-occupy-and-unoccupy/

“This is a war that’s been going on since the invasion of North America.”
- Rev. Pedro Pietri

With the ongoing Occupation movement on Wall
Street and the growing occupation movements going
on around the US, this is just a reminder that
some of us have been dealing with occupation for
centuries now. Although we support the ideas
behind Occupy Wall Street and the other
Occupation movements we want those who have
chosen to use the terminology of “Occupation” to
be aware of the hidden and unrecognized history
behind that word when it comes to non-white peoples.

Those of us who are not white have had to deal
with this “occupation” in one form or another
since 1492 when Columbus “discovered” America,
for himself. That discovery opened the door for
other European nations hell-bent, fighting and
tripping over themselves to colonize, rape,
plunder and enrich themselves at the expense of
indigenous peoples. From the genocide of the
native populations in the Caribbean, North,
Central and South America that this “occupation”
brought to us over 500 years ago to the holocaust
of the trans-Atlantic African slave trade and
subsequent rampant colonization of Africa. The
story of the occupation of indigenous lands
doesn’t just end with wholesale murder but
continues today in new forms of violence. The
eradication of native peoples language, culture
and history is the new “occupation”. With the
success of the forced occupation of native
peoples land, the only thing left to occupy is
the minds of those who managed to survive

The greatest misconception that white people have
is that only non-whites have to deal with racism.
What whites have failed to realize is that racism
is only the frosting on the cake of class
warfare. What is done to non-whites under the
guise of racism is a test run for what they will
eventually do to you. The irony of the situation
is that we non-whites who have been dealing with
this “occupation” for over five centuries were
the canary in the coal mine. But you refused to
see the graffiti on the wall. Now that you have
lost your homes to banks and your livelihoods to
unemployment and your once bright white futures
have been painted black, (pun intended) and you
are beginning to feel what we have lived with for more than half an eon.

If you ever wonder why more people of color
haven’t yet swelled your “occupation” ranks it
may be because historically, once you have what
you want, you’ll go back to occupying the
comfortable role of white privilege that led you
to believe that racism was different from
classism. What you are experiencing is old hat
for us, the forced removal from your homes, the
inability to find work that pays a living wage,
the police brutality, frivolous arrests, and your
adventures with the justice shitstem, even your
homeless encampment are just a few of the things
we have lived with for longer than you would care
to imagine. We have lived with a knowledge of
things that you are now, only beginning to realize.

This is a warning to you that your “Occupy
”
movement will fail unless you reach out to those
who have a lot more experience with “occupation”
than you ever will have. Let me reiterate that
people of color support your ideas in striking
back at this ongoing class warfare but this
movement will fail if it doesn’t realize that
this didn’t begin with the collapse of the
financial shitstem in 2008
 it began long, long,
long, before then. Unless you begin to deal with
the roots of this occupation that began 500 years
ago you’re current occupation will fail.

This is also an invitation for you to open up
your dialogue to non-whites who have been at the
frontlines of this “occupation” and have suffered
the most casualties because of it. If you want to
succeed in creating a more egalitarian society
then it would behoove you to reach out to the
ones who have suffered the most inequality.
Otherwise you risk becoming the very same
occupation that we have come to hate, and that
you are only beginning to feel, and you risk changing nothing.

To Occupy And Unoccupy
<http://twitter.com/search?q=%23nothingtobegainedhere>#nothingtobegainedhere
<http://twitter.com/search?q=%23ows>#ows
<http://nothingtobegainedhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/to-occupy-and-unoccupy/>nothingtobegainedhere.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/to-

<http://twitter.com/#%21/vgbnd/status/122434505859547136>October
7, 2011 6:13 pm via
web<https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=122434505859547136&related=vgbnd>Reply<https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=122434505859547136&related=vgbnd>Retweet<https://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=122434505859547136&related=vgbnd>Favorite

As a side note:
<http://ricanstructed.spreadshirt.com/>RICANSTRUCTED
is a design company dedicated to the unoccupation
of Puerto Rico from US colonial rule. If you like
the UNOCCUPY PUERTO RICO design you can get it on a T-shirt  or a Hoodie.