[News] Ricardo Alarcon de Quesada: For Lenny

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 24 17:24:36 EDT 2011

For Lenny
By Ricardo Alarcon de Quesada

On the afternoon of March 23rd, the same day he
would have turned 78 years of age, Leonard Wineglass’s heart ceased to beat.

He had been a victim of a cruel illness and since
January of this year he had entered into a
critical and especially painful stage of health,
despite this, he did not distance himself for an
instant from his work. During the last months of
life, heroically combating both the illness and
physical pain he dedicated himself with body and
soul to the preparation and presentation of the
habeas Corpus in favor of Gerardo Hernandez and
Antonio Guerrero, without neglecting the work on behalf of other comrades.

Shortly before entering the hospital where he was
to undergo surgery, he took the final steps in
the appeals process of Gerardo and Antonio and
delegated to other colleagues what they should do
while he was undergoing treatment. Only then did
he accept the ordeal of taking care of himself.

He was always like that. In his youth he began
working in the law offices of Victor Rabinowitz
and Leonard Boudin, where he fought countless
legal battles in favor of workers unions, civil
liberties and justice in the United States. With
his brilliant defense in 1968 of the Chicago 8,
Lenny began an endless and admirable career as a
defense attorney representing Jane Fonda, Daniel
Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers, Angela Davis,
Mumia Abu Jamal, Amy Carter, Kathy Boudin and
many more to include the Cuban Five and more
recently collaborating with the defense team of
Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks. The
history of the struggles of the American people
can not be written without mentioning on every
page, the name Leonard Weinglass.

Now and always we shall owe him our homage and gratitude.

Losing Lenny is a great blow to Gerardo, Ramon,
Antonio, Fernando and René. He had been their
best and most relentless defender, he dedicated
all of his energies and his talent to their
cause, and for them he fought to the end in the
midsts of pain and agony, to his last breath.

The struggle for the freedom of the Cuban Five
must continue, now under even harder
circumstances, without Lenny. We must all
multiply our commitment until our brothers are
free. We must do so without intermission or rest.
It is the least we can promise this resolute,
self sacrificial and lucid man, who will for ever
be our beloved comrade Leonard Weinglass.