[News] Revealed: the untold story of the deal that shocked the Middle East

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jun 8 10:52:32 EDT 2011

Revealed: the untold story of the deal that shocked the Middle East

Exclusive by Robert Fisk
Tuesday, 7 June 2011
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/revealed-the-untold-story-of-the-deal-that-shocked-the-middle-east-2293879.html

Secret meetings between Palestinian
intermediaries, Egyptian intelligence officials,
the Turkish foreign minister, Palestinian
President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas leader Khaled
Meshaal – the latter requiring a covert journey
to Damascus with a detour round the rebellious
city of Deraa – brought about the Palestinian
unity which has so disturbed both Israelis and
the American government. Fatah and Hamas ended
four years of conflict in May with an agreement
that is crucial to the Paslestinian demand for a state.

A series of detailed letters, accepted by all
sides, of which The Independent has copies, show
just how complex the negotiations were; Hamas
also sought – and received – the support of
Syrian President Bachar al-Assad, the country’s
vice president Farouk al-Sharaa and its foreign
minister, Walid Moallem. Among the results was an
agreement by Meshaal to end Hamas rocket attacks
on Israel from Gaza – since resistance would be
the right only of the state – and agreement that
a future Palestinian state be based on Israel’s 1967 borders.

“Without the goodwill of all sides, the help of
the Egyptians and the acceptance of the Syrians –
and the desire of the Palestinians to unite after
the start of the Arab Spring, we could not have
done this,” one of the principal intermediaries,
75-year old Munib Masri, told me. It was Masri
who helped to set up a ‘Palestinian Forum’ of
independents after the Fatah-dominated
Palestinian Authority and Hamas originally split
after Hamas won an extraordinary election victory
in 2006. “I thought the divisions that had opened
up could be a catastrophe and we went for four
years back and forth between the various
parties,” Masri said. “Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas)
asked me several times to mediate. We opened
meetings in the West Bank. We had people from
Gaza. Everyone participated. We had a lot of capability.”

In three years, members of the Palestinian Forum
made more than 12 trips to Damascus, Cairo, Gaza
and Europe and a lot of initiatives were
rejected. Masri and his colleagues dealt directly
with Hamas’ Prime Minister Hanniyeh in Gaza. They
took up the so-called ‘prisoner swap initiative’
of Marwan Barghouti, a senior Fatah leader in an
Israeli jail; then in the winds of the
revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt, the youth of
Palestine on 15 March demanded unity and an end
to the rivalry of Fatah and Hamas. Israeli prime
minister Benjamin Netanyahu had always refused to
talk to Abbas on the grounds that the
Palestinians were not united. On the 16th, he
made a speech saying that he was “thinking of
going to Gaza”. Masri, who was present, stood on a chair and clapped.

“I thought Hamas would answer in a positive way,”
he recalls. “But in the first two or three days
after Abbas’ speech, it gave a rather negative
response. He had wanted an immediate election and
no dialogue. Hamas did not appreciate this.”
Abbas went off to Paris and Moscow – to sulk, in
the eyes of some of his associates. But the Forum did not give up.

“We wrote a document – we said we would go to see
the Egyptians, to congratulate them upon their
revolution. So we had two meetings with the
Egyptian head of intelligence, Khaled Orabi –
Orabi’s father was an army general at the time of
King Farouk – and we met Mohamed Ibrahim, an
officer in the intelligence department.”
Ibrahim’s father had won renown in the 1973 war
when he captured the highest ranking Israeli
officer in Sinai. The delegation also met
Ibrahim’s deputies, Nadr Aser and Yassir Azawi.

Seven people from each part of Palestine were to
represent the team in Cairo. These are the names
which will be in future Palestinian history
books. From the West Bank, came Dr Hanna Nasser
(head of Bir Zeit University and of the
Palestinian central election committee); Dr
Mamdouh Aker (the head of the human rights
society); Mahdi Abdul-Hadi (chairman of a
political society in Jerusalem); Hanni Masri (a
political analyst); Iyad Masrouji (businessman in
pharmacuticals); Hazem Quasmeh (runs an NGO) and Munib Masri himself.

The Gaza ‘side’ were represented by Eyad Sarraj
(who in the event could not go to Cairo because
he was ill); Maamoun Abu Shahla (member of the
board of Palestine Bank); Faysal Shawa
(businessman and landowner); Mohsen Abu Ramadan
(writer); Rajah Sourani (head of Arab human
rights, who did not go to Cairo); ‘Abu Hassan’
(Islamic Jihad member who was sent by Sarraj);
and Sharhabil Al-Zaim (a Gaza lawyer).

“These men spent time with the top brass of the
Egyptian ‘mukhabarat’ intelligence service,”
Masri recalls. “We met them on 10 April but we
sent a document before we arrived in Cairo. This
is what made it important. In Gaza, there were
two different ‘sides’. So we talked about the
micro-situation, about Gazans in the ‘jail’ of
Gaza, we talked about human rights, the Egyptian
blockade, about dignity. Shawa was saying ‘we
feel we do not have dignity – and we feel it’s
your fault.’ Nadr Asr of the intelligence
department said: ‘We’re going to change all that.’

“At 7.0 pm, we came back and saw Khaled Orabi
again. I told him: ‘Look, I need these things
from you. Do you like the new initiative, a
package that’s a win-win situation for everyone?
Is the Palestinian file still ‘warm’ in Cairo? He
said ‘It’s a bit long – but we like it. Can you
pressure both Fatah and Hamas, to bring them in?
But we will work with you. Go and see Fatah and
Hamas – and treat this as confidential.’ We
agreed, and went to see Amr Moussa (now a
post-revolution Egyptian presidential candidate)
at the Arab League. He was at first very cautious
– but the next day, Amr Moussa’s team was very
positive. We said: ‘Give it a chance – we said
that the Arab League was created for Palestine,
that the Arab League has a big role in Jerusalem’.”

The delegation went to see Nabil al-Arabi at the
Egyptian foreign ministry. “Al-Arabi said: ‘Can I
bring in the foreign minister of Turkey, who
happens to be in Egypt?’ So we all talkled about
the initiative together. We noticed the close
relationship between the foreign ministry and the
intelligence ministry. That’s how I found out
that ‘new’ Egypt had a lot of confidence – they
were talking in front of Turkey; they wanted
(italics: wanted) to talk in front of Turkey. So
we agreed we would all talk together and then I
returned with the others to Amman at 9.0 pm.”

The team went to the West Bank to report – “we
were happy, we never had this feeling before” –
and tell Azzam Ahmed (Fatah’s head of
reconciliation) that they intended to support
Mahmoud Abbas’s initiative over Gaza. “We had
seven big meetings in Palestine to put all the
groups there and the independents in the picture.
Abbas had already given us a presidential decree.
I spoke to Khaled Meshaal (head of Hamas, living
in Damascus) by phone. He said: ‘Does Abu Mazzen
(Abbas) agree to this?’ I said that wasn’t the
point. I went to Damascus next day with Hanna
Nasser, Mahdi Abdul Hadi and Hanni Masri. Because
of all the trouble in Syria, we had to make a
detour around Deraa. I had a good rapport with
Meshaal. He said he had read our document – and that it was worth looking at.”

It was a sign of the mutual distrust between
Hamas and Abbas that they both seemed intent on
knowing the other’s reaction to the initiative
before making up their own minds. “Meshaal said
to me: ‘What did Abu Mazzen (Abbas) say?’ I
laughed and replied: ‘You always ask me this –
but what do you (italics: you) want? We met with
Meshaal’s colleagues, Abu Marzouk, Izzat Rishiq
and Abu Abdu Rahman. We reviewed the document for
six and a half hours. The only thing we didn’t
get from Meshaal was that the government has to
be by agreement. We told him the government has
to be of natiuonal unity -- on the agreement that
we would be able to carry out elections and lift
the embargo on Gaza and reconstruct Gaza, that we
have to abide by international law, by the UN
Charter and UN resolutions. He asked for three or
four days. He agreed that resistance must only be
‘in the national interest of the country’ – it
would have to be ‘aqlaqi’ – ethical. There would
be no more rocket attacks on civilians. In other
words, no more rocket attacks from Gaza.”

Meshaal told Masri and his friends that he had
seen President Bashar Assad of Syria, his vice
president Sharaa and Syrian foreign minister
Moallem. “He said he wanted their support – but
in the end it was the word of the Palestinian
people. We were very happy – we said ‘there is a
small breakthrough’. Meshaal said: ‘We won’t let
you down.’ We said we would communicate all this
to Fatah and the independents on the West Bank
and to the Egyptians. In the West Bank, Fatah
called it the ‘Hamas initiative’ -- but we said
no, it is from everybody. After two days, Meshaal
said he had spoken to Egyptian intelligence and
they like what we have offered.”

The talks had been successful. Meshaal was
persuaded to send two of his top men to Cairo.
Masri’s team hoped that Abbas would do the same.
Four men – two from each side – travelled to
Egypt on 22 April. A year earlier, when there was
a familiar impasse between the two sides in
Egypt, the Moubarak regime tried to place further
obstacles between them. Meshaal had fruitlessly
met with Omar Sulieman – Mubarak’s intelligence
factotum and Israel’s best friend in the Arab
world – in Mecca. Sulieman effectively worked for
the Israelis. Now all had changed utterly.

On the day Abbas and Meshaal went to Cairo,
everyone went except the two rival prime
ministers, Fayad and Hanniyeh. Hamas agreed that
over the past four years, the Israelis had seized
more of Jerusalem and built many more settlements
in the occupied West Bank. Meshaal was angry when
he thought he would not be allowed to speak from
the podium with the others – in the event, he was
– and Hamas agreed on the 1967 border,
effectively acknowledging Israel’s existence, and
to the reference to the ‘resistance’; and to give
Abbas more time for negotiation.

If Hamas was in the government, it would have to
recognise the State of Israel. But if they were
not, they would not recognise anything. “It’s not
fair to say ‘Hamas must do the following’, Masri
says. “The resistance must also be reciprocal.
But as long as they are not in the Palestinian
government, Hamas are just a political party and
can say anything they want. So America should be
prepared to see Hamas ageeeing on the formation
of the government. That government will abide by
UN resolutions – and international law. It’s got
to be mutual. Both sides realised they might miss
the boat of the Arab spring. It wasn’t me who did
this – it was a compilation of many efforts. If
it was not for Egypt and the willingness of the
two Palestinian groups, this would not have
happened.” In the aftermath of the agreement,
Hamas and Abbas’ loyalists agreed to stop arresting members of each side.

The secret story of Palestinian unity is now
revealed. Israeli prime minister Netanyahu’s
reaction to the news – having originally refused
to negotiate with Palestinians because they were
divided – was to say that he would not talk to
Abbas if Hamas came into the Palestinian
government. President Obama virtually dismissed
the Palestinian unity initiative. But 1967
borders means that Hamas is accepting Israel and
the ‘resistance’ initiative means an end to Gaza
rockets on Israel. International law and UN
resolutions mean peace can be completed and a
Palestinian state brought into being. That, at
least, is the opinion of both Palestinian sides.
The world will wait to see if Israel will reject it all again.

Profile: Munib Masri

* The Masri family have been in the Palestinian
resistance all their lives. As a small boy Munib
Rashid Masri, from a respected family of
Palestinian merchants, was demonstrating against
British rule in Palestine and plans for the creation of Israel.

* Three of his children fought with Arafat's PLO
in southern Lebanon during the 1982 Israeli
invasion. "All our family believe it is our job
to bring Palestine back," he says. "I gave all my life to Palestine."

* He was introduced to Yasser Arafat in 1963 by
the PLO leader's deputy, Abu Jihad – Khalil
al-Wazzir, later murdered by the Israelis in
Tunis – and helped to smuggle money and passports
to the guerrillas, but got on well with King Hussain of Jordan.

* With Arafat's permission, he briefly became
Jordan's unpaid Minister of Public Works after
the collapse of Palestinian forces in Black
September in 1970; he rebuilt one of the largest
Palestinian refugee camps in Jordan when the
fighting ended. Much later, he would three times
refuse to be Arafat's prime minister.

* After the Oslo accords were signed in 1993,
Masri encouraged 15 Palestinian business people –
he was one of them – to set up a $200m company called Padico.

* The investment company is now valued at $1.5bn,
running telecoms, tourism and a stock market,
responsible for the wellbeing of 27 per cent of
the Palestinian economy – and 450,000 Palestinians.

Q & A: The events that led to the historic handshake

Q: How did the split come about? The rift between
Fatah and Hamas, known among Palestinians as
"Wakseh", meaning ruin or humiliation, emerged
when Hamas won a sweeping majority in the 2006
elections. Hamas ran on a change-and- reform
ticket and had garnered broad support through its
social programmes. Anger with corruption within
Fatah, and frustration with President Mahmoud
Abbas's lack of progress on the peace process
helped propel them to victory. The election
result stunned US and Israeli officials, who had
repeatedly said they would not work with a
Palestinian Authority which included Hamas, and
led to sanctions and a Western-led boycott.
Security forces, still under Fatah's control,
refused to take orders from the government and
the US continued to fund Fatah. In 2007, the two
sides briefly formed a unity government but it
collapsed as masked gunmen took to the streets of
Gaza. A state of emergency was announced and
President Abbas dismissed Hamas's Ismail Hanniyeh
as Prime Minister, swearing in a new emergency
cabinet in the West Bank. Hamas seized control of
Gaza, while Fatah held on to the West Bank,
leaving a de facto split as both sides traded
accusations about the legality of each other's rule.

Q: What was the impact of the rift on the peace
process? The split between Hamas and Fatah
effectively stalled the peace process, with
Israel refusing to negotiate with a divided
Palestinian leadership, which was forced to focus
on putting its own house in order. However, with
both sides reunited the prospect for peace is not
necessarily more positive. The "Palestinian
Papers", diplomatic cables leaked to Al Jazeera
in January, showed Mr Abbas had offered
far-reaching concessions during talks with Ehud
Olmert's government, but to no avail. It is
unlikely concessions so favourable to Israel will
make it to the negotiating room again if Hamas
has a seat at the table. Israeli Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu, who had used the rift as a
reason not to negotiate, now says he will not
speak to Mr Abbas if Hamas is included in the Palestinian government.

Q: What were the details of the agreement? In
Gaza, dozens took to the streets to celebrate the
Egyptian-brokered pact, signed on 4 May, which
brought an end to four years of bitter rivalry.
Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal said he was ready to
"pay any price" to reconcile the factions. The
deal envisaged a caretaker government with the
task of preparing for parliamentary and
presidential elections. Egypt has set up a
committee to oversee the deal, but the unity
government has a rocky road ahead, with potential
pitfalls over how to integrate Hamas's military
wing into the security services. For years, Egypt
sponsored reconciliatory talks in Cairo – but to
no avail. It was the renewed vigour of the Arab
Spring that finally led to the historic handshake.Loveday Morris