[News] Following boarding and arrests, Canada boat demands end to Greek interference

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 5 17:02:58 EDT 2011

http://electronicintifada.net/blog/benjamin-doherty/following-boarding-and-arrests-canada-boat-demands-end-greek-interference

Following boarding and arrests, Canada boat demands end to Greek interference

Submitted by Benjamin Doherty on Tue, 07/05/2011 - 14:49

Yesterday Canadian activists attempted to leave Greece and sail for
Gaza, but
<http://electronicintifada.net/blog/ali-abunimah/canadian-boat-forced-back-shore-after-attempt-sail-gaza-report-and-pictures>their
boat was boarded and commandeered by Greek coast guards. Today, the
activists on board the Tahrir issued a statement to explain their
current situation and the action they want Canadians and other
supporters to take.

English

July 5, 2011 - 3:00PM EDT
Free the Tahrir, Free the Flotilla, Free Gaza

Update

The steering committee members aboard the Tahrir, remain in Crete
after being boarded, commandeered, and towed back to port against our
will. Today our steadfast resolve won two important victories: we
were allowed to leave the Tahrir without threat of arrest of us or
any of the other delegates on board; and Soha Kneen, Michael Coleman
and Sandra Rush were released from custody with a promise to appear
in front of a judge tomorrow.

We remain concerned about the fate of Sandra Rush and the charges she
may face. As for Soha Kneen, Michael Coleman, expectation is that
they will not get more than a suspended sentence.

On the positive side we have been informed that charges against the
captain of the US boat that tried to sail a few days ago and was also
obstructed and returned to shore have been dropped.

We remain concerned and demand:

    * an end to interference by Greek authorities with our vessel and
the flotilla;
    * that Greek authorities fix the damage they did to the Tahrir.
The ship was damaged by Greek forces on the way back to port after
being boarded. This is outrageous and the vessel should be repaired
without delay at the expense of Greek authorities;
    * that Greece allow The Tahrir to relocate to a safe port of our
choosing. The Greek authorities want to move the boat to a different
location. We assert our right to move the ship with a local captain
of our choosing, rather than Greek authorities commandeering our ship again;
    * dropping all charges against the three organizers with the
Canadian boat to Gaza; and
    * that Greece stop enforcing Israel's illegal blockade of Gaza
and allow the flotilla to complete its mission.

Actions: Here in Canada we must also keep up the pressure

    * We ask people to write MPs and Canadian Ambassador in Greece
calling on the Embassy to meet its Consular obligations with regards
to all Canadians on the Tahrir. Tell them that the obligations are
clearly established in international law and, more specifically,
under the terms of the
<http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/instruments/english/conventions/9_2_1963.pdf>Vienna
Convention on Consular Relations, to which Canada is a signatory.
    * Keep up local actions, which might include vigils,
demonstrations at consulates or embassies, or other creative actions
aimed at drawing public attention to the situation.
    * Continue tweeting and using social networking to spread
messages and images far and wide.