[News] President Aristide Is Ready To Return To Haiti

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 20 10:30:21 EST 2011

The Black Commentator: An independent weekly internet magazine

Jan 20, 2011 - Issue 410

President Aristide Is Ready To Return To Haiti
Former President Sends Email Message to BC

I would like to thank the government and the people of South Africa
for the historic hospitality, deeply rooted in Ubuntu, extended to my
family and I.

Since my forced arrival in the Mother Continent six and a half years
ago, the people of Haiti have never stopped calling for my return to
Haiti .  Despite the enormous challenges that they face in the
aftermath of the deadly January 12, 2010 earthquake, their
determination to make the return happen has increased.

As far as I am concerned, I am ready.  Once again I express my
readiness to leave today, tomorrow, at any time.  The purpose is very
clear: To contribute to serving my Haitian sisters and brothers as a
simple citizen in the field of education.

The return is indispensable, too, for medical reasons: It is strongly
recommended that I not spend the coming winter in South Africa 's
because in 6 years I have undergone 6 eye surgeries. The surgeons are
excellent and very well skilled, but the unbearable pain experienced
in the winter must be avoided in order to reduce any risk of further
complications and blindness.

So, to all those asking me to return home, I reiterate my willingness
to leave today, tomorrow, at any time.  Let us hope that the Haitian
and South African governments will enter into communication in order
to make that happen in the next coming days.

United to the Haitian people, once again my family and I express our
sincere gratitude to the government and the people of South Africa.