[News] War-crimes charges to be filed 50 years after Lumumba's assassination

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 17 14:11:35 EST 2011

War-crimes charges to be filed 50 years after Lumumba's assassination
(Today marks the day - 2 articles Follow)

By Slobodan Lekic (CP) – 1 hour ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hn0EN_X4MvLPcrP3waKo9amJzm2w?docId=5674221

BRUSSELS ­ Activists plan to file a civil suit
alleging war crimes by a dozen former Belgian
officials they say participated in the
assassination of Congolese prime minister Patrice
Lumumba 50 years ago, a Brussels lawyer who heads the legal team said Monday.

Lumumba headed Congo's largest political party
and was elected prime minister when Belgium
granted independence to the country on June 30,
1960, after almost a century of colonial rule.
Many in the West viewed the charismatic prime
minister as a dangerous radical because he wanted
to nationalize the new country's lucrative,
Belgian-owned gold, copper and uranium mining industry.

The killing made Lumumba an anti-colonial martyr
and a liberation symbol to many Africans and
Asians. It inspired revolutionaries from South
Africa and Cuba to Vietnam and Algeria.

"We want the case against the officials
implicated in the murder to be airtight," said
historian Ludo De Witte, who blamed the Belgian
government for the killing in a 1999 book and is
part of the group of activists.

A Belgian parliamentary probe determined in 2002
that the government was "morally responsible" for
Lumumba's death. Brussels officially apologized
for its role in his death but refused to pay
compensation to his family or to prosecute those involved.

A U.S. Senate committee found in 1975 that the
U.S. administration had also hatched a separate
plan to kill the Congolese leader because
Washington viewed the leftist leader as a potential threat.

Congo's production of weapons-grade uranium
vastly raised the stakes for the United States,
which had used Congolese uranium to build the two
atomic bombs dropped on Japan in 1945.

Christophe Marchand, who heads the legal team,
said the suit, which was originally supposed to
have been submitted to the court in June, was
delayed due to volume of archives that had to be studied.

"There was an enormous mass of documents we
needed to consult, including reports of
commissions of inquiry both in Belgium and the
United States, in order to establish the facts," he said.

Marchand said the complaint will be refiled "in
coming weeks." He refused to name any of the
officials they planned to implicate.

On Sunday, several hundred demonstrators rallied
around the statue of King Leopold II, who
colonized Congo in the mid-19th century.
Belgium's harsh rule caused the deaths of between
four million and eight million Congolese.

"We want the truth about the assassination, we
want justice done after 50 years, and we want
Belgium to pay reparations for the consequences
the assassination caused," said Jean Marie Luhahi
Mongo, one of the organizers of the rally.

Historians agree that top Belgian officials and
officers conspired to overthrow Lumumba and
organized his execution Jan. 17, 1961. The death
ushered in the long, corrupt dictatorship of
Congo's western-backed leader Mobutu Sese Seko,
who was finally overthrown in 1997.

The Belgian army captain who commanded the firing
squad, was given a new name and secretly
transferred to the Belgian brigade in West Germany to avoid public exposure.

Lumumba was hastily buried after the execution.
But Belgian policemen later dug up the corpse,
dissolved it in acid and crushed the remaining
bones to avoid turning the grave into a pilgrimage site.

Copyright © 2011 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

An Assassination’s Long Shadow

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/17/opinion/17hochschild.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print

By ADAM HOCHSCHILD

San Francisco

TODAY, millions of people on another continent
are observing the 50th anniversary of an event
few Americans remember, the assassination of
Patrice Lumumba. A slight, goateed man with
black, half-framed glasses, the 35-year-old
Lumumba was the first democratically chosen
leader of the vast country, nearly as large as
the United States east of the Mississippi, now
known as the Democratic Republic of Congo.

This treasure house of natural resources had been
a colony of Belgium, which for decades had made
no plans for independence. But after clashes with
Congolese nationalists, the Belgians hastily
arranged the first national election in 1960, and
in June of that year King Baudouin arrived to
formally give the territory its freedom.

“It is now up to you, gentlemen,” he arrogantly
told Congolese dignitaries, “to show that you are worthy of our confidence.”

The Belgians, and their European and American
fellow investors, expected to continue collecting
profits from Congo’s factories, plantations and
lucrative mines, which produced diamonds, gold,
uranium, copper and more. But they had not planned on Lumumba.

A dramatic, angry speech he gave in reply to
Baudouin
<http://www.youtube.com/user/zaka33#p/a/u/1/F1JzlUrEb4A>brought
Congolese legislators to their feet cheering,
left the king startled and frowning and caught
the world’s attention. Lumumba spoke forcefully
of the violence and humiliations of colonialism,
from the ruthless theft of African land to the
way that French-speaking colonists talked to
Africans as adults do to children, using the
familiar “tu” instead of the formal “vous.”
Political independence was not enough, he said;
Africans had to also benefit from the great wealth in their soil.

With no experience of self-rule and an empty
treasury, his huge country was soon in turmoil.
After failing to get aid from the United States,
Lumumba declared he would turn to the Soviet
Union. Thousands of Belgian officials who
lingered on did their best to sabotage things:
their code word for Lumumba in military radio
transmissions was “Satan.” Shortly after he took
office as prime minister, the C.I.A., with White
House approval, ordered his assassination and
dispatched an undercover agent with poison.

The would-be poisoners could not get close enough
to Lumumba to do the job, so instead the United
States and Belgium covertly funneled cash and aid
to rival politicians who seized power and
arrested the prime minister. Fearful of revolt by
Lumumba’s supporters if he died in their hands,
the new Congolese leaders ordered him flown to
the copper-rich Katanga region in the country’s
south, whose secession Belgium had just helped
orchestrate. There, on Jan. 17, 1961, after being
beaten and tortured, he was shot. It was a
chilling moment that set off street demonstrations in many countries.

As a college student traveling through Africa on
summer break, I was in Léopoldville (today’s
Kinshasa), Congo’s capital, for a few days some
six months after Lumumba’s murder. There was an
air of tension and gloom in the city, jeeps full
of soldiers were on patrol, and the streets
quickly emptied at night. Above all, I remember
the triumphant, macho satisfaction with which two
young American Embassy officials ­ much later
identified as C.I.A. men ­ talked with me over
drinks about the death of someone they regarded
not as an elected leader but as an upstart enemy of the United States.

Some weeks before his death, Lumumba had briefly
escaped from house arrest and, with a small group
of supporters, tried to flee to the eastern
Congo, where a counter-government of his
sympathizers had formed. The travelers had to
traverse the Sankuru River, after which friendly
territory began. Lumumba and several companions
crossed the river in a dugout canoe to commandeer
a ferry to go back and fetch the rest of the
group, including his wife and son.

But by the time they returned to the other bank,
government troops pursuing them had arrived.
According to one survivor, Lumumba’s famous
eloquence almost persuaded the soldiers to let
them go. Events like this are often burnished in
retrospect, but however the encounter happened,
Lumumba seems to have risked his life to try to
rescue the others, and the episode has found its way into film and fiction.

His legend has only become deeper because there
is painful newsreel footage of him in captivity,
soon after this moment, bound tightly with rope
and trying to retain his dignity while being roughed up by his guards.

Patrice Lumumba had only a few short months in
office and we have no way of knowing what would
have happened had he lived. Would he have stuck
to his ideals or, like too many African
independence leaders, abandoned them for the
temptations of wealth and power? In any event,
leading his nation to the full economic autonomy
he dreamed of would have been an almost
impossible task. The Western governments and
corporations arrayed against him were too
powerful, and the resources in his control too
weak: at independence his new country had fewer
than three dozen university graduates among a
black population of more than 15 million, and
only three of some 5,000 senior positions in the
civil service were filled by Congolese.

A half-century later, we should surely look back
on the death of Lumumba with shame, for we helped
install the men who deposed and killed him. In
the scholarly journal Intelligence and National
Security, Stephen R. Weissman, a former staff
director of the House Subcommittee on Africa,
<http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content%7Edb=all%7Econtent=a923574698%7Efrm=abslink>recently
pointed out that Lumumba’s violent end
foreshadowed today’s American practice of
“extraordinary rendition.” The Congolese
politicians who planned Lumumba’s murder checked
all their major moves with their Belgian and
American backers, and the local C.I.A. station
chief made no objection when they told him they
were going to turn Lumumba over ­ render him, in
today’s parlance ­ to the breakaway government of
Katanga, which, everyone knew, could be counted on to kill him.

Still more fateful was what was to come. Four
years later, one of Lumumba’s captors, an army
officer named Joseph Mobutu, again with
enthusiastic American support, staged a coup and
began a disastrous, 32-year dictatorship. Just as
geopolitics and a thirst for oil have today
brought us unsavory allies like Saudi Arabia, so
the cold war and a similar lust for natural
resources did then. Mobutu was showered with more
than $1 billion in American aid and
enthusiastically welcomed to the White House by a
succession of presidents; George H. W. Bush
called him “one of our most valued friends.”

This valued friend bled his country dry, amassed
a fortune estimated at $4 billion, jetted the
world by rented Concorde and bought himself an
array of grand villas in Europe and multiple
palaces and a yacht at home. He let public
services shrivel to nothing and roads and
railways be swallowed by the rain forest. By
1997, when he was overthrown and died, his
country was in a state of wreckage from which it has not yet recovered.

Since that time the fatal combination of enormous
natural riches and the dysfunctional government
Mobutu left has ignited a long, multisided war
that has killed huge numbers of Congolese or
forced them from their homes. Many factors cause
a war, of course, especially one as bewilderingly
complex as this one. But when visiting eastern
Congo some months ago, I could not help but think
that one thread leading to the human suffering I
saw begins with the assassination of Lumumba.

We will never know the full death toll of the
current conflict, but many believe it to be in
the millions. Some of that blood is on our hands.
Both ordering the murders of apparent enemies and
then embracing their enemies as “valued friends”
come with profound, long-term consequences ­ a
lesson worth pondering on this anniversary.

Adam Hochschild is the author of “King Leopold’s
Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in
Colonial Africa” and the forthcoming “To End All
Wars: A Story of Loyalty and Rebellion, 1914-1918.”