[News] World Day of Solidarity with UPR to Mark 40th Anniversary of March 11

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 16 21:04:38 EST 2011

World Day of Solidarity with UPR to Mark 40th Anniversary of March 11
by RedAcción | Puerto Rico
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/2011/upr160211.html

February 16, 2011 -- Networks of sympathizers
with the ongoing student strike at the University
of Puerto Rico announced today that they will
stage simultaneous demonstrations in solidarity
with the UPR in cities around the world on
Friday, March 11, 2011, and invited all
supporters to join them, coordinating their own
activities in their respective towns.  Those
interested in self-organizing demonstrations can
email
<mailto:redaccion at gmail.com>redaccion at gmail.com
to sign the Declaration, or visit
<http://redaccion-pr.net/>redaccion-pr.net for
information on already scheduled
activities.  Event organizers urged people to
send in videos, and/or statements of support,
from their demos.  The full text of the Declaration follows.

A Call to Conscience and Historical Memory
World Day of Solidarity with the UPR

"Antonia, peoples never forgive." --
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSbu3p4OEVA>Antonio Cabán Vale "El Topo"

March 11, 1971 was one of the bloodiest single
days in the history of the University of Puerto
Rico.  The main campus at Río Piedras was
occupied by the Puerto Rico Police, unleashing
violent confrontations that ended the lives of
two police officers, including the then chief of
the notorious Tactical Operations Unit, and one student.

Barely one year before, on March 4, 1970, during
a student demonstration, student Antonia Martínez
Lagares was shot dead by police.  These tragedies
influenced a series of decisions that helped
reduce the intensity of on-campus conflicts
during the following decades, including the
removal of the United States' Army Reserve
Officers Training Corps (ROTC), and an
institutional commitment to resolving conflicts without police intervention.

Forty years later, the UPR community, led by the
students, still struggles for a democratic and
accessible institution, against the abusive and
exclusionary policies of the latest colonial
government.  Among these, aside from its clear
intention to privatize higher education as much
as it can, said government has laid off over
25,000 public employees, and intends to build a
gasoduct across the island that will displace
entire communities and impact areas of high
ecological and archeological value.

In this context, the Río Piedras Campus once
again lived several months of police occupation,
with the open support of the government and
university administrators, in reaction to the
strike democratically declared by the Río Piedras
General Student Assembly, rejecting an unjust and
arbitrary $800 hike in the cost of studying.  The
eyes of the world watched as Puerto Rico Police
officers tortured peaceful civil disobedients
with impunity, sexually accosted and attacked
women students, discriminatorily harassed student
leaders, and savagely beat people, even under
custody, all before the television cameras.

There can be no doubt that the recent decision by
Governor Luis Fortuño to withdraw the bulk of the
police force from the Río Piedras Campus is a
partial victory for the students, who with their
bravery and determination have raised the
political cost of sustaining that level of
repression way too high for the government to
afford.  However, now is not the time to lower
the guard.  It wouldn't be the first time that
the Fortuño administration temporarily curtails
its use of brute force, only to return even more
violently under any pretext.  We are convinced
that if the Puerto Rico Police is not removed
immediately, completely, and permanently from all
UPR campuses, it will only be a matter of time before another March 11.

In addition, we are united by the firm conviction
that the demands of the UPR community are
just.  The strike is still in effect, and the
struggle (its current phase) will continue until
the $800 hike is eliminated.  In the longer term,
we support a real democratization of the
decision-making process in the UPR, so that it is
the community that determines the best way to
handle the institution's financial and administrative problems.

For all of these reasons, Friday, March 11, 2011,
the fortieth anniversary of that fateful March
11, will be World Day of Solidarity with the
UPR.  On that day we will hold, in our respective
cities, simultaneous demonstrations together with
individuals and organizations that support just
causes.  At a time when the powerful voice of the
brave Egyptian people and all Arab nations is
still ringing around the globe, we are confident
that the people of consciousness of the world
will welcome this initiative and organize their
own activities of solidarity on that day.

We enthusiastically urge you to sign on to this
Declaration, and send us video, images, and
statements of support from your World Day of
Solidarity with the UPR demonstrations.

STRUGGLE YES, GIVE IN NO!
POLICE OUT OF THE UPR!
ZERO HIKE!