[News] El País and NY Times on Wikileaks Guantánamo : From Casios to shwarma

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 28 10:44:43 EDT 2011

El País and NY Times on Wikileaks Guantánamo: From Casios to shwarma

Posted on
<http://machetera.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/el-pais-and-ny-times-on-wikileaks-guantanamo-from-casios-to-shwarma/>April
27, 2011 by <http://machetera.wordpress.com/author/machetera/>machetera
http://machetera.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/el-pais-and-ny-times-on-wikileaks-guantanamo-from-casios-to-shwarma/

You know that things are going from bad to worse
when the spin coming from the newspaper of record
in Franco’s country* on the newly leaked files
from the U.S. concentration camp in Guantánamo,
Cuba, looks like it was written up by leftists in
comparison to the NY Times version.  Purely by
accident I happened to read the
<http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/abusos/Guantanamo/descubierto/elpepuint/20110425elpepuint_4/Tes>El
País<http://www.elpais.com/articulo/internacional/abusos/Guantanamo/descubierto/elpepuint/20110425elpepuint_4/Tes>
version first, where I learned that some of those
imprisoned at the camp were considered by their
captors to have received explosives training
based on nothing more than the fact that they wore Casio F91W wristwatches.

Which is absurd because the U.S. Army (the
world’s original explosives trainers) knows
perfectly well that real explosives experts like
Posada Carriles and his fellow traveler Felix
Rodríguez prefer Rolex’s, especially
<http://afrocubaweb.com/felixrodriguez.htm>ones
stolen from their murder victims.  And then you
also have to wonder, Casio F91W’s anyone?  During
the German occupation of Denmark, King Christian
X was said to have responded to the German decree
that all Jews wear yellow stars of David by
donning one himself and encouraging all Danes to
do the same.  It’s an
<http://www.snopes.com/history/govern/denmark.asp>urban
legend, but the fact that Danes helped most Jews
escape to Sweden is not.  The
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000GAWSDG/ref=nosim/kkorg-20>Casio
F91W is an ugly little thing, but it’s cheap.

So then I went to see what the Times had to say
about the Casios.  Nothing actually.  But before
looking up that story, I looked over the one
where the Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/27/world/guantanamo-files-wikileaks-loses-control-of-some-secrets.html>gloats
about undercutting Julian Assange’s business by getting its leaks elsewhere.

[Wikileaks] has become such a large player in
journalism that some of its secrets are no longer its own to control.

Can you imagine Times editor Bill Keller laughing
maniacally while he wrote dictated that?

Since it’s a well known fact that Assange prefers
not to do business with the Times I wanted to see
how they referred to their new source – who
naturally no-one has mentioned suffering the same
fate as Bradley Manning.  As you’d expect, they
were coy, but draw your own conclusions:

Unknown, at first, to the WikiLeaks partners, The
Times had independently obtained the files from a
source Mr. Keller would not name, and shared them
with both The Guardian and NPR.

It’s true that there are only about half a
million possible leakers but, State Department, anyone?

So then, on to the Times spin on the Guantánano files themselves.

Here are the first two sentences from the El País
article (sorry but I’m not going to translate the whole thing):

A police and penal system without guarantees was
created at Guantánamo in which only two questions
mattered: how much information might be obtained
from the prisoners, even though they might be
innocent, and whether they might be dangerous in
the future.  Elderly men with senile dementia,
adolescents, severe pyschiatric cases and
teachers or farmers with no connection whatsoever
to jihad were taken to the prison and mixed with
real terrorists, such as those responsible for 9/11.

Compare the Times version:

A trove of more than 700 classified military
documents provides new and detailed accounts of
the men who have done time at the Guantánamo Bay
prison in Cuba, and offers new insight into the
evidence against the 172 men still locked up there.

Not until the end of the second paragraph do we learn:

the leaked files show why, by laying bare the
patchwork and contradictory evidence that in many
cases would never have stood up in criminal court or a military tribunal.

Some of the prisoners, the Times informs us, had violent thoughts!

One detainee said “he would like to tell his
friends in Iraq to find the interrogator, slice
him up, and make a shwarma (a type of sandwich)
out of him, with the interrogator’s head sticking
out of the end of the shwarma.”

Oh call me crazy, but considering that the Times
preceded this revelation with another about
interrogators leashing a prisoner like a dog,
sexually humiliating him and forcing him to
urinate on himself, a human shwarma revenge
fantasy strikes me as not very unusual.  Or newsworthy really.

Speaking of which
time for lunch.

*They say Franco’s dead and Spain’s better now, but I’m not so sure.