[News] PFLP suspends its participation in PLO Executive Committee to protest return to negotiations

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 27 14:22:51 EDT 2010

PFLP suspends its participation in PLO Executive Committee to protest
return to negotiations

http://www.pflp.ps/english/?q=pflp-suspends-its-participation-plo-executive-comm

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine announced in a
press conference on September 25, 2010 that it was suspending its
participation in the PLO Executive Committee in response to Abu
Mazen's return to negotiations and the illegitimate "approval" of the
EC for this dangerous action.

At a press conference held in Ramallah led by Deputy General
Secretary Comrade Abdel-Rahim Mallouh and Political Bureau members
Comrades Khalida Jarrar and Omar Shehadeh, the Front warned of the
serious consequences and repercussions of the policy of concessions
and appeasement to the U.S. and Israel.

The press conference issued a statement, as follows:

A policy statement issued by the Central Committee of the Popular
Front for the Liberation of Palestine

To the masses of our Palestinian people struggling in Palestine And
the Diaspora...
To the masses of our glorious Arab Nation...

We make this statement today in light of our full national and
historical responsibility and a high level of consciousness of the
great risks to our people of current political developments on the
Arab and Palestinian level. In light of the action of the leadership
of the Palestine Liberation Organization to return to direct
negotiations with the government of the Zionist entity under the
auspices of U.S. imperialism, the Central Committee of the Popular
Front for the Liberation of Palestine convened an extraordinary
meeting to discuss all of these developments, which determined the following:

First: The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine has firmly
adhered to a categorical rejection of Oslo since 1993, and warned
early of its dangerous approach and its disastrous consequences for
the Palestinian cause, the PLO program and charter, and the
Palestinian national struggle. The decision to return to direct
negotiations is one that has failed for nearly two decades now. It is
an affront to the blood of our people shed in the Al-Aqsa Intifada
2000 and represents the persistence of the PLO leadership to continue
the devastating Oslo path, despite its devastating effect on our
people. This development places the Palestinian cause in the hands of
U.S. imperialism and Zionism, holding it accountable to their
dictates, which aim at the liquidation of the inalienable historic
and national rights of our people, particularly the right of return
for refugees, the right of self-determination, and the right of
citizenship and presence on the land of Palestinians in the 1948
occupied areas of Palestine. The direct negotiations also help to
break the growing international isolation of the Zionist entity, to
protect its leaders from accountability and consequences of their
crimes and slaughter, and to circumvent the growing international
solidarity with our people and their rights. They provide a cover for
the occupation practices and policies of settlement building, land
confiscation, displacement, siege, detention, imprisonment and
killing; further erode our Palestinian national position and national
constants; and contribute to the deepening of the disastrous internal
Palestinian division.

Accordingly, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, which
has maintained and adhered to the PLO, and has been a part of every
political turning point in the organization, and cherishes its
history and potential as a great national movement baptized by the
blood of martyrs, refuses to accept that the PLO shall be a cover for
policies that destroy and undermine our national cause. Further, we
reuse to accept that the PLO's institutions shall be turned into
institutions devoid of independence, militancy, democracy,
transparency, or legality. Therefore:

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine will suspend its
participation in the meetings of the Executive Committee of the
Palestine Liberation Organization. We knock on the walls of the tank
in front of the masses of our people and our nation, warning of the
serious consequences and repercussions of the policy of concessions
and the return to direct negotiations under the U.S.-Israeli
conditions, including the absence of the United Nations and its
references and the imposition of the American-sponsored negotiating
table as a substitute. With U.S. support, the Zionist state attempts
to impose the requirement to recognize "Israel" as the "State of the
Jewish people" upon the negotiating agenda as a part of the
negotiations. We take this step in light of the continued settlement
building, blockade and siege; and in light of the persistent selfish
and exclusionary practices and policies that disregard collective
Palestinian action and decision-making, and in light of the
overwhelming popular rejection of the illegitimate decision to return
to negotiations taken with only one-third of the membership of the
Executive Committee.

Second: The decision to return to the direct negotiations severely
undermines the decisions of the Central Council. It is an abuse of
the PLO and its representation of a national militant Palestinian
identity and its place as a location for joint Palestinian work.

Rather than holding to a national resolution to direct to the world,
particularly in order to strengthen the official Arab position in
order to serve the national struggle and its objectives, the
Executive Committee rendered a decision that was made before it was
even submitted. This decision took place at a meeting of the
Executive Committee - the PLO's leading body - with a formal lack of
quorum, and with the rejection of major forces.

Third: The decision of the Popular Front to suspend its participation
of the meetings of the Executive Committee does not mean that we are
engaging in any parallel or alternative frameworks to the PLO as a
national framework to encompass all of the Palestinian people in the
homeland and in diaspora. The Front is not only against the use of
the PLO and its institutions as empty shell structures to justify
concessions; it also rejects any denial of the fact that the PLO is a
great national achievement of our people and factions of the
contemporary Palestinian revolution, and the product of many painful
sacrifices. Just as it has in the past, the Popular Front will not
cease in the present and the future to struggle to reform and rebuild
the PLO on a national and democratic basis, including elections on
the basis of proportional representation in Palestine and wherever
possible in the diaspora. We reiterate the commitment of the March
2005 Cairo Declaration and the June 2006 National Accord document
(the Prisoners' Document) to end the disastrous state of division,
restore national unity, and strengthen the steadfastness of our
people to confront the occupation and its practices on the ground.
These are the central tasks of all Palestinians in the current national phase.

Fourth: The Popular Front, while affirming that the PLO is the sole
legitimate representative of our people wherever it is present, calls
on the masses of our people, factions, political forces, community
leaders and independent personalities to form and support the
broadest popular movement to stop the negotiations and end the
disastrous path of the Oslo accords. We call for the convening of a
fully empowered international conference under the auspices of the
United Nations and with international resolutions and legitimacy as
its reference in order to implement Palestinian rights and compel the
Zionist entity to implement UN resolutions, most notably UN
Resolution 194, assuring the return of refugees to their homes from
which they were displaced, as well as the dismantling of settlements
and the removal of settlers. We call for hard work to restore
national unity and develop a strategy for political action to uphold
our national principles and bring an end to reliance on negotiations
that have been demonstrated through painful experience to be futile
at best and devastatingly dangerous at worst.

Unity, steadfastness and resistance until victory!
Glory to the martyrs, health to the wounded, freedom for the
prisoners, and victory for our people!

The General Central Committee
Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
September 2010