[News] Government infiltration threatens rights and freedom, warn analysts

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 21 11:46:38 EDT 2010

Government infiltration threatens rights and freedom, warn analysts

By Eric Ture Muhammad -Contributing Writer- |
Last updated: Sep 21, 2010 - 11:29:31 AM

ATLANTA (FinalCall.com) - Allegations that a
famed photographer who chronicled the most
pivotal moments in civil rights history was
identified as a paid FBI informant reminded
activists, organizations and dissident movements
of dangerous government surveillance employed
yesterday and today against domestic groups.

The last thing one wanted to be thought of in
activist circles in the heyday of the civil
rights and Black Power movement was an informant
or snitch. Providing information and sometimes
setting up plots to entrap unsuspecting comrades
resulted in deaths, bitter inter- and intra-feuds
as well as activists who still languish in
prison, not to mention the suffering of those
jailed unjustly or who spent decades in exile.

Since Ernest Withers the man the Memphis
Commercial Appeal reported was an FBI informant
is dead, many unanswered questions remain and his
family doubts the reports are true.

“Personally, and as a family, we do not believe
what has been alleged. It still has to be
proven,” Mr. Withers' youngest daughter, Rosalind
Withers, told The Associated Press in an
interview. Andrew Jerome Withers, Rosalind
Withers and Frances Williams vowed to do their
own FOIA request and talk to the FBI themselves
in efforts to clear their father's name.

Still the use of informants yesterday and today
cannot be denied and so are reasons for concern.
In the current political environment and with
passage of so-called anti-terror legislation,
such as the post-9-11 Patriots Acts, advocates
warn Americans should have major worries about
violations of their civil liberties and
government ability to spy and pry into their private lives.

Informants have been at the center of “terrorist
plots” allegedly involving Muslims from Florida
to New York. And Muslim leaders from New York to
Los Angeles have complained about agents sent to
monitor and infiltrate their places of worship.

“A movement or institution with enough strength
and political discipline can usually withstand
the damage from informants. Unfortunately, the
Black movements in this country have never gained
the level of critical mass or cohesion necessary
to escape the damage done and that's the case in
this era,” observed Professor Hank Williams, and
instructor and Ph.D. candidate at the City University of New York.

“This has a direct connection to where we are
today politically, since the movement was
successfully destroyed and a generation of some
of the strongest leaders was lost through
political assassination, exile, and other means.
Some were bought off, others couldn't handle the
pressure, and yet others couldn't see the people
around them destroyed. That affects where we are
now, since many have survived and are even still
at the forefront of struggle, losing the wisdom
and momentum of the leaders and organizations
that didn't survive the '60s and '70s was a serious blow.”

While people should not “get too wrapped up in
the past,” Prof. Williams said, “one has to
wonder how much further along we'd be if the most
politically advanced ideas of the organizations
and people who didn't make it had been synthesized and acted upon?”

On Sept. 12, The Commercial Appeal­once noted
itself for the fomenting of tensions and
hostilities in its coverage of civil rights and
Black liberation issues in Memphis­reported that
photographer Withers was as an FBI informant and
spied on Dr. Martin Luther King and the civil rights movement.

A veteran freelancer, Mr. Withers' photography
ranged from the murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till
in 1955, to the 1968 assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and beyond.

According to the Commercial Appeal, an informant
identification number assigned to Mr. Withers was
overlooked in the redaction of a 1977 FBI file.
The document, obtained via the federal Freedom of
Information Act provided by the Commercial
Appeal, cites ME 338-R and identifies Mr.
Withers. In the right-hand margin the notation
“b7D'' provides justification for the redacted
words. Under the FOIA, section b7D allows the FBI
to withhold information that would identify
confidential sources, according to the report.

In the article, Mr. Withers, who died in 2007 at
the age of 85, is portrayed in the eyes of the
bureau “as a prolific informant who, from 1968
until 1970, passed on tips and photographs
detailing an insider's view of politics, business
and everyday life in Memphis' Black Community.”

“The grief-stricken aides photographed by Withers
on April 4, 1968, had no clue, but the man they
invited in that night was an FBI
informant­evidence of how far the agency went to
spy on private citizens in Memphis during one of
the nation's most volatile periods,” the story
read. According to the Commercial Appeal, the
story reported was two years in the making.

Mr. Withers' children question Commercial Appeal reporting.

“When I heard that, it was just terrifying,” said
Rome Withers in an interview with The Tri-State
Defender on Sept. 14, speaking about his father.
“I just hope that the community understands that
this is only an attempt to really demonize his
Withers' (photography) collection or even to
devalue his collection because we have been on an
uphill fight to try and maintain and keep his collection intact,” he said.

Since his death, the Withers' children say
“forces” have tried to gain control of their
father's extensive and unique collection. The
family says it is involved in a court battle and
wants to make the collection available to the
public, particularly so the Black community. It
covers Black life beginning in the 1940s, they added.

“Unfortunately, Mr. Withers is not here to answer
the allegations or to provide exactly­if
anything­what happened. However, what we do know
is that J. Edgar Hoover was so diabolical that
his hatred for Black people did not stop him from
doing what he desired to Whites as well. And like
Mr. Withers, we don't know what was held over
peoples' heads. We don't know the extent of the
threat that anyone found operating in this way,
faced,” said Atty. Nkechi Taifa, senior political
analyst for criminal and justice reform with the
Open Society Poverty Center, in Washington, D.C.

“Why the FBI didn't remove ME 338-R remains
unclear, but the evident oversight provides the
key that unlocks Withers' secret life,” the paper said.

“They still haven't said what he was doing,”
observed satirist and activist Dick Gregory, who
was also a target of the FBI's nefarious
activities. Mr. Gregory told The Final Call, “We
may never know why this number was not redacted.
At the same time, it might help us finally pull some pieces together.”

Mr. Gregory took strong issue with some responses
to the spying allegations. Civil rights icon
Andrew Young has publicly said he always liked
Mr. Withers “because he was a good photographer
and was always around.” “I don't think Dr. King
would have minded him making a little money on
the side,” Mr. Young, 78, told the Memphis newspaper.

“Can you imagine a Jew in Nazi Germany finding
out that a Jew was working with Hitler for the
Nazis and then another Jew saying we wouldn't
have minded him making a little money on the side?” Mr. Gregory asked.

“It is never acceptable to turn for the enemy,”
commented Kalongi Changa, of the Atlanta,
Ga.-based Free The People Movement and author of
the forthcoming book “How to Build a People's
Army.” He is a grassroots organizer and deals
with social and criminal justice issues.

“With all due respect to Andy Young, I think that
is one of the most absurd statements that an
educated man can make in these days and times.
Saying that he thinks that Dr. King wouldn't have
minded this man making money snitching on his
people is almost equivalent to saying he wouldn't
have minded a prostitute making a little money
selling her body,” Mr. Changa said. “Playing with
your enemy is like playing with fire­someone or
something will eventually get burned.”

“I presume that snitching is older than stealing
because a person could steal information and give
it away before there was ‘property' to steal,”
said Dr. Nathan Hare, founder of the San
Francisco, Calif.-based Black Think Tank.

“However, though ‘snitch' is now generally
associated with giving away or selling secret
information it also means ‘to steal.' So
snitching is tantamount to stealing and in most
people's minds worse than a thief. There at least
used to be a code among thieves that they didn't
steal from other thieves, but I don't think
there's any sense of honor among snitches, and it
is rightfully and universally despised and
personified with the words ‘rat' as in ‘to rat,' ” he said.

“Stool pigeon, which suggests a pigeon sitting on
a toilet stool, but is in fact a pigeon used as a
decoy to draw others into a net, and thus the
snitch becomes an extension of the police or, and
for the enemy,” said Dr. Hare.

A victim of government surveillance himself
because he was closely aligned with a range of
Black Power groups, Dr. Hare added, “The other
side of the coin was that so many good guys
appeared to be called snitches, who, apparently
and probably were not. At one point it looked
like people would call anybody who disagreed with
them a snitch or an ‘agent provocateur,' usually shortened to ‘an agent.' ”

Dr. Hare said one book about the FBI's dreaded
Counterintelligence Program,
<http://www.noi.org/cointelpro/>COINTELPRO, which
was designed to disrupt and destroy Black and
progressive organizations, misidentified him in
connection with the case of former Black Panther
Elmer Geronimo “Ji Jaga” Pratt, who was jailed
for 27 years for murders he did not commit.
Informant Julius Butler, a member of the Panther
Party, testified that Mr. Pratt boasted to him
about the murder. Mr. Pratt was only freed after
a retired FBI agent admitted the agency had
evidence that proved the Vietnam vet was nowhere near the crime scene.

Atty. Taifa added: “I think what we have to do is
put it all in perspective. It is one thing to be
a snitch, then there is the collaborator and then
there is another situation when there is in fact
something happening within our communities. Say,
one of our leaders is murdered and someone knows
who did it. Or, a child is raped or molested and
someone has that information for authorities. It
is critical to provide that information. But it
needs to be clearly distinguished from those who
seek financial aggrandizement to bring down the
movement, seeking to collaborate with the
movement when it is not in our community's best interest,” she said.

A long history of spying inside America

One would be hard pressed to find an instance
where dissident or influential individuals and
groups were not monitored regularly by the U.S.
government as well as some international
agencies. The FBI's Electronic Reading Room
houses tens of thousands of pages detailing some
of the deepest penetrations into the lives of
individuals, organizations and the infiltration of mass movements.

Last month, the American Civil Liberties Union,
the Asian Law Caucus and the San Francisco Bay
Guardian filed a lawsuit against the FBI in an
effort to speed the release of FBI records on the
investigation and surveillance of Muslim communities in the Bay Area.

The civil liberties organizations and The Bay
Guardian have requested the records in order to
understand and to report on whether and how the
FBI are “investigating Islamic centers and
mosques (as well as Christian churches and Jewish
synagogues); ‘assessing' religious leaders;
Infiltrating communities through the use of
undercover agents and informants; Training agents
in Islam and Muslim culture; and Using race,
religion and national origin in deciding whom to
investigate; and identifying particular schools for its Junior Agent Program.

“Clear information about the FBI's activities is
necessary in order to understand the scope of
their surveillance tactics to assess whether they
have had a chilling effect on the right to
worship freely or to exercise other forms of
expression,” said Julia Harumi Mass, staff
attorney for the ACLU of Northern California.
“This lawsuit is about transparency. The public
is entitled to this information under the Freedom of Information Act.”

“The FBI admitted in March that our clients' FOIA
requests are entitled to expedited processing
because of the widespread media attention on
these issues, but the government has yet to
provide them a single document,” said attorney
Raj Chatterjee of the law firm Morrison & Foerster.

The FBI records are sought in part in response to
concerns about the effects of possible racial and
religious profiling and the potential harm such
tactics may have on national security. The groups
are also seeking details on whether FBI agents
are recruiting Muslim and Arab children at Bay
Area schools to serve in the agency's Junior Agent Program.

“Snitches have played a role in disrupting
African resistance since enslavement,” said
Georgia State University Professor Akinyele
Umoja. Prof. Umoja was referring to paid agents
who curry favor with oppressive forces, not
tattle tales about run-of-the-mill street crime or illicit activity.

“Denmark Vesey's planned insurrection was stopped
due to information provided to the slaveholders.
Informants were present in the civil rights
movement in the South. Movement forces assumed
snitches were in their meetings. Wise movement
leaders often confused their enemies by providing
misinformation in public meetings.
<http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/www.noi.org/cointelpro/>COINTELPRO
(Counter Intelligence Program of the FBI to
destroy Black leadership and movements) and
Southern state documents are full of examples of
misinformation provided by Movement leaders to
confuse White supremacists and local, state and federal police,” he said.

“It is also revealed that the Honorable Elijah
Muhammad couldn't sneeze without the enemy
knowing. Snitches also played an important role
in the demise of the Black Panther Party.”

The list of Black groups and leaders targeted by
government unfortunately goes on and on, he said.

“Informing on the movement is treason. A
liberation movement cannot be successful if a
culture of snitching is acceptable. Movements are
only sustainable and victorious if we have a
culture of resistance and self-reliance. One
should wear a ‘badge of shame' for informing on
our organizations, leaders, and other sisters and
brothers to our enemies,” Dr. Umoja continued.

“We also have to develop a culture of
collectivism or communalism. If one wants
forgiveness, a public apology should be made and
restitution should be made to the individuals,
organizations and families involved. People's
lives and human rights were violated by the
repression of the
<http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/www.noi.org/cointelpro/>COINTELPRO
and other U.S. government initiatives against our movement. “

Dr. Umoja also recommended that if a member of a
community has an addiction or a financial or
emotional problem, it should be shared with their
community and organization. “We are only as
strong as our weakest link. If we leave brothers
and sisters out there they are vulnerable for
parasites who want to destroy the movement,” he said.

Under
<http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/www.noi.org/cointelpro/>COINTELPRO's
directive in the 1960s and 1970s, FBI director J.
Edgar Hoover was on the lookout for a “Black
Messiah” who could inspire diverse groups and
unite the Black masses. The language was clear
and so were its targets: H. Rap Brown (now Jamil
Al Amin), Stokely Carmichael (who became Kwame
Ture), the Black Panthers, the Nation of Islam
and the Honorable Elijah Muhammad.

“The reason Jamil Al-Amin was transferred to the
prison in Florence, Colo., if you recall, is
because the Georgia inmates petitioned to make
him their imam. An effective organizer­even
within the prison population­and a charismatic
leader who had also begun to exercise influence
over the prison staff is something the government
could not afford. So now he sits in solitary. The
same for Dr. Mutula Shakur, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Max
Sanford, Huey P. Newton. They know they have to
do something with people like these,” said Dr. Umoja.

But while the Panther Party and other nationalist
groups were destroyed, one movement has been able
to re-emerge and is the undeniable target of
government surveillance: The Nation of Islam and
the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan. With the
Nation there is the combination of Islam, Pan
Africanism, nationalism and self-reliance­all
elements that pose a threat to a nation dependent
upon its former slaves, said Dr. Umoja. “Now
Minister Farrakhan is here, who represents a
blend of all of the elements: an effective
organizer, charismatic, influential and has the
genuine love of the people from all walks of
life. You cannot be an effective leader without
charisma. No one can deny that, he has that
charisma that no one can control,” he said.

“Unfortunately, the mission of the Nation of
Islam has been misunderstood by some in
government but in other cases misunderstanding
has been created, which has permitted, and it is
well documented in history, the violation of our
civil and constitutional rights through J. Edgar
Hoover that continues down to the present time as
revealed in December 2009 disclosures that there
was Department of Homeland Security illegal
surveillance of the Nation of Islam and that we
were still a target of the U.S. government,” said
Atty. Abdul Arif Muhammad, general counsel for the Nation of Islam.

“It would not be wise for us to not think such
activity does not continue, especially in light
of the Islamaphobia present in the United States
and being stoked by the media and other forces in
and outside of government to illegitimately
distort the mission and work of the Honorable
Minister Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.”