[News] 28 Years Later: Sabra and Shatila Massacre

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Sep 17 11:31:18 EDT 2010

Reham Alhelsi – 28 Years Later: Sabra and Shatila Massacre

By
<http://palestinethinktank.com/author/reham-alhelsi/>Reham
Alhelsi • Sep 16th, 2010 at 20:48
http://palestinethinktank.com/2010/09/16/reham-alhelsi-28-years-later-sabra-and-shatila-massacre/

28 years ago, one September day, after playing
with my siblings and friends in our land, we
returned home with joy in our hearts. We were
very happy and rushed to tell my parents of our
plan to go on a “picnic” the following day with
our friends. My father looked at us and said
calmly: no, there will be no picnic tomorrow. My
parents were sitting in front of the TV, both
unusually quiet, my father’s eyes looked
troubled, my mother had tears in her eyes. The
house was silent, dead silent, except for the
screams coming from the TV. I looked at the TV
and saw the same images over and over: dead
bodies
. dead bodies
. dead bodies
.

28 years ago, I saw images of butchered
Palestinians, piled up like sacks one over the
other. I saw images of murdered men, women,
children and elderly filling the streets. I saw
women crying and shouting and cursing. I saw Sabra and Shatila.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila,
look at the images of the martyred victims. I
memorize the 3500 names of those tortured to
death, of those butchered. I read out loud the
testimonies of those who survived the atrocities.
I think of their pain, their suffering and of
their fear. I think: 62 years of murder, 62 years
of terror, 62 years of Zionism occupying Palestine and threatening humanity.

28 years ago, I understood for the first time
what it means to mourn, what it feels like to
lose someone, how much it hurts to see someone
lying in their blood, hear the stories of the
their last minutes, listen to the screams of
those who survived. We sat in our living room in
occupied Palestine and saw the images of all
those men, women and children, lying dead in the
streets. It was like waking up from a dream, and
realizing that for you, as a Palestinian, there
was no place for picnics, no place for happiness
as long as other Palestinians were being
murdered, that there is no place for happiness as
long as Palestine is still occupied. These
Palestinians did not live in Palestine, they were
far away from us, but they were part of us. They
were far away, in places called Sabra and
Shatila. It was the first time that I hear of
these places and since then these two names never
left me. They were far away from their homeland,
far away from Palestine, and we in Palestine,
mourned them, cried for them and felt the pain of
those who survived. They were the brothers far
away from home, the sisters we never met, the
cousins we heard of, the family that is an
extension of every family in Palestine. They were
the branches that were forcibly cut off of the
olive tree. They were the roots that were
snatched away from our mother Palestine.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila. I
remember that Palestinians are targeted
everywhere. I think of those among us steadfast
in our land refusing to leave despite the daily
Zionist terror, and think of those in the
Diaspora dreaming and waiting for the return. We
are the parts that make Palestine full; we are
one body and when one part of Palestine bleeds,
all of Palestine bleeds. I remember every
massacre and every crime committed against the
Palestinians. And despite the hopes, the wishes
and aims of the Zionists, every massacre, every
drop of Palestinian blood, every cry of a
Palestinian child makes us stronger, more
steadfast, more resolute to fight the occupation
and the oppression. With every massacre and with
every crime we grew closer and stood as one; one
body aching for freedom. With every massacre and
with every crime we cry for every victim of
oppression, we go to the streets for every martyr
and every wounded and every prisoner, we protest
every injustice and demand our legitimate rights.
It is our unity that makes us strong, a blood
bond that not the Zionist entity, not the US, not
even the treacherous Palestinians could break.

28 years ago, I realized that Palestinian
refugees, wherever they might be, whether in
Dheisheh, Balatah, Shu’fat or Khan Younis,
whether in Shnellar, Ein Il-Hilweh or Yarmouk,
are a threat to the Zionist entity because they
expose its lie of a “land without a people for a
people without a land”. I understood that the
Right of Return is a threat to the Zionist entity
that is a usurper entity based on racism, ethnic
cleansing and terror. I realized that Jrash, Deir
Aban and Zakariya are names the Zionist entity
wants deleted from the memory of humanity as it
deleted them from the map of the world.
28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila and
think of Palestinian babies born every day. These
babies are a threat to the Zionist entity because
with every Palestinian baby the Zionist myth of
“there is no such thing as Palestinians” crumbles
and falls, with every Palestinian baby the
Zionist dream of ethnically cleansing Palestine
is destroyed, with every Palestinian baby the
road to Haifa, Yafa and Al-Jalil becomes shorter
and with every Palestinian baby Palestine grows stronger.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila and
I think of all the collaborators and the
sell-outs who want to “negotiate” our legitimate
rights, who want to exchange the Right of Return
for more dollars and euros to fill their
over-sized Swiss bank accounts and who want to
sell out Palestine for more “power” in their
“mini-bantustan” aka Al-Muqata’a Ash-Sharifa. To
them we say: the Right of Return is inalienable
and there is no peace without justice, and there
is no justice without the return of all Palestinian refugees.

28 years ago, I understood that the Arab betrayal
that caused our Nakba and allowed a Zionist
usurper entity to be established in the heart of
the Arab world and on the dead bodies of
Palestinians is still a strong ally of Zionism
and a partner in dictatorship, racism and denying
equal rights. I understood that the Arab betrayal
that allowed the Sabra and Shatila massacre to
happen is still joining forces with the usurpers
to devour what is left of Palestine, to
ethnically cleanse and remove off the face of the
earth anything with the name “Palestinian”.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila, and
think of the Arab regimes who still betray
Palestine through their alliance with the Zionist
entity. They continue to betray Palestine every
time they shake the hands of Zionist war
criminals, they betray Palestine every time they
allow Zionists to enter their lands, they betray
Palestine every time they encourage normalization
with the Zionist entity, they betray Palestine
every time they refuse to boycott Zionism and its
products. And the Arab peoples still betray
Palestine through their silence which makes them
indirect accomplices. The millions over millions
of Arab people betray Palestine every time their
remain in their homes while millions all over the
world go out to the streets to protest Zionist
terror, they betray Palestine every time they
“condemn” Zionist terror on facebook and twitter
while others all over the world start solidarity
groups, and initiate boycott movements, they
betray Palestine every time they meet with
Zionists with lame excuses such as to “discuss
peace” and “hear the other side” thus siding with
the oppressor and equating the occupier with the occupied.

The millions over millions of Arabs betray
Palestine and themselves and their children every
time they say “our leaders won’t allow us” while
millions and millions of peoples throughout the
history took their destiny in their own hands and
liberated themselves from tyranny and dictatorship.

28 years ago, I saw the blood flowing in the
streets of Sabra and Shatila mix with the blood
of Deir Yasin, with the blood of Kufr Qasim, with
the blood of Qibya, Ish-Sheikh, Ad-Dayameh,
Sharafat, As-Sammou’, and countless many more. I
saw men and women scattered on the ground. I saw
children, like me, with no limbs and no heads. I
saw horrors that were the “trademark” of Zionism.
And I saw the fear, I saw the anger and I saw the
resolution. I saw Palestine bleeding and I cried.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila, and
think of the Palestinian blood shed by the
Zionists in Oyoun Qarra, Al-Aqsa, in Al-Ibrahimi,
in Jenin, in Jabalia, in Gaza. Palestine is still
bleeding, cries, awaits us to stand up again as
one against the occupiers and their accomplices.
Palestine asks us to stay loyal to the blood of
Sabra and Shatila and all the innocent victims,
never to forget, and to lead the way to Safsaf, Majd Il-Krum, Amka and Yajour.

28 years I saw Palestinians become Lebanese and
Lebanese become Palestinians. I saw both united
against one enemy; Zionism which is the enemy of
all humanity. I saw Palestinians and Lebanese
neighbours living near each other, living
together and living for each other. I saw
Palestinians and Lebanese neighbours as it always
was: Palestine hugging Lebanon and Lebanon
hugging Palestine until Zionism torn them apart.
I saw Palestinians and Lebanese blood mingle and
become one: the blood of the innocent victims of Zionism.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila, and
think of what was and what is. I think of the
Palestinian refugees who lost their homes and
their lands, who were forced out of Palestine and
who were butchered wherever they went. I think of
Palestinian refugees who have only one home to
which they want to return, who have only one
identity to define them: the Palestinians of
Palestine. But until the day of the return; don’t
they deserve to be treated like humans?

28 years ago, I saw the victims of Sabra and
Shatila and understood that murderers who kill
civilians know no “peace”; that killers who
butcher children don’t want “peace” and that only
resistance is the way to Haifa, Yafa and Akka,
that only through resistance will we liberate
Palestine, only through resistance will Palestine
be one again; from the river to the sea.

28 years later and after some 20 years of useless
“negotiations” between those who don’t represent
us and those who butcher us, I remember Sabra and
Shatila and every single massacre committed by
the Zionists and their accomplices. I remember
every single child, woman and man killed for the
sake of Zionism. I remember every village, every
town and every refugee camp that was ethnically
cleansed, destroyed, bulldozed or bombed in the
name of Zionism. I remember those who refused to
sell their conscience, their honour and their
land; I remember those who chose Palestine. And I
remember those who shook the hands of the killers
of our people, I remember those who
“acknowledged” our killers, signed “treaties”
with them and called them “our partners in
peace”; I remember those who sold Palestine. And I will never forget.

28 years ago, I, a child, sat in my bed in the
middle of one September night in 1982, the images
of the dead children filling my little head, the
cries of the survivors echoing in my ears, tears
swimming in my eyes, and swore to remain loyal to
the innocent souls of Sabra and Shatila, to
remain loyal to Palestine. I swore never to forget, never to forgive.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila, and
I haven't forgotten, nor have I forgiven. The war
criminals still walk freely, they are welcomed in
every Arab country, they are hugged and kissed by
those who claim they represent us.

28 years later, I remember Sabra and Shatila and
I will never forget those who, while Palestinians
were being butchered by Zionists, went to have
dinner with the war criminal Sharon in his ranch
built on usurped Palestinian land.

And 28 years ago, I cried for the victims of
Sabra and Shatila and dreamt of freedom, of
liberation and of the return of all refugees to
their homes so they can bury their dead and dry
their tears and plant olive trees where Zionism tried to kill the land.

28 years later, we commemorate Sabra and Shatila;
commemorate the souls of the innocent civilians
butchered in a most horrific manner by the
Zionist terrorists and their accomplices and
watch as another set of accomplices meet with the
same Zionist usurpers to sell our legitimate rights and our land.

28 years later, the tears of Sabra and Shatila
haven't dried yet. The blood of Sabra and Shatila
still flows in every alley and every street of
every Arab country that welcomes a Zionist war
criminal. The screams of Sabra and Shatila still
resound in every alley and every street of every
Arab country that welcomed a Zionist war criminal.

28 years later, and 10227 days after Sabra and
Shatila Palestine is still occupied by the
Zionists and their accomplices. Palestinian blood
is still being spilled for the sake of Zionism.
Palestine is still usurped, besieged and faces
daily ethnic cleansing and terror.
28 year later, Sabra and Shatila appeals to us, adjures us never to forget!

28 years later; our people are still steadfast in
Palestine, the refugees still cling to the Right
of Return and Resistance is still the only way
for a free Palestine from the River to the Sea.

©
<http://avoicefrompalestine.wordpress.com>http://avoicefrompalestine.wordpress.com