[News] Colombia - Piedad Córdoba and Her Fight for Peace

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Oct 12 12:05:39 EDT 2010

Colombia -

Piedad Córdoba and Her Fight for Peace

October 1, 2010

By Fidel Castro
http://www.solvision.co.cu/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1495:piedad-cordoba-and-her-fight-for-peace&catid=34:portada&Itemid=171

Three days ago, there was news printed that the
Attorney General of Colombia, Alejandro Ordóñez
Maldonado had removed the prestigious Colombian
Senator Piedad Córdoba from her post and
disqualified her from carrying out political
office for 18 years, because of her alleged
promoting and collaborating with the FARC (the
Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia).  Faced
with such an unusual and drastic measure taken
against an elected post in the highest
legislative body of state, Piedad has no
alternative other than appealing to the very
Attorney General who produced the measures.

It was logical that such arbitrariness would
cause a mighty rejection, expressed by a wide
range of political personalities, among them
former prisoners of the FARC and relatives of
those who had been liberated, thanks to the
senator, former presidential candidates, persons
who had held that high office, others who were or
still are senators or members of the legislative power.

Piedad Córdoba is an intelligent and brave
person, a brilliant speaker, with
well-articulated thoughts.  A few weeks ago she
visited us in the company of other distinguished
personalities, among which was a remarkably
honest Jesuit priest.  They came spurred on by a
profound desire to seek peace for their country
and they were requesting Cuba’s collaboration,
remembering that for years, and at the instance
of the government of Colombia itself, we lent our
territory and our collaboration for the meetings
that took place in our capital between
representatives of the Colombian government and the National Liberation Army.

However, I am not surprised by the decision taken
by the Attorney General who obeys the official
policy of that country which is virtually occupied by Yankee troops.

I don’t like hedging my words, and I shall say
what I am thinking. Just one week ago, the
general debate of the 65th Session of the United
Nations General Assembly was about to begin.  For
three days they had been discussing the
embarrassing Millennium Development Goals and on
Thursday September 23rd the General Assembly was
commencing with the participation of the heads of
State or senior officials of each country. The
first to take the podium would be, as is
customary, the UN Secretary General and
immediately afterwards, the President of the
United States, host country of the Organization
and the presumed master of the world. The session
was beginning at 9 am.  Logically, I was
interested in hearing what the illustrious Barack
Obama, Nobel Peace Prize laureate, would have to
say as soon as Ban Ki-moon had concluded. I
naively thought that CNN in Spanish or in English
would be broadcasting Obama’s speech, generally a
brief one. It was on that channel that I heard
the presidential candidates debating in the city
of Las Vegas two years earlier.

The time came, minutes went by and CNN was
running the apparently spectacular news about the
death of a Colombian guerrilla leader. That was
important, but not particularly transcendental. I
stayed interested in finding out what Obama would
say about the extremely serious problems besetting the world.

Could it be that the state of the planet is such
that both of them are fooling around and making
the Assembly wait?  I asked that the other TV be
turned on to CNN in English and there too, not
one word about the Assembly.  So, what was CNN
talking about?  It was broadcasting news and I
was waiting for the news from Colombia to
end.  But 10, 20, 30 minutes went by, and there
was more of the same.  They were talking about
incidents in a huge combat that was taking place,
or had taken place, in Colombia, that the fate of
the continent would depend on that, as the words
and broadcasting style of the reporter were
having us believe.  Photos and full-color film
were being shown about the death of Víctor Julio
Suárez Rojas, alias Jorge Briceño Suárez or “Mono
Jojoy”.  The reporter was saying that this was
the most severe blow for the FARC, surpassing
both the deaths of Manuel Marulanda and Raúl
Reyes together.  A devastating action, he was
affirming.  It was presumed to have been a
spectacular battle, with 30 bombers, 27
helicopters and complete battalions of elite
troops taking part in the fierce fighting.

Really, it was something greater than the battles
of Carabobo, Pichincha and Ayacucho all rolled
into one. With old experience about these
conflicts, I couldn’t imagine such a battle in
the wooded and remote region of Colombia. The
mighty action was spiced up with pictures of all
kinds, both old and new, showing the rebel
commander.  For the CNN news editor, Marulanda’s
successor Alfonso Cano was a university
intellectual who had no backing from his troops;
the real chief had died.  The FARC would have to surrender.

Let’s be frank. The news referring to the famous
battle where the FARC commander died (the FARC is
a Colombian revolutionary movement that came into
being more than 50 years ago, after the death of
Jorge Eliécer Gaitán who was assassinated by the
oligarchy) and the removal of Piedad Córdoba are
very far from bringing peace to Colombia; quite
the opposite. They could accelerate the revolutionary changes in that country.

I would think that quite a few Colombian military
are embarrassed by the grotesque versions of the
supposed battle where Commander Jorge Briceño
Suárez died. In the first place, there was no
battle at all.  It was a gross and embarrassing murder.

Perhaps hampered by the part of the war with
which the official authorities had released the
news and other obscure versions, Admiral Edgar
Cely stated that “Jorge Briceño, alias ‘Mono
Jojoy’, died ‘squashed’ when [...] the building
in which he was hiding in the jungle toppled over
on him.”   “‘We know that he died crushed, his
bunker falling down on top of him’, [
] ‘it’s not
true that he had been shot in the head’.”  So
read the statement by Caracol Radio station
according to the American AP news agency.

They baptized the operation with the Biblical
name of Sodom, one of the cities punished for its
sins, victim of a rain of hell-fire and sulphur.

What is more serious is what we haven't said,
which by now even the cat knows about, because
the Yankees themselves have printed it.

The US government provided its ally with more
than 30 smart bombs. There was a GPS installed
inside the guerrilla chief’s boots. Guided by
that device, the programmed bombs blew up in the
encampment where Jorge Briceño was located.

Why not tell the world the truth? Why are they
alluding to a battle that never took place?

I observed other embarrassing things on TV. The
president of the United States warmly received
Uribe in Washington and encouraged him to give
classes on “democracy” at an American university.

Uribe was one of the principal creators of the
paramilitary, whose members are responsible for
the boom in drug trafficking and the deaths of
tens of thousands of people.  It was Barack Obama
with whom Uribe signed the handing over of seven
military bases and virtually of any part of
Colombian territory, for the installation of
Yankee armed forces men and equipment. The
country is full of clandestine cemeteries.
Through Ban Ki-moon, Obama granted Uribe
immunity, appointing him, no less, as deputy
chairman of the commission investigating the
attack of the fleet taking aid to Palestinians besieged in Gaza.

In the final days of his presidency, Uribe had
already organized the operation using the GPS in
the new boots needed by the Colombian guerrilla leader.

When the new Colombian president traveled to the
US to speak at the General Assembly, he knew that
the operation was underway, and when Obama
learned of the news of the murder of the guerrilla, he warmly hugged Santos.

I wonder whether on that occasion they said
anything at all about respecting the decision
made by the Colombian Senate declaring Uribe’s
authorization to establish Yankee military bases
to be illegal. The crude murder was backed up by these bases.

I have criticized the FARC. In a Reflection I
publicly expressed my disagreement with the
holding of prisoners of war and the sacrifices
meant for them by the tough conditions of life in
the jungle. I explained the reasons and the
experience we acquired in our struggle.

I was critical of the strategic concepts of the
Colombian guerrilla movement.  But I never denied
the revolutionary nature of the FARC.

I believed, and I believe, that Marulanda was one
of the most distinguished of the Colombian and
Latin American guerrilla fighters.  When many of
the names of the mediocre politicians are
forgotten, Marulanda will be acknowledged as one
of the most honorable and firm fighters for the
well-being of peasants, workers and the poor of Latin America.

The prestige and moral authority of Piedad Córdoba has multiplied.

Fidel Castro Ruz

From: Z Net - The Spirit Of Resistance Lives