[News] FBI Gets Caught Tracking Man's Car, Wants Its GPS Device Back

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 8 11:41:14 EDT 2010

<http://gizmodo.com/5658661/fbi-gets-caught-tracking-mans-car-wants-its-gps-device-back>FBI
Gets Caught Tracking Man's Car, Wants Its GPS Device Back

http://gizmodo.com/5658661/fbi-gets-caught-tracking-mans-car-wants-its-gps-device-back

FBI Gets Caught Tracking Man's Car, Wants Its GPS Device Back

Remember that strange
<http://gizmodo.com/5655514/want-to-know-if-the-fbi-is-tracking-you-look-for-one-of-these>GPS
tracking device found by young man under his car?
Turns out that the FBI rushed half a dozen agents
to retrieve it after photos started appearing online.

A California student got a visit from the FBI
this week after he found a secret GPS tracking
device on his car, and a friend posted photos of
it online. The post prompted wide speculation
about whether the device was real, whether the
young Arab-American was being targeted in a
terrorism investigation and what the authorities would do.

It took just 24 hours to find out: The device was
real, the student was being secretly tracked and
the FBI wanted their expensive device back, the
student told Wired.com in an interview Wednesday.

The answer came when half-a-dozen FBI agents and
police officers appeared at Yasir Afifi's
apartment complex in Santa Clara, California, on
Tuesday demanding he return the device.

Afifi, a 20-year-old U.S.-born citizen,
cooperated willingly and said he'd done nothing
to merit attention from authorities. Comments the
agents made during their visit suggested he'd
been under FBI surveillance for three to six months.

An FBI spokesman wouldn't acknowledge that the
device belonged to the agency or that agents appeared at Afifi's house.

"I can't really tell you much about it, because
it's still an ongoing investigation," said
spokesman Pete Lee, who works in the agency's San Francisco headquarters.

Afifi, the son of an Islamic-American community
leader who died a year ago in Egypt, is one of
only a few people known to have found a
government-tracking device on their vehicle.

His discovery comes in the wake of a recent
ruling by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
saying it's legal for law enforcement to
<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/10/fbi-tracking-device/>secretly
place a tracking device on a suspect's car
without getting a warrant, even if the car is parked in a private driveway.

Brian Alseth from the American Civil Liberties
Union in Washington state contacted Afifi after
seeing pictures of the tracking device posted
online and told him the ACLU had been waiting for
a case like this to challenge the ruling.

"This is the kind of thing we like to throw
lawyers at," Afifi said Alseth told him.

"It seems very frightening that the FBI have
placed a surveillance-tracking device on the car
of a 20-year-old American citizen who has done
nothing more than being half-Egyptian," Alseth told Wired.com

Afifi, a business marketing student at Mission
College in Santa Clara, discovered the device
last Sunday when he took his car to a local
garage for an oil change. When a mechanic at
Ali's Auto Care raised his Ford Lincoln LS on
hydraulic lifts, Afifi saw a wire sticking out
near the right rear wheel and exhaust.

Garage owner Mazher Khan confirmed for Wired.com
that he also saw it. A closer inspection showed
it connected to a battery pack and transmitter,
which were attached to the car with a magnet.
Khan asked Afifi if he wanted the device removed
and when Afifi said yes, Khan pulled it easily from the car's chassis.

"I wouldn't have noticed it if there wasn't a wire sticking out," Afifi said.

On Monday, a friend of Afifi's named Khaled
posted
<http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/10/fbi-tracking-device/>pictures
of the device at Reddit asking if anyone knew
what it was and if it mean the FBI "is after us."
(Reddit is owned by CondeNast Digital, which also owns Wired.com).

"My plan was to just put the device on another
car or in a lake," Khaled wrote, "but when you
come home to 2 stoned off their asses people who
are hearing things in the device and convinced
its a bomb you just gotta be sure."

A reader quickly identified it as an Orion
Guardian ST820 tracking device made by an
electronics company called Cobham, which sells
the device only to law enforcement.

No one was available at Cobham to answer
Wired.com's questions, but a former FBI agent who
looked at the pictures confirmed it was a tracking device.

The former agent, who asked not to be named, said
the device was an older model of tracking
equipment that had long ago been replaced by
devices that don't require batteries. Batteries
die and need to be replaced if surveillance is
ongoing so newer devices are placed in the engine
compartment and hardwired to the car's battery so
they don't run out of juice. He was surprised this one was so easily found.

"It has to be able to be removed but also stay in
place and not be seen," he said. "There's always
the possibility that the car will end up at a
body shop or auto mechanic, so it has to be
hidden well. It's very rare when the guys find them."

He said he was certain that agents who installed
it would have obtained a 30-day warrant for its use.

Afifi considered selling the device on Craigslist
before the FBI showed up. He was in his apartment
Tuesday afternoon when a roommate told him "two
sneaky-looking people" were near his car. Afifi,
already heading out for an appointment,
encountered a man and woman looking his vehicle
outside. The man asked if Afifi knew his
registration tag was expired. When Afifi asked if
it bothered him, the man just smiled. Afifi got
into his car and headed for the parking lot exit
when two SUVs pulled up with flashing lights
carrying four police officers in bullet-proof vests.

The agent who initially spoke with Afifi
identified himself then as Vincent and told
Afifi, "We're here to recover the device you
found on your vehicle. It's federal property.
It's an expensive piece, and we need it right now."

Afifi asked, "Are you the guys that put it
there?" and the agent replied, "Yeah, I put it
there." He told Afifi, "We're going to make this
much more difficult for you if you don't cooperate."

Afifi retrieved the device from his apartment and
handed it over, at which point the agents asked a
series of questions – did he know anyone who
traveled to Yemen or was affiliated with overseas
training? One of the agents produced a printout
of a blog post that Afifi's friend Khaled
allegedly wrote a couple of months ago. It had
"something to do with a mall or a bomb," Afifi
said. He hadn't seen it before and doesn't know
the details of what it said. He found it hard to
believe Khaled meant anything threatening by the post.

"He's a smart kid and is not affiliated with
anything extreme and never says anything stupid
like that," Afifi said. "I've known that guy my whole life. "

The agents told Afifi they had other agents outside Khaled's house.

"If you want us to call them off and not talk to
him we can do that," Afifi said they told him.
"That was weird. [...] I didn't really believe anything they were saying."

When he later asked Khaled about the post, his
friend recalled "writing something stupid," but
said he wasn't involved in any wrongdoing. Khaled
declined to discuss the issue with Wired.com.

The female agent, who handed Afifi a card,
identified herself as Jennifer Kanaan and said
she was Lebanese. She spoke some Arabic to Afifi
and through the course of her comments indicated
she knew what restaurants he and his girlfriend
frequented. She also congratulated him on his new
job. Afifi got laid off from his job a couple of
days ago, but on the same day was hired as an
international sales manager of laptops and computers for Cal Micro in San Jose.

The agents also knew he was planning a short
business trip to Dubai in a few weeks. Afifi said
he often travels for business and has two teenage
brothers in Egypt whom he supports financially.
They live with an aunt. His U.S.-born mother, who
divorced his father five years ago, lives in Arizona.

Afifi's father, Aladdin Afifi, was a U.S. citizen
and former president of the Muslim Community
Association here, before his family moved to
Egypt in 2003. Afifi returned to the U.S. alone
in 2008 to further his education he said. He
knows he's on a federal watchlist and is
regularly taken aside at airports for secondary screening.

Six months ago, a former roommate of his was
visited by FBI agents who said they wanted to
speak with Afifi. Afifi contacted one agent and
was told the agency received an anonymous tip
from someone saying he might be a threat to
national security. Afifi told the agent he was
willing to answer questions if his lawyer
approved. But after Afifi's lawyer contacted the
agency, he never heard from the feds again until
he found their tracking device.

"I don't think they were surprised that I found
it," he told Threat Level. "I'm sure they knew
when I found it. [...] One of the first questions
they asked me was if I was at a mechanics shop
last Sunday. I said yes, that's where I found this stupid device under my car."

Afifi's attorney, who works for the civil
liberties-focused <http://ca.cair.com/>Council on
American Islamic Relations, said this kind of
tracking is more egregious than the kind her office usually sees.

"The idea that it escalates to this level is
unusual," said Zahra Billoo. "We take about one
new case each week relating to FBI or law
enforcement visits [to clients]. Generally they
come to the individual's house or workplace, and
there are issues that arise from that."

However, she said that after learning about
Afifi's experience, other lawyers in her
organization told her they knew of two people in
Ohio who also recently discovered tracking devices on their vehicles.

Afifi's encounter with the FBI ended with the agents telling him not to worry.

"We have all the information we needed," they
told him. "You don't need to call your lawyer. Don't worry, you're boring."

They shook his hand and left.

Photo of tracking device courtesy of Yasir Afifi

FBI Gets Caught Tracking Man's Car, Wants Its GPS Device Back
<http://wired.com>Wired.com has been expanding
the hive mind with technology, science and geek culture news since 1995.

The author of this post can be contacted at
<mailto:tips at gizmodo.com>tips at gizmodo.com