[News] Body-Scanners May Not Work, But They Do Cause Cancer

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 24 12:13:10 EST 2010

Something to Consider on Opt-Out Day:
Body-Scanners May Not Work, But They Do Cause Cancer

Wed, 11/24/2010
by: James Ridgeway
http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/node/323

Are you one of the millions of Americans flying
this Thanksgiving weekend? Are you thinking about
joining the national protest to opt-out of being
run through an airport X-ray scanner?

If you’re worried about the alternative--getting
groped by TSA screeners at the checkpoint--you
might consider this: The government insists those
back-scatter X-ray machines are perfectly safe, but many scientists disagree.

It’s not just a matter of some puerile TSA
screeners giggling at your naked body. In a
<http://holt.house.gov/images/stories/updated_TSA_letter_11.19.2010.pdf>letter
to John Pistole, administrator of TSA, New Jersey
Congressman Rush Holt, a physicist and the
Chairman of the House Select Intelligence
Oversight Panel, raises the possibility that the
machines might be carcinogenic. He writes:

In March, the Congressional Biomedical Caucus (of
which I am a co-chair) hosted a presentation on
this technology by TSA, as well as a briefing by
Dr. David Brenner of Columbia University on the
potential health effects of “back scatter” x-ray
devices. As Dr. Brenner noted in his presentation
and in subsequent media interviews, the devices
currently in use and proposed for wider
deployment this year currently deliver to the
scalp “20 times the average dose that is
typically quoted by TSA and throughout the industry.”

Dr. Brenner has pointed out that the majority of
the radiation from X-ray backscatter machines
strikes the top of the head, which is where 85
percent of the 800,000 cases of basal cell
carcinoma diagnosed in the United States each
year develop. According to Dr. Brenner, excessive
x-ray exposure can act as a cancer rate
multiplier, which is why our government should
investigate thoroughly the potential health risks
associated with this technology.

Various experts have questioned whether older
people and children ought to be subjected to
scanners, and whether people susceptible to or
having melanoma and cataracts should undergo the scan.

Last April, four California scientists--biology
and medical researchers--in a
<http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/TSA_Misleads_Public_On_Scanner_Safety_203670-1.html>letter
to the White House, warned that there had been no
independent research done into the safety of
backscatter X-rays, with the government relying
entirely on the industry’s own claims of safety.
They also said that the TSA’s claim that the
X-rays were less dangerous than an ordinary chest
X-ray were misleading because the dose isbeing
calculated for the whole body, while in fact the
entire X-ray is focussed on the skin of the body,
which receives a much higher dosage--one they
warned could lead to potentially serious cancer risk.

Holt, meanwhile, also questioned the efficacy of
the body scanners, which would come as no
surprise to critics who’ve been lambasting them
for years. Last January, when the government’s
appetite for body scanners got a big boost from
the underwear bomber, there was skepticism about
their ability to detect the types of explosives
favored by would-be airline bombers. As I