[News] Interview With President Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Nov 15 14:04:14 EST 2010

Interview With President Jean-Bertrand Aristide, by Nicolas Rossier

Submitted by CHAN on November 13, 2010 - 09:02
http://canadahaitiaction.ca/content/interview-president-jean-bertrand-aristide-nicolas-rossier

Exiled Former President of Haiti Talks with Filmmaker Nicolas Rossier

Saturday, November 13, 2010

" When we say democracy we have to mean what we say"

Currently in forced-exile in South Africa, former
Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide is still
the national leader of Fanmi Lavalas – one of
Haiti's most popular political parties. A former
priest and proponent of liberation theology, he
served as Haiti's first democratically elected
president in 1990 before he was ousted in a CIA
backed coup in September 1991. He returned to
power in 1994 with the help of the Clinton
administration and finished his term. He was
elected again seven years later, only to be
ousted in a coup in February 2004. The coup was
lead by former Haitian soldiers in tandem with
members of the opposition. Aristide has
repeatedly claimed since, that he was forced to
resign at gunpoint by members of the US Embassy.
US officials have claimed that he decided to
resign freely following the violent uprising. He
now lives in exile in South Africa where he still
waits to get his diplomatic passport renewed. He
is not allowed to travel outside South Africa.

Aristide is still the subject of many
controversies. He is reviled by the business
elite and feared by the French and American
governments, who deem his populism dangerous. But
he remains loved by a large portion of the Haitian population.

In a June 10 report to the Committee on Foreign
Relations, "Haiti: No Leadership – No Elections”,
ranking Republican member Richard Lugar denounced
the systemic injustice of excluding his Fanmi Lavalas party.

Last week, independent reporter and filmmaker
Nicolas Rossier, conducted an exclusive two-hour
interview with former Haitian President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide in the hills of
Johannesburg. He spoke with the former President
about his life in forced exile, Haiti’s current
political situation, and his possible return to
Haiti. This is an excerpt of the interview. The
interview is re-posted here, to the website of
the Canada Haiti Action Network, with permission of Nicolas Rossier.

Mr. President Aristide, thank you for having me
today. My first question is about the earthquake
that took place in Haiti in January of 2010. Can
you tell me how and when you learned about the tragedy?

It was morning here. I was at Witwatersrand
University here in Johannesburg to work in the
lab of the Faculty of Medicine for Linguistics
and Neuroanatomy. I realized that it was a
disaster in Haiti. It was not easy to believe
what I was watching. We lost about 300,000
people, and in terms of the buildings, they said
that about 39% of the buildings in Port-au-Prince
were destroyed, including fifty hospitals and about 1,350 schools.

Up until today they have cleared only about 2% of
these 25 million cubic meters of rubble and
debris. So this was a real disaster. We could not
imagine that Haiti, already facing so many
problems, would now face such a disaster.
Unfortunately this is the reality. I was ready to
leave right now if they allow me to be there to
help. Close to 1.8 million victims are living in
the street homeless. So this is a tragedy.

Your former colleague, the current President René
Préval, was highly criticized after the
earthquake for being absent. Overall, he was
judged as not having shown enough leadership. Do
you think that’s a fair criticism?

I believe that January 12, 2010 was a very bad
time for the government and for the Haitian
people. To have leadership, yes it was necessary,
overall, to be present in a time of disaster like
this one. But to criticize when you aren’t doing
any better is cynical. Most of those who were
criticizing him sent soldiers to protect their
own geopolitical interests, not to protect the
people. They seized the airport for their own
interests, instead of protecting the victims – so
for me there should be some balance.

Can you give us your thoughts on the recent cholera epidemic?

As for this recent incident of cholera, whether
or not it was imported – as the evidence strongly
suggests – it’s critical. First, those who
organized the coup d’état/kidnapping of 2004,
paving the way for the invaders now accused as
having caused the recent outbreak of cholera,
must also share the blame. Second, the root
causes, and what facilitated the deadly spread of
the disease are structural, embedded in Haiti’s
historical impoverishment, marginalization and
economic exploitation. The country’s once
thriving rice industry – destroyed by the
subsidized US rice industry in the 1980s – was in
the Artibonite, the epicenter of the cholera
outbreak. The near destruction of our rice
industry coupled with the systematic and cruel
elimination of the Haitian pigs rendered the
region and the country poorer. Third, in 2003 our
government had already paid the fees on an
approved loan from the InterAmerican Development
Bank to implement a water sanitization project in
the Artibonite. As you can remember, that loan
and four others were blocked as part of a
calculated strategy by the so-called friends of
Haiti to weaken our government and justify the coup d’état.

Many observers in Haiti and elsewhere keep asking
me the same question, which is this: what are you
doing here and what prevents you from coming back
to your own country? The Haitian constitution
does not allow political exile. You have not been
convicted of anything, so what prevents you from
going back? You are a Haitian citizen and should be allowed to move freely.

When I look at it from the South African
perspective, I don’t find the real reasons. But
if I try to understand it from the Haitian
perspective, I think that I see the picture. The
picture is that in Haiti, we have the same people
who organized the invasion of 2004 after
kidnapping me to put me in Africa. They are still
there. That means there is a kind of neo-colonial
occupation of 8,900 UN soldiers with 4,400
policemen spending, more or less, fifty-one
million US dollars a month in a country where 70%
of the population lives with less than a dollar a
day. In other words it’s a paradise for the
occupiers. First we had the colonization of Haiti
and now we have a kind of neo-colonial occupation
of Haiti. In my view, they don’t want me back
because they still want to occupy Haiti.

So you see the elite in Haiti basically
influencing those currently in power and
pressuring them to prevent you from coming back?
There is certainly a more friendly administration
now in Washington. Are they still sending the
same messages to South Africa regarding you?

JBA: No
 (laughs)

I heard that you tried to go to Cuba for an
urgent eye surgery and you were not allowed to go. Is this true?

Allow me to smile
(laughs) because when you look
at this, you smile based on the contradiction
that you observe in the picture. They pretend
that they fear me when I am part of the solution,
based on what the majority of the people in Haiti
still continue to say. If they continue to ask
for my return by demonstrating peacefully, that
means you still have the problem. So if you want
to solve the problem, open the door for my return.

Before the coup, I was calling for dialogue in
such a way to have inclusion, not exclusion - to
have cohesion, not an explosion of the social
structure. The opposition, with foreign backers,
decided to opt for a coup and the result is what
I would say in a Hebrew saying: ?? ??? ?? ???? ,
in English meaning, “things went from bad to
worse.” So if you they are wise, they should be
the first to do their best for the return because
the return is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

You have said that you do not intend to become
involved in politics, but rather return as a citizen. Is that your vision?

Yes, and I said it because this is what I was
doing before being elected in 1990. I was
teaching and now I have more to offer based on my
research in linguistics and neurolinguistics,
which is research on how the brain processes
language. I have made a humble contribution in a
country where once we had only 34 secondary
schools when I was elected 1990, and before the
coup of 2004 we had 138 public secondary schools.
Unfortunately the earthquake destroyed most of
them. Why are they so afraid? It’s irrational.
Sometimes people who want to understand Haiti
from a political perspective may be missing part
of the picture. They also need to look at Haiti
from a psychological perspective. Most of the
elite suffer from psychogenic amnesia. That means
it’s not organic amnesia, such as damage caused
by brain injury. It’s just a matter of
psychology. So this pathology, this fear, has to
do with psychology, and as long as we don’t have
that national dialogue where fear would
disappear, they may continue to show fear where
there is no reason to be afraid.

What has to be done for you to be able to return
to Haiti? What do you intend to do to make that
happen? It’s been six years now. It must be very
tough for you not to be able to return with your
family. You must feel very homesick.

There is a Swahili proverb which says: “Mapenzi
ni kikohozi, hayawezi kufichika” - or “love is
like cough that you cannot hide.”

I love my people and my country, and I cannot
hide it, and because of that love, I am ready to
leave right now. I cannot hide it. What is
preventing me from leaving, as I said earlier, if
I look from South Africa, I don’t know.

But when you ask the question to the people
responsible here, they say they don’t know.

Well (pause) I am grateful to South Africa, and I
will always be grateful to South Africa and
Africa as our mother continent. But I think
something could be done in addition to what has
been done in order to move faster towards the
return, and that is why, as far as I am
concerned, I say, and continue to say that I am
ready. I am not even asking for any kind of
logistical help because friends could come here
and help me reach my country in two days. So I did all that I could.

Do you think that the Haitian government is
sending signals to the South African government
that they are not ready? For instance, maybe they
do not want you to return because they are
concerned about security issues for you. The
Haitian government may not be able to ensure your
security. There are some individuals who, for
ideological reasons, don’t support you and could
go as far as to try to assassinate you. Is that part of the problem?

In Latin they say: “Post hoc ergo propter hoc” or
"after this, therefore because of this." It’s a
logical fallacy. In 1994, when I returned home,
they said the same: if he comes back the sky will
fall. I was back during a very difficult time
where I included members of the opposition in my
government, moving our way through dialogue in
order to heal the country. But unfortunately we
did not have a justice system, which could
provide justice to all the victims at once.
However slowly, through the Commission of Truth
and Justice, we were paving the way to have
justice. Now I will not come back as a head of
state, but as a citizen. If I am not afraid to be
back in my country, how could those who wanted to
kill me, who plotted to have the coup in 2004, be
the first to care about my security? It’s a
logical fallacy. (laughs) They are hiding, or try
to hide themselves behind something that is too small
no no no no.

Are they afraid of your political influence –
afraid that you can affect change?

Yes, and I will encourage those who want to be
logical (laughs), not to fear the people, because
when they say they fear me, basically it’s not
me. It’s the people, in a sense that they fear
the votes of the people. They fear the voice of
the people and that fear is psychologically
linked to a kind of social pathology. It’s an
apartheid society, unfortunately, because racism
can be behind these motivations.

I can fear you, not for good reasons, but because
I hate you and I cannot say that I hate you. You
see? So we need a society rooted in equality. We
are all equal, rich and poor and we need a
society where the people enjoy their rights. But
once you speak this way, it becomes a good reason
for you to be pushed out of the country or to be
kidnapped as I was (laughs). But there is no way
out without that dialogue and mutual respect. This is the way out.

In your view, what is the last element missing
for you to go back? You said there was one more
thing they could do for you do go back. Can you tell us that?

They just need to be reasonable. The minute they
decide to be reasonable, the return will happen right away.

And that means one phone call into the US State
Department ? One green light from one person?
Technically, what does that mean?

Technically I would say that the Haitian
government, by being reasonable, would stop
violating the constitution and say clearly that
the people voted for the return as well. The
constitution wants us to respect the right of
citizens, so we don’t accept exile. That would be the first step.

Now if other forces would oppose my return, they
would come clear and oppose it but as long as we
don’t start with a decision from the Haitian
government, it makes things more difficult.

So the first gesture has to come from the Haitian government?

Yes

And they could make this happen by telling the US
State Department you should be allowed to come back, and should come back.

They would not have to tell the State Department.

So it’s not a political decision in Washington?
It’s between the Haitian government and the South African government?

As a matter of fact, I don’t have a passport
because it is expired. I have the right to a
diplomatic passport. By sending me a normal
diplomatic passport there would be a clear signal
of their will to respect the constitution.

But it’s the Haitian government that has to do that?

Yes

Or they could just renew your Haitian passport?

Yes

Ask you for a new photo of yourself and issue a new passport?

(laughs) You see why when I said earlier that we
should not continue to play as a puppet
government in the hands of those who pretend to
be friends of Haiti. I am right because as long
as we continue to play like that we are not
moving from good to better or good to good, but from bad to worse.

There was a lot of noise lately in the US media
about the candidacy of singer Wyclef Jean, who
eventually was denied running by the CEP (Haiti's
Interim Electoral Commission). Any comment about
the whole commotion around his candidature?

When we say democracy we have to mean what we
say. Unfortunately, this is not the case for
Haiti. They talk about democracy but they refuse
to organize free and fair democratic elections.
Is it because of a kind of neocolonial
occupation? Is it because they still want
exclusion and not inclusion that they refused to
organize free and fair democratic elections?

Last year, we observed that they said they wanted
to have elections, but in fact they had a
selection and not an election. Today they are
moving from the same to the same. They are not
planning to have free and fair democratic
elections. They are planning to have a selection.
They excluded the Lavalas* party, which is the
party of the majority. It is as if in the US they
could organize an election without the Democrats.
So from my point of view, Wyclef Jean came as an
artist to be a candidate and it was good for
those who refuse elections because they could
have a “media circus” in order to hide the real
issue, which is the inclusion of the majority. So
this is my view of the reality.

Looking back at the dramatic events that lead to
your overthrow in 2004, is there anything in
hindsight that you wished you had not done?
Anything tactically or strategically that you
wish you had done differently and that could have prevented the coup?

If I could describe the reality from that day in
2004 to today, you would allow me to use the
Hebrew phrase again (speaks in Hebrew), which
means “from bad to worse”. That is how it has
been from 2004 to today. When we look at that
coup d’état, which was a kidnapping, I was
calling for dialogue and they manipulated a small
minority of Haitians to play the game of moving
from coup d’état to coup d’état, instead of
moving to free and fair democratic elections. The
first time Haiti had free and fair democratic
elections was 1990, when I was elected. Then we
wanted to move from elections to elections. So in
2004, we were moving towards a real democracy and
they said no. The minority in Haiti – the
political and economic elite – is afraid of free
and fair elections, and their foreign allies
don’t want an election in Haiti. That is why they
excluded Famni Lavalas. As long as they refuse to
respect the right of every citizen to participate
in free and fair democratic elections, they will not fix the problem.

That is an interesting answer, but I was more
thinking of strategic mistakes you made such as
asking France to pay reparation in 2003. In doing
that, you lost a natural ally that could have
stood with you before the coup and within the
United Nations Security Council to protect your
government. In fact, France stood with the US and
did not come to your rescue this time, probably
because they were very upset by your demand for restitution.

I don’t think this is the case. The first time I
met with French President Jacques Chirac, I was
in Mexico. At that time he was with Prime
Minister Dominique de Villepin. I invited them to
join us to celebrate freedom as a universal
value. So that was an opportunity for France to
realize that yes, Haiti and France can stand up
together to celebrate freedom as a universal value.

In 1789, when France had their revolution, they
declared “liberty, equality, fraternity” for all
people, but in the back of their minds slaves
were not human beings. To them neither Haitian
nor African slaves were human. We fought hard and
we got our independence; it was not a gift. It
was the blood of our forefathers that was shed to
gain our freedom. Despite that, we did not want
to celebrate our 200 years of independence with
any kind of spirit of vengeance, nor a spirit of
glory to remind France of what they had done. It
wasn’t that. It was an invitation to celebrate
freedom as a universal value. So that would give
a wonderful opportunity for France if they wanted
to do it together. That would not exclude the
truth because the truth is they obliged Haiti to
pay 90 million francs, which for us today, is
more than 21 billion USD. This is restitution, not reparation.

In 2001, here in Durban South Africa, the UN gave
the Haitians and French an opportunity to address
this issue of reparation. The French refused, but
we respectfully asked them to let us have an
opportunity to address this issue in a mutually
respectful way. In one word – if today I were the
President of Haiti, as I was in 2004, I would ask
France to join Haiti to celebrate freedom, but
also to address this issue of 21 billion USD. As
a matter of fact, a head of state elected by his
people must respect the will of the people. When
President Sarkozy went to Haiti after the
earthquake, Haitians were not begging for cents,
they were asking for the 21 billion USD because
it is a question of dignity. Either we have
dignity or we don’t, and Haitians have dignity.
That means we respect your dignity, so you should
also respect our dignity. We will not beg for
cents. Cents will never solve the problems of
Haiti. After 200 years of independence, we are
still living in abject poverty. We still have
what we had 200 years ago in terms of misery. It
is not fair. So if we want to move from misery to
poverty with dignity, France must address this
issue with Haitians and see what kind of
agreement will come out from this important issue.

But don’t you think now, with hindsight, that
this may have cost you your presidency?

It could be part of the picture but I don’t think it was the main reason.

If France had asked the UN Security Council to
send UN peacekeepers to maintain your government,
do you think you would not have been pushed out of power?

Sometimes you know there are diplomatic words to
cover something else. I think at the time, the burning issue was Iraq.

France opposed the US on this issue and that was
a golden opportunity for them to sacrifice Haiti
in terms of leading and participating in a coup
or in the kidnapping of a president.

But the real reason underneath was that France
did not want you to annoy them anymore with this
request. 2003 was the first time, at least
publicly and officially, that a Haitian President made such a request.

I smile because former colonists defend their
interests, not their friends. Even if they call
themselves friends of Haiti, they will always
continue to defend their own interests.

We could compare what is going on right now
today, post-earthquake, to what was going on in
2004, in order to find out if France is really
helping Haiti and if they would change their
policy or not. From my point of view, they would
not change their policy because they have enough
in front of them, in terms of the disaster, to
address the issue of 21 billion USD now. But they
still don’t want to, meaning that if they don’t
want to address it today after what happened in
Haiti in January 2010. I don’t think they would
have changed their policy in 2004.

That is my way to read it. But maybe one day the
French government will take up the issue because
men can change if they want to change. I wish
they would change their policy to respectfully
address the issue with Haiti, because it’s a must.

As a matter of fact, as soon as Gérard Latortue
was placed as Prime Minister after your removal,
the Haitian government dropped the issue right away.

But that did not kill the issue (laughs). If we
look at the history of Haiti before 2004, no one
dared to address the issue, but we were moving
from misery to poverty with dignity. Then when we
addressed the issue they did not want to answer –
but that does not kill the issue. It means that
it will remain a reality as long as they refuse to address it.

My wish is that, one day, they will realize that
they have to do it. What happened with Italy and
Libya? Italy addressed the issue of reparation
and that was good for both countries. The same
way that we must address with France the issue of restitution.
I remember a recent article from Jacqueline
Charles in the Miami Herald where an historian
was quoted as saying: “Lavalas was never a party.
It was a movement, which is now in deep crisis
and divided among distinct factions led by some
of its old barons''
They all want the Lavalas
vote without appealing to Aristide. So, yes,
Lavalas as we knew it is dying a slow death.'' He
was commenting on the current debate around the
future elections in Haiti. What do you think of what he said?

Some people pretend they are experts on Haiti but
they often act like people suffering from social
amnesia. When you take a group of mice and you
put them in a lab, if these mice don’t have the
capacity of producing oxytocin in the brain, they
are not able to recognize other mice. That is how
it is, it is a fact. These people suffer from
social amnesia. They are unable to recognize
Haitians as human beings because of our color,
our poverty and misery. The majority of the
Haitian people declared “Lavalas is our political
party.” That is what the majority said and they
have their constitution, so how can someone
pretend that it’s not? These people, from my
humble point of view, act as if they were mental
slaves, meaning they have their masters giving
them financial resources to say this, and they
can cover themselves under a “scientific”
umbrella, when in fact they are mental slaves.

So there is this amnesia because most
commentators admit that Préval won in 2006 thanks
to the Lavalas base. Many in Haiti want to use
Lavalas as well to win, but nobody wants the
Lavalas party to win or mention your name in the
process. How do you feel about this contradiction?

Unfortunately, what South Africa had before 1994
is what Haiti still has as a reality today. The
structure of apartheid is still rooted in the
Haitian society. When you have apartheid, you
don’t see those behind the walls. That is the
reality of Haiti. The people exist, but they
don’t see the people and they don’t want to see
them. That is why they don’t count them. They
want to use them, but they don’t want to respect their will.

When they talk about Lavalas and the Haitian
people, they fear them because if there is a fair
election the people will defeat them. So they
have to exclude the Lavalas party or the
majority, in order to make sure that they will
select what they want to select. So this is the
kind of apartheid that they have in Haiti. If you
say that, they will hate you and they may try to
kill you. It is because they don’t want you to
see the reality. Why do I say this? It’s because
I love my country. If you have a cancer and
refuse to call it a cancer, it will kill you. You
better accept it and find a way to prevent death.
That is what I want for my country.

But there has been some opportunism lately. We
saw people like your former friend and later foe
Evans Paul asking for your return. They are using
you to get support from the Lavalas base. Or many
want to appeal to Lavalas but are scared to
mention you. What is your thought on this current reality in Haiti?

The day I would think that I can use the Haitian
people, the Haitian people would start to
distance themselves from me and deny me. They
would be right to do that, because no one, as a
politician, should pretend the people are dumb
enough to be used for votes, for instance. I did
my best to respect the Haitian people and I will
continue to do my best to show respect for them
and for their wishes. In 1990, when I was elected
president, people were working in sweatshops for
nine cents an hour. When I managed to raise the
minimum wage it was enough to have a coup. And it
happened in Honduras last year because part of
the game was this: don’t raise the minimum wage, so people must work as slaves.

Today, the Haitian people remember what together
we were trying to do. We were not just using them
for votes. They are not dumb: we were moving
together through democratic principles for a
better life. If now they continue to ask for my
return six years after my kidnapping that means
they are very bright. They may be illiterate, but
they are not dumb. They remember what together we
were trying to do. So I wish that the politicians
would not focus on me, but rather on the people
and not the people for elections but for their
rights – the right to eat, the right to go to
school, the right for healthcare, and the right
to participate in a government. Unfortunately, in
2006 they elected someone who betrayed them, so
they realize that now. Wow. They say: Who else
will come? Will that person betray us after
getting our votes? They are hesitating, and I
understand them because they are not dumb.

Now here is a practical question. How do you want
to deal with the Lavalas party in Haiti? You are
still the national leader of Lavalas. Don’t you
think that it would be a better idea to transfer
the leadership to someone in Haiti? Would that
not be a better long-term strategy, rather than
hanging on to the title of party leader? After
all, that's one of the pretexts used to not allow
Lavalas to participate in the past elections and the future of Haiti as well?

If we respect the will of the people, then we
must pay attention to what they are saying. I am
here, but they are making the decisions. If today
they decide they have to go that way, then you
have to respect their will. That means I am not
the one preventing them from moving on with a
congress and having another leader and so on. As
a matter of fact I am not acting as national
leader outside of Haiti, not at all. I don’t
pretend to be able to do that and I don’t want to
do that. I know it would not be good for the people to do something like that.

They have said that it is a question of
principle. First, they want my return, and then
they can organize a congress to elect a new
leader and move ahead. I respect that. If today
they want to change it, I will their will. That is democracy.

What is behind the national picture is a logical
fallacy. It’s a logical fallacy when, for
instance, they pretend they have to exclude
Lavalas to solve the problem. To not have Lavalas
in an election, because it's a selection, it’s a logical fallacy.

Before I said ”Post hoc ergo propter hoc” or
“after this, therefore because of this” and now I
can say “Cum hoc, ergo propter hoc,” - “With this
therefore because of this.” It’s a logical
fallacy as well. They would not solve the problem
without the majority of the people. They have to
include them in a free and fair democratic
election with my return or before my return or
after my return. The inclusion of the people is
indispensable to be logical and to move towards a
better Haiti. That’s the solution.

So practically, if you were to say today that you
would endorse Maryse Narcisse as the national
leader they would accept Lavalas candidates?

Last year I received a letter from the
Provisional Electoral Council, by the way, a
council that was selected by the president, which
is why they do what he wants. Excluding Lavalas
was the implementation of the will of the government of Haiti.

I received a letter from them inviting me to a
meeting and I said to myself, “Oh that is good. I
am ready. I will go.” Then they said in the
letter, “If you cannot come, will you send
someone on your behalf?” So I said okay and I
replied in a letter (1), which became public,
asking Dr. Maryse Narcisse to represent Lavalas
and to present the candidates of Lavalas based on
the letter I received from the CEP. But they
denied it because the game was to send the letter
to me and assume that I would not answer. Then
they could tell the Haitian people, “Look he does
not want to participate in the election.” So they
were using a pretext to pretend that they are
intelligent, but in reality to hide the truth.

Did they not claim it was false at some point, or
that it was not your signature?

They claimed that the mandate from me should have
been validated by the Haitian consulate in South
Africa, when they know that there is no
representative of the Haitian government in South Africa, you see.

No embassy at all.

No. When I was President, I had named an
Ambassador to South Africa, but that ended with
the coup. After our independence, we had to wait
until 1990 to have free democratic elections. We
cannot change the economic reality in one day, in
one year, but at least we should continue to
respect the right of Haitians to vote. So today,
why play with the right to vote? It’s cynical.
You cannot improve their economic life and you
deny them their right to vote. It’s cynical.
South Africa did something which could be good
for many countries, including Haiti. In 1994,
when South Africans could vote, they voted. They
are trying to move from free and fair elections
while trying to improve their economic life. This
is the right way to go. Not denying the right for
poor people to vote while you cannot even improve their life.

The night of the coup. You spoke about it already
and at the time you said to me that you were
writing a book about it. Is that still in the works?

The book has been finished since 2004.

Ready to be published?

It was ready to be published and it would be
published if I were allowed to do that.

Do you still remember the night of the coup - and
I am sure you do because nobody is used to being
awakened in the middle of the night and sent on a
plane surrounded by armed people. Do you wish you
had said no to Mr. Moreno, “I am not signing this
letter of resignation” or “I won’t get on that
plane. I will deal with the security issues in Haiti with my government”?

As I just said, if I were allowed to publish the
book, the book would have been published in 2004.
So in the book, you have the answers to your
important questions and that is why now I will
not elaborate on it, based on what I just said.
In one word, I would do exactly what I did and I
would say exactly why I said because it was right
what I said and what I did. They were wrong, and they are still wrong.

What is known is the letter (2) in Kreyol that
you signed and was according to you mistranslated.

Of course it was mistranslated.

Right, but you also you clearly stated that you
were forced at gunpoint and that’s public knowledge.

It is, but if I don’t elaborate, it’s not because
I want to give an evasive answer. It’s just based on what I said to you before.

What if the book never gets published?

Maybe it’s the same reason why I am still here
(laughs). I wish they let me leave as well as let
the book get published (laughs).

There have been these accusations (3) of
corruption against you starting with filmmaker
Raoul Peck and then taken over by Ms. Lucy
Komisar and Ms. Mary Anastasia O’Grady of the
Wall Street Journal about your personal
involvement in a Teleco/IDT deal back in 2003.
Can you put these accusations to rest?

First, they are lying. Second, what can we expect
from a mental slave? (laughs) He will lie for his
masters. He is paid to lie for his masters, so I
am not surprised by these nonsensical allegations. As I said, they are lying.

They are lying. But it’s possible that maybe
under you at some level in your government there
was some corruption involving Teleco and IDT?

I never heard about things like that when I was
there and I never knew about it. If I had known,
of course we would have done our best to stop it
or to prevent it or to legally punish those who
could have been involved in such a thing.

Why have you not declared this publicly? Because
these things happen all the time. I am sure there
is corruption at every level in the South African
government as there is under the Obama
Administration. Things happen and we don’t need
to examine Haiti only to find it. You could say
that you were the head of state but not the head of Teleco. Things happen.

As I said, there are more people receiving money
to lie than people receiving money to tell the
truth. I don’t know how many times I have
answered this question, but sometimes the
journalist may have the answer but is not allowed to make it public. (laughs).

Would you be in favor of creating a Haitian Truth
and Reconciliation Commission, similar to what
South Africa did, that would allow some of the
people who have been exiled under Duvalier and
Cedras and your two presidencies to come back and
be called to appear in that commission - and ask
for forgiveness and amnesty if needed?

What I will say now, is not because I am now
outside Haiti wanting to go back that I will say
it. No, I already said it and I will just repeat
it: There is no way to move forward in Haiti
without dialogue. Dialogue among Haitians. Once
we had an army of 7,000 soldiers controlling 40%
of the national budget, but moving from coup
d’état to coup d’état. I said no. Let’s disband
the army, let’s have a police force to protect
the right of every citizen, let’s have dialogue
to address our differences. There is no democracy without opposition.

We have to understand one another when we oppose
each other. We are not enemies, so we have to
address our differences in a democratic way and
only then can we move ahead. I have said it so
many times already. We still have people calling
themselves friends of Haiti coming to exploit the
resources. They don’t want national dialogue.
They don’t want Haitians to live peacefully with Haitians.

South Africa did it when they had The Commission
of Truth and Reconciliation. People came and
realized that they had made mistakes. Everybody
can make mistakes. You must acknowledge that you
made mistakes, and the society will welcome you.
If you cannot do that through tribunals because
of the numbers, then find a way to address it. We
cannot pretend that Haiti will have a better
future without that dialogue. We must have it.

In 1994, when I went back to Haiti from exile, we
established a Commission for Truth and Justice
and Reconciliation. I passed the documents to the
next government, and I never heard about it
again. Haitians never heard about it because the
government wanted to move fast towards
privatization of state enterprises instead of that path which was recommended.

Would that mean allowing all the political exiles
to come back no matter how bad they were,
including people like Raoul Cedras and Jean-Claude Duvalier.

I will not move forward with conclusions outside
of that framework of justice. The Commission
addressed the case of these criminals and paved
the way for justice and dialogue. You see, so I
said it and will continue to say it: We need to
continue to address this issue of dialogue, truth
and justice. Otherwise, we will continue to play
either like a puppet government or be mental
slaves in the hands of those who still want to
exploit our resources and they will not decide to
change it for Haitians. Haitians must start to
say no. Let’s change it – not against foreigners,
not against true friends, with them if they want,
but they will not do it for us unless we start to do it.

Do you hold a grudge today against president René
Préval for not being more forceful in trying to
facilitate your return to Haiti? He owes his
election thanks to the Lavalas base.

If I pay attention to what the people are saying,
they describe President Préval as someone who
betrayed me and it's true. They voted for him. I
did not vote, I was here, but those who elected
him now realize he has failed them. He betrayed them.

He is playing in the hands of those who are
against the interests of the people – that is what they said.

Do you feel personally betrayed? I am sure you
realize the difficulties of the situation he was in.

Personally, I say let’s put the interests of the
people first. Not my interests. If I can do
something for him, or if I have to, I will do it.
It’s a matter of principle an in his case he did
not have to do anything for me. He just had to
respect the constitution. The constitution does
not allow exile. He should not violate the
constitution. That is it. But as he did, history
takes note and history will recognize that he failed, unfortunately.

I remember a famous progressive journalist in
Geneva reviewing my film (4) and one of the
critics he had was that I did not speak about
voodoo and how it affects Haiti’s politics. What
do you think of this tendency among many western
journalists who try to explain Voodoo as one main reason for Haiti’s problems?

I enjoy drawing parallels between voodoo and
politics. Why? Because in the west when they want
to address political issues, they may, as you
suggested or indicated, mix it with voodoo as a
way to avoid going straight to the truth. The
truth could be, for instance, historical.

Fourteen years after Christopher Columbus arrived
in Haiti, in 1492, they had already killed three
million indigenous people. Do they speak about it
today? Do they know about it? I don’t know. At
that time, one could be 14 years old and would
have to pay a quarter of gold to Christopher
Columbus or they would cut your arm or feet or
ears. Do they talk about it? If you do, it’s like
“oh really or maybe.” They have problems exposing
the truth, acknowledging what was going on at
that time. And if you look at the reality of
today, it is almost the same thing.

Last week there was some trouble because of
storms and earthquakes and Haiti lost about ten
people, some say five some say more than ten. In
any case, even if it were one person, it would
already mean a lot for us because a human being
is human being. Instead of focusing on what is
the reality of misery, abject poverty,
occupation, colonization, some prefer to find a
scapegoat through voodoo. The UN itself had to
expel 114 soldiers for rape and child abuse. So
we see people invading a country, pretending to
help, while they are actually involved in rape,
child abuse and so on. And it is not an issue for
people who like to talk about voodoo as if voodoo
by itself could cover this reality. The same way
they don’t want to face our historical drama linked to colonization.

Is it a racist distraction?

It is, it is. I respect religion and will respect
any religion. Africans had their religion here.
They went to Haiti and continued their practice
and I have to respect that. In addition, the
Haitian constitution, respects freedom of
religion. So let’s address the drama, misery,
poverty, exploitation, occupation, and people
without the right to vote or eat. People want to
be free. They don’t have self-determination.
Let’s focus on people who have no resources and
are dying. We had such a wonderful solidarity
after January 12 in the world, where citizens
worldwide were building solidarity with Haitians.
That was great to see Whites and Blacks crossing
barriers of color to express their solidarity
with the victims of the deadly earthquake.

And on behalf of the Haitian people, if I may, I
will say thank you to all those true friends who
did it while others who call themselves true
friends of Haiti preferred to send soldiers with
weapons to protect their own interests instead of
protecting human beings who were really
suffering. Amputations – we had them by the
thousands without anesthesia. They were cutting
hands and feet of victims and it’s not an issue
for some people who prefer to talk about voodoo
as if voodoo could be the cause of what is going
on in Haiti. No, what is going on in Haiti is
rooted in colonialism, neo-colonialism in that
neoliberal policy applied and imposed upon Haiti,
not in religious issues like voodoo. For me, as
long as they don’t try to face the reality as it
is, they may continue to use issues like voodoo
to hide facts, any attempt to replace truth by racist distractions will fail.

Anything that you would like to add that you have
at heart and have not been able to tell?

Well
 if you ask a Zulu* person the way to reach
somewhere while you are on the right path, that
person will tell you (in Zulu): “Ugonde ngqo
ngalo mgwago” which means go straight on your way.

That is why the Haitian people who are moving
from misery to poverty with dignity should
continue to move straight towards that goal. If
we lose our dignity we lose everything. We are
poor – worse than poor because we are living in
abject poverty and misery. But based on that
collective dignity rooted in our forefathers, I
do believe we have to continue fighting in a
peaceful way for our self-determination, and if
we do that, history will pay tribute to our
generation, because we are on the right path.

Mr. President, thank you for your time.

*****************
Footnotes:
[*] Lavalas is a Creole word meaning ‘flood’,
‘avalanche’, a ‘mass of people’ or ‘everyone
together’. Fanmi means ‘family’. [*] Zulu is the
name of the largest ethnic group in South Africa
and the most widely spoken home language as well.
(1) Letter of President Aristide - November 2009
- authorizing Dr. Maryse Narcisse to register
Lavalas candidates.
<http://www.hayti.net/tribune/index.php?mod=articles&ac=commentaires&id=725>http://www.hayti.net/tribune/index.php?mod=articles&ac=commentaires&id=725
(2) Letters of resignation of Jean-Bertrand
Aristide - The Kreyol translation by professor
Bryant Freeman,
<http://www.nathanielturner.com/aristidedidnotresign.htm>http://www.nathanielturner.com/aristidedidnotresign.htm
- The official translation provided by the US
embassy and used most widely in mainstream
medias,
<http://articles.cnn.com/2004-03-01/world/aristide.letter_1_constitution-jean-bertrand-aristide-haitian-president-jean-bertrand-aristide?_s=PM:WORLD>http://articles.cnn.com/2004-03-01/world/aristide.letter_1_constitution-...
(3) “Aristide’s American Profiteers”, an article
by Mary Anastasia O’Grady,
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121720095066688387.html>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121720095066688387.html
(4) “Aristide and the Endless Revolution”, a
documentary by Nicolas Rossier,
<http://www.aristidethefilm.com>http://www.aristidethefilm.com

Nicolas Rossier is an award winning independent
filmmaker and reporter who lives in Brooklyn New
York. In 2005, he directed and produced the
outstanding 85-minute documentart, "Aristide and
the Endless Revolution." For copyright
information and publishing rights, please contact
the author at <mailto:Nicrossier at gmail.com>Nicrossier at gmail.com.