[News] Mexico: Another Triqui leader Slain in Oaxaca

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 27 14:24:03 EDT 2010

Mexico: Another Triqui leader Slain in Oaxaca
Written by Nancy Davies

http://upsidedownworld.org/main/mexico-archives-79/2509-mexico-another-triqui-leader-slain-in-oaxaca
Wednesday, 26 May 2010 10:45

Less than a month after the deaths of two
activists in the ambush of a humanitarian caravan
headed  to San Juan Copala, an armed group
assassinated the indigenous leader Timoteo
Alejandro Ramirez, a member of the  Movimiento de
Unificación y Lucha Triqui-Independiente (MULT-I)
and a founder of the autonomous community now
under siege.  The armed group entered the home of
Ramirez in the community of Yosoyuxi, which has
been giving shelter to those who fled San Juan
Copala.  The shooters also murdered
Ramirez'  wife. At the same hour another armed
group fired weapons  in the surroundings of the
autonomous municipality of San Juan Copala as a warning to the townspeople.

The spokesperson and human rights representative
of San Juan Copala, Jorge Albino Ortiz said that
the murderers, according to neighbors in
Yosoyuxi, arrived between 2:00 and 2:30  in the
afternoon in a three ton truck to supposedly
offer the sale of beer, soda and maize. The
pushed their way into Ramirez' dwelling and began to shoot.

After killing Ramirez and his wife they escaped
on the truck and left Yosoyuxi. The group was
composed of mestizos dressed in civilian clothing
and wearing white Texas-style hats; they appeared
to be  from the neighboring town of Putla Villa de Guerrero.

The spokesperson held responsible the  Movimiento
de Unificación y Lucha Triqui (MULT) because, he
said, "all the assassins of Putla are linked with
this organization and also with Unididad de
Bienestar Social de Region Triqui (Ubisort). It
was the MULT; it (the assassination) was paid for by the MULT. "

Albino Ortiz  described Ramirez as a natural
leader of the Triqui people and  the "political
brain" of the Autonomous Municipality of San Juan
Copala. A “natural leader” is someone whom the
community selects as a leader, through usos y costumbres

It seems, Ortiz added, we're talking about a
concerted action to maintain panic among the
defenders of the autonomous municipality. This
latest aggression will not stop the next peace
and aid caravan scheduled for June 8,  Albino Ortiz declared.

At the same time, the Secretary General of
Government Evencio Nicolas Martinez Ramirez said
that the murder of the director of MULT-I and his
wife was not officially confirmed but that he
would give instructions to the attorney general
for Justice and to the commission of Public
Security, to investigate The attorney for the
Triqui region seated in Huajuapan de Leon,
Wilfrido Almaraz, said he had received the order
to send officials and medical experts  to Yosoyuxi.

News appeared in the press with denunciations of
events by the United Nations human rights
committees among others, causing Ulises Ruiz, who
had made no statement, to initiate procedures three days after the event.

The band Los Raices [The Roots] performs at the celebration.
On the evening of Friday, May 21, the Oaxaca
group known as VOCAL sponsored a fiesta
celebrating the lives of the slain caravaners,
Bety Cariño and Jyri Jaakkola. The fiesta
included music from the 2006 movement with APPO
songs, and the production of the traditional sand
tapete, with Bety’s image on the left side and
Jyri’s on the other. The altar, as these
memorials are called, was surrounded by flowers and candles.

Amid the reading of letters and poems celebrating
the lives of the dead,   VOCAL activist David
Venegas, one of the riders on the caravan,
presented his memorial speech. In it, he said:

We are now living in a state of exception, a
fascist war. Never before has a group of
foreigners been deliberately shot at in Mexico.
Some people, Venegas continued, thought the
sounds of bullets were rain. But it was bullets,
a rain of bullets, it keeps on raining bullets,
it’s war. It is a war for the entire nation
 We
are prisoners of war, and now we respond with
a  declaration of war, with words and music but
also with barbed wire in the streets. The events
of April 26 represent the ultimate we can
tolerate. Those who want to vote will do so
[referring to the upcoming July 4 election]. They
are killing us, if they made clear their goals so
do we, it’s the only thing we can do. They want
the moment when nothing remains
We are not
discouraged. We are a brave people. The entire
country of Mexico wants what we want.

Venegas called for a demonstration on May 27 at
4:00 PM;  a group will march from Siete Regiones Fountain to the zócalo.

The Oaxaca government assures the public that an
investigation will go forward and that crimes in
the Triqui region including the murders of the
MULTI leader Timoteo Alejandro Ramírez, 46 years
old, and and his wife Tleriberta Castro Aguilar,
aged 36, will be punished. Four spent shells of a
9 millimeter were picked up at the home of the
leader as well as two pieces of the projectiles
and a  machete were retrieved as evidence.

No crime by paramilitaries has ever been
punished, or even prosecuted, in Oaxaca,
including the murders of 26 during the social
movement of 2006,  along with hundreds of imprisoned, tortured and disappeared.