[News] Jena Sheriff Seeks Revenge for Civil Rights Protests

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 13 16:38:17 EDT 2010

<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jordan-flaherty/jena-sheriff-seeks-reveng_b_575413.html>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jordan-flaherty/jena-sheriff-seeks-reveng_b_575413.html

Drug Bust or Racist Revenge?
By Jordan Flaherty

Sheriff Scott Franklin of Jena says he is trying
to rid his community of drugs. Critics say he is
pursuing a vendetta against the town’s Black community.

At four am on July 9 of last year, more than 150
officers from 10 different agencies gathered in a
large barn just outside Jena, Louisiana. The day
was the culmination of an investigation that
Sheriff Scott Franklin said had been going on for
nearly two years. Local media was invited, and a
video of the Sheriff speaking to the rowdy gathering would later appear online.

The Sheriff called the mobilization “Operation
Third Option,” and he said it was about fighting
drugs. However, community members say that
Sheriff Franklin’s actions are part of an
orchestrated revenge for the local civil rights
protests that won freedom for six Black high
school students - known internationally as the
Jena Six - who had been charged with attempted murder for a school fight.

One thing is clear: the Sheriff spent massive
resources; yet officers seized no contraband.
Together with District Attorney Reed Walters,
Sheriff Franklin has said he is seeking maximum
penalties for people charged with small-time
offenses. Further, in a parish that is
eighty-five percent white, his actions have
almost exclusively targeted African Americans. In
a town with just over three hundred Black
residents, he sent his 150 officers only into the town’s Black neighborhood.

Downtown Baghdad

According to a report from Alexandria’s Town Talk
newspaper, LaSalle Parish Sheriff Scott Franklin
prepared the assembled crowd for a violent day.
"This is serious business what we're fixing to
do," said Sheriff Franklin. "If you think this is
a training exercise or if you think these are
good old boys from redneck country and we're just
going to good-old-boy them into handcuffs, you're
wrong. These people have nothing to lose. And they know the stakes are high."

“It's going to be like Baghdad out in this
community at five am,” he continued dramatically,
explaining that their target was 37-year-old
Darren DeWayne Brown, who owns a barbershop – one
of the only Black-owned businesses in town – and
his “lieutenants,” who Franklin said supplied
eighty percent of the narcotics for three
parishes. "Let me put it to you this way,"
declared the Sheriff, "When the man says, 'We
don't sell dope today,' dope won't get sold."

Sheriff Franklin said that option one is for drug
dealers and users to quit, option two is to move,
and option three is to spend the rest of their
lives in prison. And this day was all about
option three. "They will get put in handcuffs,
put behind bars today and never see the light of
day again unless they are going out on the playground in prison,” he boasted.

At the end of the day, a dozen people were
arrested on charges that ranged from contempt of
court to resisting arrest to distribution of
marijuana, hydrocodone, or cocaine. Despite
catching the accused residents by surprise with
early morning raids, in which doors were battered
down by SWAT teams while a helicopter hovered
overhead and then search teams were brought in to
take houses and businesses apart, no drugs or
other physical evidence were retrieved – other
than small traces of marijuana at one house.

Virtually all evidence in the cases comes from
the testimony of twenty-three-year-old Evan Brown
of Jena, who also wore a hidden camera that
parish officials have said provides powerful
visual evidence. “We’re completely satisfied with
the results,” said LaSalle Sheriff’s Department
Narcotic Chief Robert Terral, who refused further comment on the operation.

LaSalle Parish is a politically conservative
enclave located in northwest Louisiana. Former
Klansman David Duke received a solid majority of
local votes when he ran for governor in 1991—in
fact, he received a higher percentage of votes in
LaSalle Parish than in any other part of the state.

The Parish became famous in 2007 for the case of
the Jena Six. In demonstrations that were called
the birth of a 21st Century civil rights
movement, an estimated 50,000 people from across
the US marched in Jena – nearly twenty times the
population of the town. They were protesting a
pattern of systemic racism and discriminatory
prosecutions. All six youths, who once faced life
in prison, are now either enrolled in college or are on their way.

The Sheriff told the Jena Times that he began
preparing for Operation Third Option in November
of 2007, less than two months after the historic
protests. The raid occurred just a few weeks
after the Jena Six cases were finally settled.

A Terrifying Morning

Catrina Wallace, 29, was sleeping in her bed with
her youngest child when her door was broken down
and she awoke to the feeling of a gun to her
head. When she opened her eyes, her small home
was filled with police. “I never seen that many
police at one time,” she recalled. “Everywhere I
looked all I saw was police. There were six or
seven just in my bedroom.” She says police
pointed guns at her small children and wouldn’t let her comfort them.

Catrina Wallace is the sister of Robert Bailey,
one of the Jena Six. Along with her mother,
Caseptla Bailey, she was one of the leaders of
the campaign to free the accused youths, and she
organized meetings and protests for months.
Wallace says her political activism made her a
target. “I’m a freedom fighter,” she says. “I
fight for peoples’ rights. I’ve never been in trouble.”

Police found no drugs or any other evidence of
wrongdoing in Wallace’s home. Officers initially
claimed they found marijuana on her kitchen
table, but later discovered that they had
collected broccoli stems, left over from dinner the previous night.

Despite the lack of evidence, and the fact that
she has lived her whole life in Jena and is
raising three small children, she was held for a
$150,000 cash-only bond. Her car, a 1999
Mitsubishi Gallant, was also taken by police, who
continue to hold it in an impound lot, along with
about fifty other vehicles seized that day. If
she wants it back, Catrina will have to pay
twelve dollars a day to the lot for every day
since July of last year – an amount already larger than the value of the car.

Tasered and Traumatized

Samuel Howard was sleeping in his bed, naked,
when police broke down his door at five am.
Howard says police tasered him three times, twice
in the back and once in his arm, and pointed guns
at his three kids. They took him out of his house
still naked, and brought him to a baseball field,
along with the other arrestees from that
day.  There he says he spent another hour without
any clothes, standing with the other arrestees,
until police brought him an orange jailhouse jumper.

“They treated us like we was hard core killers,”
says Howard, who says that in a small town like
Jena where everyone knows each other, such
violent tactics are uncalled for. “The sheriff
knows me,” he says. “We went to school together.
He knows I’m not a violent person.”

Howard is being charged with three counts of
distribution of cocaine. His trial is scheduled
for May 24 (Catrina Wallace’s is scheduled for
the same week). As with the other defendants, the
only evidence against him is the testimony and
video from the police informant. Howard, who has
seen the evidence, says he is not implicated in the video.

His home was badly burned up that day, apparently
from flares that police fired inside, and his
windows were all destroyed. Howard, who does some
auto repair work, says his four vehicles –
including two older cars that don’t run - were also seized by police.

Racially Motivated

Many of Jena’s Black residents say that the
town’s white power structure – including the DA,
Sheriff, and the editor of the local paper -
wants revenge against Black people in town who
stood up and fought against unjust charges. They
complain that in a town that is mostly white, all
but two of the people arrested were Black, and
the only arrestees pictured in the town’s paper were Black.

The sheriff “Just wants to humiliate people,”
says Caseptla Bailey, Wallace’s mother,
“Especially the African Americans.” The editor
and publisher of the Jena Times, the town’s only
paper, is Sammy Franklin, who has owned the paper
since 1968. His son is Sheriff Scott Franklin.

A white-owned store around the corner from the
courthouse in downtown Jena sells t-shirts
commemorating Operation Third Option, with a
design of a person behind bars. Black residents
of Jena say that an earlier version of the shirt
featured a monkey behind bars. They say that
white residents of Jena have gloated about the arrests.

Four of those arrested on that day have pled
guilty. Chelsea Brown, who was arrested for
contempt of court, received a sentence of 25
days. Devin Lofton, who pled guilty to conspiracy
to distribute, received ten years. Adrian
Richardson, 34, who pled guilty on April 23 to
two counts of distribution, received twenty-five
years. Termaine Lee, a twenty-two-year-old who
had no previous record but faced six counts of
distribution, received twenty years.

Some of the accused have hired attorneys, while
others have had public defenders appointed.
However, all involved say they doubt they can
receive a fair trial in LaSalle. They say that
white defendants with similar or worse charges
received lower bonds, and face lesser sentences.
“It’s crooked,” says Howard. “They ain’t playing fair down here, that’s all.”

Marcus Jones, the father of one of the Jena Six
youths, doesn’t mince words. “This is racially
motivated,” he says. “It’s revenge.” He says that
the problem is that while the Jena Six youths
were freed, there were no consequences for the
Sheriff or DA. “Wouldn’t none of this be going on
if justice had been done the way it was supposed to have been,” he says.

Jones was not among those arrested, but in a
small town like Jena, he knows everyone involved.
He says he was shocked at the resources the
police brought in. “Why did you need helicopters
and military weapons?” he asks. “I could see it
if you were going to arrest Noriega or the Mafia,
but these are people with kids in their homes.
The Sheriff’s department never had any violent
run-ins with any of these people.”

Jones believes the entire campaign by Sheriff
Franklin has been a gesture of asserting control
over the Black community, and he calls for a
federal investigation of the Sheriff’s department and DA.

Samuel Howard says that now he mostly stays home
with his three kids, ages 12, 14, and 15. He’s
afraid of the Sheriff’s office arresting him if
he leaves the house, and he wants to stay close
to his kids, who were traumatized by his arrest.
“It scared them to death,” he says. “They still talk about it to this day.”

“They know they’re wrong,” said Howard, referring
to the Sheriff and DA, “You can’t tell me they don’t know.”

Jordan Flaherty is a journalist, an editor of
Left Turn Magazine, and a staffer with the
Louisiana Justice Institute. He was the first
writer to bring the story of the Jena Six to a
national audience and audiences around the world
have seen the television reports he’s produced
for Al-Jazeera, TeleSur, GritTV, and Democracy
Now. Haymarket Books will release his new book,
FLOODLINES: Community and Resistance from Katrina
to the Jena Six, this summer. He can be reached
at <mailto:neworleans at leftturn.org>neworleans at leftturn.org.

Marcus Jones, Catrina Wallace, and others in Jena
are available for interviews.