[News] Paraguayan Farmers Mobilize for Agrarian Reform

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Mar 30 10:49:47 EDT 2010

Paraguayan Farmers Mobilize for Agrarian Reform

http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1903/1/
Written by Benjamin Dangl
Monday, 29 March 2010

Thousands of Paraguayan farmers raised their
clubs, fists and placards into the air while
marching through the streets of Asunción, the
capital city, on Thursday, March 25. The farmers
demanded that President Fernando Lugo follow
through on his campaign promises for agrarian
reform, including the distribution of land to
poor farmers, and access to health care,
education, better homes and roads for rural
communities. After a year and a half in office,
Lugo’s failures to meet such demands have led
various farmer organizations to directly oppose his administration.

“We can’t speak of change if 80% of the fertile
land in the country is in the hands of 1% of the
population, while 85% of the campesinos [small
farmers] have access to only 6% of all the land,”
National Campesino Federation (FNC) general
secretary Odilón Espínola
<http://www.abc.es/agencias/noticia.asp?noticia=324244>told Efe.

The situation in rural Paraguay is dire; 38% of
the country’s population lives under the poverty
line, and most of this sector is based in rural
areas. Paraguay has one of the most unequal
distributions of land in the world, and the
rapidly expanding
<http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/3093/the_multinational_beanfield_war/>soy
industry is making matters worse.

Participants in the March 25 mobilization also
focused demands on the soy industry, which is
directly linked to their displacement and
marginalization. For years, large soy producers
have been displacing small farmers through
violence and intimidation. The toxic pesticides
soy producers use have had terrible health
effects on small farmers who live near the soy
fields, while also poisoning their water sources,
and killing crops and livestock.

Campesino leader Espínola told
<http://www.europapress.es/latam/paraguay/noticia-paraguay-miles-campesinos-marchan-asuncion-reclamar-lugo-mayor-compromiso-reforma-agraria-20100325170417.html>Europa
Press that Lugo has continued the “same discourse
[as previous presidents] and has not followed
through on his promises to realize agrarian
reform.” Since the end of the dictatorship in
1989, Espínola said that “no government has
responded to the needs of the campesinos.”

Responding to the marchers, President Lugo told
<http://www.telesurtv.net/noticias/secciones/nota/69126-NN/campesinos-paraguayos-marchan-para-exigir-a-lugo-reforma-agraria/>Telesur,
“Unfortunately we haven’t been able to execute
[agrarian reform] at the speed that we hoped to,
but it is moving forward at a slow speed, and we
have prioritized these demands.”

If the demands of the marchers are not met,
campesino leader Marcial Gómez
<http://lta.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idLTASIE62O0LJ20100325?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0>told
Reuters that they would have to resort to their
standard strategies of direct action.  Without a
response from Lugo, “We don’t have any other
choice but to resort to other means used in our
historic struggle such as the occupation of lands
and the blockading of highways if we want to
obtain a small piece of land to work on.”

***

Benjamin Dangl is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/190485933X?ie=UTF8&tag=commondreams-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=190485933X>The
Price of Fire: Resource Wars and Social Movements
in Bolivia (AK Press) and the forthcoming book
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849350159?ie=UTF8&tag=commondreams-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1849350159>Dancing
with Dynamite: Social Movements and States in
Latin America (AK Press). He is the editor of
<http://towardfreedom.com/>TowardFreedom.com, a
progressive perspective on world events and
<http://upsidedownworld.org//>UpsideDownWorld.org,
a website on activism and politics in Latin
America. Email: Bendangl(at)gmail(dot)com
Close Window