[News] Another U. S. Atrocity in Afghanistan

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 15 11:06:19 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff03152010.html

March 15, 2010

This Time It's Pregnant Women

Another U. S. Atrocity in Afghanistan

By DAVE LINDORFF

Another night-time raid on a housing compound in Afghanistan. Another
bunch of innocent Afghans killed. Another round of lies by the US-led
forces of the so-called International Security Assistance Force
(ISAF). Only this time, among the dead are two pregnant mothers and a
teenage girl.

And once again the US media remain mute, accepting the official
story, which was of ISAF forces responding to an attack which in
reality appears never to have happened.

Before I started to write this piece, which once again was broken by
the intrepid
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7060395.ece>Jerome
Starkey, a reporter in Afghanistan who works for the Times of London,
I thought maybe I should read the Sunday edition of the New York
Times, to see whether America's "paper of record" had reported on
this latest atrocity. But the night before we had suffered a heavy
storm that knocked down three large trees in my front yard, and there
was currently a thunderstorm underway, with rain pouring down, so I
decided, what the hell, I'll just write it. There's no way the Times
would cover this story.

I was right, of course. When the rain let up, and I went out and got
the paper, and scoured it for word of this latest obscene slaughter
by US forces, I found nothing. The Times' reporters in Afghanistan
and the reporters in the paper's Washington bureau who cover the
Pentagon had ignored it. So, a Google search discloses, did the rest
of the servile US media.

So what actually happened?

According to Starkey, US and Afghan Army forces on February 12
launched a pre-dawn assault on the home of a prominent and popular
policeman's home just outside of Gardez, the capital of Paktia
province in eastern Afghanistan. The first person to die was
reportedly the policeman himself, Commander Dawood, who had stood in
his doorway protesting the innocence of his family. In the volley of
fire directed against him by the brave US-led team, his pregnant
wife, another pregnant woman and an 18-year-old girl were also slaughtered.

Commander Dawood had been hosting a party to celebrate the naming of
a newborn baby boy, Starkey reported. As he writes:

Sitting together along the walls of a guest room, the men had taken
turns dancing while musicians played. Mohammed Sediq Mahmoudi, 24,
the singer, said that at some time after 3am one of the musicians,
Dur Mohammed, went outside to go to the toilet. "Someone shone a
light on his face and he ran back inside and said the Taliban were
outside," Mr Sediq said.

Also killed was Dawood's brother, Saranwal Zahir, a local prosecutor,
who had been shouting for soldiers not to shoot as women had run
outside to tend to the wounded.

A younger brother of the two men, Mohammed Sabir, was arrested by the
invading forces and brought to a US base, where he was held for
several days and interrogated by " an American in civilian clothes,"
before being released. Sabir said he was shown photos of a man who
had been at the party, a certain Shamsuddin. Sabir says he told the
interrogatyor, "Yes, he was at the party. Why didn't you arrest
him?"  The man in question, Shamsuddin, later turned himself in and
was, after questioning, reportedly also released.

Raising the question, what was this raid, and all the pointless
killing, about in the first place?

As Starkey writes, the US and the ISAF initially, following what
appears to be standard operating procedure, concocted a lie about the
incident In a release immediately afterward, under the headline,
"Joint force operating in Gardez makes gruesome discovery," the NATO
release claimed that the US-led team had found the women's bodies
"tied up, gagged and killed" in a room. That statement went on to
say: "Several insurgents engaged the joint force in a firefight and
were killed."

As Starkey, who charges NATO with a "coverup," reports: "The family,
however, insists that no one threw so much as a stone."

He goes on:

Rear Admiral Greg Smith, NATO's director of communications in Kabul,
denied that there had been any attempt at a cover-up.

He said that both the men who were killed were armed and showing
"hostile intent" but admitted "they were not the targets of this
particular raid."

"I don't know if they fired any rounds," he said. "If you have got an
individual stepping out of a compound, and if your assault force is
there, that is often the trigger to neutralise the individual. You
don't have to be fired upon to fire back."

He admitted that the original statement had been "poorly worded" but
said "to people who see a lot of dead bodies" the women had appeared
at the time to have been dead for several hours.

Starkey reports that the Americans offered the distraught family
$2000 per victim of the botched raid. But as the mother of the slain
brothers, Bibi Sabsparie, told him bitterly, "There's no value on
human life. They killed our family, then they came and brought us
money. Money won't bring our family back."

So once again, we have a massacre (in a night-time raid that occurred
two weeks after the US commander in Afghanistan, Gen. Stanley
McChrystal ordered an end to the practice because of the number of
errors and civilian deaths, and the bad public relations such raids
cause among Afghans), with no coverage by the US media.

Meanwhile, Starkey says that even in the UK, his stories have been
ignored by the rest of the British media, and that his own efforts to
get at the truth have begun causing problems with the US-led military
command in Afghanistan.

As he told one reader who had written him to congratulate him on his work:

"Word in Kabul is that NATO are turning their wrath on me,
personally, and about to release a rebuttal. All of a sudden it's a
daunting prospect and more than ever I feel what it must be like to
be churned through the military machine. It's good to know people
appreciate it. I've also had emails from the victims' family, which
is heartening."

It is not easy to be an honest reporter in wartime, where sycophancy
and blind patriotism are what is demanded. Sadly, the US media are
taking the easy way out, accepting the rules of being embedded, which
require them to submit articles for censorship, to avoid being
critical and to play the game, in return for getting easy human
interest stories to send back to the readers and viewers back home.

That's not journalism. It's PR. It ought to be labeled as such.

Extra! Also ignored by the Times and most of the rest of the US
corporate media was a
<http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2010/03/judge-refuses-to-dismiss-suit-against-rumsfeld-.html>historic
decision by a federal judge in Chicago on March 4 to compel former
Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to respond to charges by to US
torture victims that Rumsfeld authorized their torture by US forces
at Camp Cropper in Iraq. The two men, David Vance and Nathan Ertel,
were whistleblowers against the private security (mercenary) firm
that had hired them, claiming it was secretly providing arms to
insurgents. Instead of getting the firm investigated, they were
arrested by US troops and held--and tortured, they claim--for three
months, before being released without charge and sent home to the US.

Their attorney, Mike Kanovitz of Chicago's Loevy & Loevy, correctly
calls the quashing of Rumsfeld's effort to have the suit against him
thrown out, "pretty historic"--a former secretary of defense is being
accused of authorizing the torture of American citizens and will have
to answer the charge in a federal court--but you wouldn't know it
from the response of the US mainstream media, which has been...nothing.

Dave Lindorff is a Philadelphia-based journalist and columnist. His
latest book is
"<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/031237254X/counterpunchmaga>The
Case for Impeachment" (St. Martin's Press, 2006 and now available in
paperback). He can be reached at
<mailto:dlindorff at mindspring.com>dlindorff at mindspring.com