[News] Executing Handcuffed Afghan Kids?

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 4 11:33:22 EST 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff03042010.html

March 4, 2010

No Story Here! US Press Sits on Story

Executing Handcuffed Afghan Kids?

By DAVE LINDORFF

When Charlie Company's Lt. William Calley ordered and encouraged his
men to rape, maim and slaughter over 400 men, women and children in
My Lai in Vietnam back in 1968, there were at least four Americans
who tried to stop him or bring him and higher officers to justice.
One was helicopter pilot Hugh Thompson Jr., who evacuated some of the
wounded victims, and who set his chopper down between a group of
Vietnamese and Calley's men, ordering his door gunner to open fire on
the US soldiers if they shot any more people. One was Ron Ridenhour,
a soldier who learned of the massacre, and began a private
investigation, ultimately reporting the crime to the Pentagon and
Congress. One was Michael Bernhardt, a soldier in Charlie Company who
witnessed the whole thing, and reported it all to Ridenhour. And one
was journalist Seymour Hersh, who broke the story in the US media.

Today's war in Afghanistan also has its My Lai massacres. It has them
almost weekly, as US warplanes bomb wedding parties, or homes
"suspected" of housing terrorists that turn out to house nothing but
civilians. But these My Lais are all conveniently labeled accidents.
They get filed away and forgotten as the inevitable "collateral
damage" of war. There was, however, a massacre recently that was not
a mistake--a massacre which, while it only involved fewer than a
dozen people, bears the same stench as My Lai. It was the
execution-style slaying of eight handcuffed students, aged 11-18, and
a 12-year-old neighboring shepherd boy who had been visiting the
others, in Kunar Province, on Dec. 26.

Sadly, no principled soldier with a conscience like pilot Hugh
Thompson tried to save these children.  No observer had the guts of a
Michael Brernhardt to report what he had seen. No Ron Ridenhour among
the other serving US troops in Afghanistan has investigated this
atrocity or reported it to Congress. And no American reporter has
investigated this war crime the way Seymour Hersh investigated My Lai.

There is a Seymour Hersh for the Kunar massacre, but he's a Brit.
While American reporters like the anonymous journalistic drones who
wrote CNN's December 29 report on the incident
(<http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/afghanistan.deaths/index.html>http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/afghanistan.deaths/index.html),
took the Pentagon's initial cover story--that the dead were part of a
secret bomb-squad--at face value, Jerome Starkey, a reporter in
Afghanistan working for the Times of London and the Scotsman, talked
to other sources--the dead boys' headmaster, other townspeople, and
Afghan government officials--and found out the real truth about a
gruesome war crime--the execution of handcuffed children.  And while
a few news outlets in the US like the New York Times did mention that
there were some claims that the dead were children, not bomb-makers,
none, including CNN, which had bought and run the Pentagon's lies
unquestioningly, bothered to print the news update when, on Feb. 24,
the US military admitted that in fact the dead were innocent
students. Nor has any US corporate news organization mentioned that
the dead had been handcuffed when they were shot.

Starkey
<http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/world/8-weeks-on-Nato-admits.6102256.jp>reported
the US government's damning admission. Yet still the US media remain
silent as the grave.

Under the Geneva Conventions, it is a war crime to execute a captive.
Yet in Kunar on December 26, US-led forces, or perhaps US soldiers or
contract mercenaries, cold-bloodedly executed eight hand-cuffed
prisoners.  It is a war crime to kill children under the age of 15,
yet in this incident a boy of 11 and a boy of 12 were handcuffed as
captured combatants and executed. Two others of the dead were 12 and
a third was 15.

I called the Secretary of Defense's office to ask if any
investigation was underway into this crime or if one was planned, and
was told I had to send a written request, which I did. To date, I
have heard nothing.  The Pentagon PR machine pretended to me on the
phone that they didn't even know what incident I was talking about,
but without their "help" I have learned that what the US military has
done--no surprise--is to pass the buck by leaving any investigation
to the International Security Assistance Force--a fancy name for the
US-led NATO force fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan. It's a clever
ruse. The ISAF is no more a genuine coalition entity than was  George
Bush's Iraq War Coalition of the Willing, but this dodge makes
legislative investigation of the event impossible, since Congress has
no authority to compel testimony from NATO or the ISAF as it would
the Pentagon. A source at the Senate Armed Services Committee
confirms that the ISAF is investigating, and that the committee has
asked for a "briefing"--that means nothing would be under oath--once
that investigation is complete, but don't hold your breath or expect
anything dramatic.

I also contacted the press office of the House Armed Services
Committee to see if any hearings into this crime have been planned.
The answer is no, though the press officer asked me to send her
details of the incident (Not a good sign that House members and staff
are paying much attention--the killings led to country-wide student
demonstrations in Afghanistan, to a formal protest by the office of
President Hamid Karzai, and to an investigation by the Afghan
government, which concluded that innocent students had been
handcuffed and executed, and no doubt contributed to a call by the
Afghan government for prosecution and execution of American soldiers
who kill Afghan civilians.)

There is still time for people of conscience to stand up in the midst
of this imperial adventure that may now appropriately be called
Obama's War in Afghanistan.  Plenty of men and women in uniform in
Afghanistan know that nine Afghan children were captured and murdered
at America's hands last December in Kunar. There are also probably
people who were involved in the planning or carrying out of this
criminal operation who are sickened by what happened. But these
people are so far holding their tongues, whether out of fear, or out
of simply not knowing where to turn (Note: If you have information
you may contact me). There are also plenty of reporters in
Afghanistan and in Washington who could be investigating this story.
They are not. Don't ask me why. Maybe ask their editors.

Dave Lindorff is a Philadelphia-area journalist. His work can be
found at
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net>www.thiscantbehappening.net. He
can be reached at <http://www.thiscantbehappening.net>dlindorff at yahoo.com.